Considering an Upgrade of this board

Admin stuff, CHAT ROOM and other links, how to pay/donate, post images, downloads, etc etc.
Got a question? LOOK HERE FIRST
DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Considering an Upgrade of this board

Post by DG » Thu May 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi folks.

I'm thinking of upgrading the version of the software used for this message board from PHPBB 2.0x to PHPBB 3.0x. There a re a few reasons for this, not least being the newer version is more efficient, has more features and is currently supported.

One of the features would be a friend/foe list which enables all users to effectively choose which posters they wish to see and which they wish to ignore. This is probably the most frequently requested feature.

The look and feel would be similar to the current one but not exactly the same. If you google phobb 3 you will find some boards that use it to get the idea. There is also a small risk that all previous usernames and passwords could be lost in the upgrade, which would mean re-registering. This I know would be a pain for everyone and is one of the main reasons I have not upgraded so far. However the new version is now well understood and the risk is small, and much smaller than even a couple of months ago.

So - what do you reckon? This is not a democratic question - I won't be held by the numbers going for wither yea or nay but I am interested if there is any strong feeling one way or the other. Thanks.
Locum meum praecepta mea

luke_mullet
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by luke_mullet » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I say go for it. If you think it's better in the long run then upgrade. Change always pisses some people off but they will get used to it.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 am

luke_mullet wrote:I say go for it. If you think it's better in the long run then upgrade. Change always pisses some people off but they will get used to it.
aniclap

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 am

I am on a couple of forums which have upgraded and my details were retained during the change.
The friend / foe this is amusing; there are a few posters who I definitely do not see eye to eye with but I would never 'block' them
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 am

Esox Lucius wrote:I am on a couple of forums which have upgraded and my details were retained during the change.
The friend / foe this is amusing; there are a few posters who I definitely do not see eye to eye with but I would never 'block' them
Just a thought on the friend/foe concept - does this merely block posts by specific people or threads they have started? I can see it making a mess of some threads if particular posters are excluded, and how would it work when their posts are included in quotes?

Stan
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I'd also never block anybody. I say go for it if you feel it's right.
next year, we'll be champions..

Boston R's
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Boston R's » Sun May 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:I am on a couple of forums which have upgraded and my details were retained during the change.
Absabloodylutely.

Cait
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Cait » Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 pm

That's me f****d then everyone will want to ignore me.

Scuzzbucket
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Scuzzbucket » Tue May 31, 2011 11:26 am

ive never found this site inefficient, i see no major reason to change after looking at othe boards using the newer tech...but thats just my opinion.

DAVEf
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by DAVEf » Tue May 31, 2011 11:42 am

Scuzzbucket wrote:ive never found this site inefficient, i see no major reason to change after looking at othe boards using the newer tech...but thats just my opinion.
And, for what it's worth, mine too.

And "opinion" is only that. I'm grateful for and happy with the board as it is but/so anything that makes it easier/safer to run can't be argued against.
Last edited by DAVEf on Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virginia_R

Post by Virginia_R » Tue May 31, 2011 11:53 am

DAVEf wrote:
Scuzzbucket wrote:ive never found this site inefficient, i see no major reason to change after looking at othe boards using the newer tech...but thats just my opinion.
And, for what it's worth, mine too.
I'd say go ahead Drew.

Just on *why* the upgrade is needed - it's far easier to patch for security flaws/perform general maintenace when you use an updated version of phpBB. It's hard enough to run a website, keeping out hackers/spam bots without crippling yourself with antiquated software with security loopholes a mile wide... (not that phpBB 2.0 is like that currently - but will eventually)

luke_mullet
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by luke_mullet » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Any news on this?

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:12 am

Still under consideration.
Locum meum praecepta mea

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 am

DG wrote:Still under consideration.
It's only been a couple of months - no need to rush into it :)

JH
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by JH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:26 am

When I read that you were upgrading the board, I initially feared for some posters being allowed to partake in this fair community.

Now I understand its just technical stuff...oh well, as I am sure Churchill would have said...ahem "Never in the field of human endeavour have so many owed so much to you Drew!"