Macauley Bonne

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Macauley Bonne

Post by ZENITH R » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm

What is happening with him?

He has played a lot less football than any of other strikers, but with three goals has the best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio at the club.

He's started 9 games in all competitions with 22 substitute appearances. Of those 9 games, he's only managed the whole 90 minutes 4 times.

Of the 31 games he has been involved in: We have won 10, drawn 9 and lost 12. Most of those defeats (8) came last year when our form was definitely suspect.

His three goals he has taken well, and I would have thought he would have been a good bet when we needed a goal late in a game (all three came in the last four minutes of games).

When he has come off the bench it has often been late in the game (the last 10 minutes), yet when he has been the first sub used - eight times, we have won four, drawn three and only lost once. It makes you wonder about his usage.

Of course, he might have spoken out of turn like Kane, but not been as public about it. But that is pure speculation on my part.

He has been criticized on here by some, but I don't see what he can do, while he's warming the bench.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Macauley Bonne

Post by old pauline » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm

Quite simply, I think he has been usurped by Charlie Austin.

I'm not sure about his future with us but I would like to see him and Kelman being given some proper game time now that the play-offs are all but out of reach.

I think the hope might be that one of our young strikers like Kelman or Sincalir Armstrong might come through next year and do a Kevin Gallen because I think we need one of them to come good if our other striker is Dykes or Bonne.
Come on you Sooopa ........

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:10 pm
What is happening with him?

He has played a lot less football than any of other strikers, but with three goals has the best goals to minutes on the pitch ratio at the club.

He's started 9 games in all competitions with 22 substitute appearances. Of those 9 games, he's only managed the whole 90 minutes 4 times.

Of the 31 games he has been involved in: We have won 10, drawn 9 and lost 12. Most of those defeats (8) came last year when our form was definitely suspect.

His three goals he has taken well, and I would have thought he would have been a good bet when we needed a goal late in a game (all three came in the last four minutes of games).

When he has come off the bench it has often been late in the game (the last 10 minutes), yet when he has been the first sub used - eight times, we have won four, drawn three and only lost once. It makes you wonder about his usage.

Of course, he might have spoken out of turn like Kane, but not been as public about it. But that is pure speculation on my part.

He has been criticized on here by some, but I don't see what he can do, while he's warming the bench.
I'm not sure what these stats really tell us. His "involvement" in the vast majority of those 31 games was largely peripheral, and while he did take his three goals well, they were basically two free headers and a breakaway when the opposition were throwing men forward in search of an equaliser. He simply doesn't seem to offer anything much in terms of all round play, whereas Dykes (IMO) did until his lack of goals completely drained his confidence. After his goal at Sheff Wed, Bonne played the full 90 mins in the next three against Bournemouth, Preston and Birmingham, and 60 mins at Barnsley. The team drew a blank in all four games.

I wouldn't be averse to seeing him getting more game time now we're safe and the pressure is off, and it would be great to see show him some form, but I don't think he can have too many complaints about not starting games over the last three months or so.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Not a huge amount to add beyond what Ux has said. I'm sure the scouting team saw something there but we haven't there's been times he's completely scared of the ball. Hopefully he can find some form and be a useful player off the bench which is probably his ceiling.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:04 pm

At least he isn't lazy and arrogant like some recent youngsters we have had in the hoops. :roll:
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:04 pm
At least he isn't lazy and arrogant like some recent youngsters we have had in the hoops. :roll:
Who's do you mean?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm

I suspect come the close season it will be Macauley Bon-Voyage. And possibly Lyndon OnYerBikes. :oops:
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm
I suspect come the close season it will be Macauley Bon-Voyage. And possibly Lyndon OnYerBikes. :oops:
Leaves up pretty short up front

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Who comes to mind? I can't think of anyone we've had like that since we cleared out the PL shite.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:35 pm
Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm
Leaves up pretty short up front
We'll get some other geezers in. :)

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Satch wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Who comes to mind? I can't think of anyone we've had like that since we cleared out the PL shite.
He's referring to the small section of our support that thought Eze was lazy and had the wrong attitude.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:02 am

222gers wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:35 pm
Satch wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
He's referring to the small section of our support that thought Eze was lazy and had the wrong attitude.
We have a winner!
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.