Keeping our feet firmly on the ground

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Keeping our feet firmly on the ground

Post by beaglebum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Firstly i want to give a massive applause to Warburton, Les and the team for 6 wins out of 7 and for the loan acquisitions that have so far made a big difference to our season. Those who wanted MW and LF out will hopefully now appreciate the good job they are doing under such difficult conditions with the financial restraints at the club. Well done. aniclap aniclap aniclap

Although the playoffs may be a bridge too far, ironically had we had played and won the 2 postponed games against Wycombe and Rotherham (both winnable) and if BOS had tapped in the last minute winner against Norwich and we had held on to beat Wycombe before Christmas, we'd be on the same pts as Bournemouth in 6th. All ifs I know.

That said, on paper most would've expected us to lose the last 4 games against Watford, Blackburn, Brentford and Bournemouth in which case we would now be firmly in the bottom 3. Our next 2 games against Preston and Birmingham are probably easier than the last 4. But then again our only defeat in the last 7 was against Derby which on paper was the easiest of the lot! So the point of this post is to say well done to the team but we are no means out of the woods yet and there's still a long way to go. I have a feeling that more than 50pts will be required to stay up this season. But on the same token, maybe not as many pts will be required to finish 6th.

But let's emjoy this run and the feeling it brings for as long as we can and stay behind the team no matter what.

U R'ssss

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Keeping our feet firmly on the ground

Post by carrotstick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm

I think the applause needs to go to the person who got in Charlie Austin, the whole season has changed since his loan signing.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:26 pm

carrotstick wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm
I think the applause needs to go to the person who got in Charlie Austin, the whole season has changed since his loan signing.
Absolutely but i think its not just Austin but the confidence having a natural goal scorer does for the whole team. I mean no disrespect to Dykes or Bonne but as a team mate wouldn't you get fed up knowing that games have been lost because no one can put the ball in the net and every mistake gets punished. I know i would.

QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-FOREVER-N-EVER » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm

That will be Slaven Bilic and Sam Allardyce not really playing him much?! πŸ˜…
CMON U SUPPA HOOOPSA!!!!

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:43 pm

Well, who ever it was, they are the ones that deserve the applause. CA has been the catalyst for our remarkable change in fortunes.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Austin has had a huge effect on the team but there are other changes that have made an impact this year.

The switch to the 3412 formation has made us a more solid side. Johansen has turned in fantastic performances for us. The excellent substitutions have won a few games. And it's clear Warburton has compromised a bit on his football philosophy to get us playing a more pragmatic and ultimately successful game.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:04 pm

dm wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Austin has had a huge effect on the team but there are other changes that have made an impact this year.

The switch to the 3412 formation has made us a more solid side. Johansen has turned in fantastic performances for us. The excellent substitutions have won a few games. And it's clear Warburton has compromised a bit on his football philosophy to get us playing a more pragmatic and ultimately successful game.
Agree with all of this. And I would add the importance of the confidence and belief that comes from winning games. It can all turn very quickly, for better or worse. Brentford go 21 games unbeaten and then lose three in a row to teams in the bottom half of the table. Liverpool were unbeaten at home for 68 games and have now lost four on the bounce. No wins in nine games for us followed by six in seven. That's football. If it were entirely predictable, it wouldn't be worth watching.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm

beaglebum wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Those who wanted MW and LF out will hopefully now appreciate the good job they are doing under such difficult conditions with the financial restraints at the club. Well done. aniclap aniclap aniclap
Thanks Beagle, best post of the weekend, Warburton's done better than expected, his brief was/is to retain Championship status,
I think that's probable now.

Austin and the other loans were game changers, without them we'd still be in the poo we were in a month ago.

Goal scoring's a problem: Charlie should be retained purely as a coach on that front, our other front 2 are
seriously below par and that's a problem going forward.

This season is about survival for me, playoffs are a pipe dream at the moment, but ultimately how do we
progress on the pitch next season?
Staff Benda Bilili

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:03 pm

I think its still a case of see how we progress this season in terms of development of the players we have. You could argue that those on the following list all have elements of development to work on :-

Dieng
Lumley
Kane
Wallace
Hamaleinen
Kakay
Dickie
Barbet
Ball
Field
Chair
Willcock
Bonne
Dykes
Kelman

Probably missed a couple of others but idea is to show that there is progression in all these players and for me, their development this season is what we should aim for.

Would like to think that we have a good coaching set up currently with Warbs, Eustace, Banfield and co, and this is reflected in the progression within the squad.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 pm

Andy_N19 wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Those who wanted MW and LF out will hopefully now appreciate the good job they are doing under such difficult conditions with the financial restraints at the club. Well done. aniclap aniclap aniclap
Thanks Beagle, best post of the weekend, Warburton's done better than expected, his brief was/is to retain Championship status,

Austin and the other loans were game changers, without them we'd still be in the poo we were in a month ago.

Goal scoring's a problem: Charlie should be retained purely as a coach on that front, our other front 2 are

This season is about survival for me, playoffs are a pipe dream at the moment, but ultimately how do we
Great post why in earth would you want Charlie Austin on the pitch?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 pm

QPR-NI wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 pm
What on earth are you talking about?
Charlie playing for us is fantastic, him as an attacking coach would be good also.

I've said before NI that you're boring and tedious and you've just re-confirmed that opinion.
By the way do you still feel I have a hot line to Lavrentiy Beria?
Staff Benda Bilili

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 am

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 pm
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:30 pm
What on earth are you talking about?
Charlie playing for us is fantastic, him as an attacking coach would be good also.

I've said before NI that you're boring and tedious and you've just re-confirmed that opinion.
By the way do you still feel I have a hot line to Lavrentiy Beria?
No mate, tedious and boring, is ridiculing the team players and management every opportunity you get.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 am

Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 am
No mate, tedious and boring, is ridiculing the team players and management every opportunity you get.
I rest my case.
Staff Benda Bilili

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by loonee » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:34 am

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Just to clarify, are you suggesting we keep Charlie next season but only as a coach?

He's only 31, why would he want to pack up playing already?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm

loonee wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:34 am
Just to clarify, are you suggesting we keep Charlie next season but only as a coach?

He's only 31, why would he want to pack up playing already?
We should sign him up as a player! But it won't happen since we have no dosh.

The forwards we have are so poor I'm sure they're learning from his positioning and
anticipation of situations.
Bonne - poor 1st touch, no left foot, poor positioning acumen
Dykes - lack of pace, no 1st touch, lack of technical nous
Oteh - read Dykes
Kelman - there is promise I believe

which is why I'd have liked him to come in as a striking coach.

Yes he should be playing. Alas I suspect it won't be for us next season.
Staff Benda Bilili