PNE Game

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

PNE Game

Post by 222gers » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 pm

Sky swoop again. Kick off Saturday 5.15 but at least lt's pm.
Next year with the new “improved” SKY Deal it might well be 5.15 am. I wouldn't put it past them.
And the clubs voted unanimously to accept it.
Football is nothing without the fans ?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: PNE Game

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:36 pm

Seems an odd game for them to choose to show live. Hopefully it means the Leeds game is less likely to be rescheduled.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:00 pm

....damn SKY just focked again my plans....I bought the flights 2 days ago....the problem is the return flight at 9pm, very tight with the game ending at 7pm...I could still catch it, but I would need to run to Heathrow....so I moved it one week ahead - hoping that SKY does not screw that date too - ...then hotels in London are madness that Saturday, double than the usual fares...may be some event running...but after searching around I managed to get a new Ryan air flight on the Sunday from the beautiful holidays resort location of LUTON, just £ 15 !!!! then a coach from Paddington well after the match, allowing me to enjoy - hopefully - the entire match and an hotel room near the airport at a decent price...
anyway F##K SKY for ever and ever.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:44 pm

Giorgio, you have suffered at the hands of Sky.
The annoying thing is that the Rangers along with all the other clubs voted for the Sky deal which, if we stay up, will be a damned sight worse than at present.
I suppose the club are over a barrel as the income from TV matches is v high.
As Clive on LFW said - it's not a sport, it's now a TV programme.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:21 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:44 pm
...honestly last season and the one before had been worse....I remember counting half of our home matches NOT been played on a Saturday 3pm KO...that's meaning for me....getting a night in west London...never a cheap option... :roll: :roll:

...this season thanks to our poor form we have not been selected very often .... :lol: :lol:

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:42 pm

For me, that's the worst start time.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:52 pm

I'm surprised that so many fans are passive and compliant about being told by a fifth rate TV company when they can go and support their team.
I know we can't, when push comes to shove, do a great deal about it but I've written to the league, Sky and QPR, particularly a few seasons ago when we were on something like a dozen times in one season. I even wrote to the Times ( they didn't print my letter of course ! ).
Some fans have protested on the terraces.
We are in football terms, second class citizens.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:47 am

Schedule should be fixed at start of season, in fact as soon as fixture list is out. Then No flex. If they don't want to show the scheduled game then I dont care, they can get another broadcast unit to the new fixture and show both games, one the other or neither. No change of time or date.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm

There is this strange view that if a game is on TV, it will mean the physical attendance at the game will drop, not just at the televised game, but at others being played on the same day/ same time. This is of course nonsense, and after all this time there is plenty of evidence to prove the point. It also shows a total lack of understanding of football fans.

I have Sky, and watch some, but by no means all the games they show. If it was a straight choice between watching the R's or the Liverpool v Manchester United game on TV, there is no contest. The televised game unless it involves QPR, doesn't even figure in my thinking.

They should scrap this stupid rule, and show their live games at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:44 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm
There is this strange view that if a game is on TV, it will mean the physical attendance at the game will drop, not just at the televised game, but at others being played on the same day/ same time. This is of course nonsense, and after all this time there is plenty of evidence to prove the point. It also shows a total lack of understanding of football fans.

I have Sky, and watch some, but by no means all the games they show. If it was a straight choice between watching the R's or the Liverpool v Manchester United game on TV, there is no contest. The televised game unless it involves QPR, doesn't even figure in my thinking.

They should scrap this stupid rule, and show their live games at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.
There was some talk of the TV ban on Saturday afternoon being scrapped next season as Sky will be showing a lot more games. In the end they opted for the status quo. I think it will go eventually.
If we stay up I imagine all our games v “big name” clubs will be on Sky with just the ones v Plymouth etc left for Saturday pm.
Anyone know if Sky have decided how many Champ games will be on TV ? It's certain to be higher than this season.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 am

222gers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:44 pm
The annoying thing is that the Rangers along with all the other clubs voted for the Sky deal which, if we stay up, will be a damned sight worse than at present.
I suppose the club are over a barrel as the income from TV matches is v high.
As Clive on LFW said - it's not a sport, it's now a TV programme.
The clubs are indeed complicit in the whole thing, beholden to the money that comes from Sky's coverage. They could push back to a degree, but are obligated to allow a certain number of homes games to be covered. Fans are very much a secondary consideration, if that.

Of course there'll be plenty of people complaining about this kind of thing while simultaneously paying eye-watering sums for Sky Sports packages. Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

FrenchRanger
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by FrenchRanger » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 am

I remember many years ago an episode of "They Think It's All Over" where the Sports Minister (I don't recall who that was at the time) was a guest, and he made a joke that tiddlywinks would soon be the only live sport one would be able to watch on terrestrial TV thanks to Sky buying up the rights to everything at the time...
Regular panelist Lee Hurst's reply : "Well you're the bloody sports minister, why don't you do something about that?"
Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld

qprphilip
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by qprphilip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 am

I know it's a pain in the back side especially for fans who have to travel with Sky sodding about with things, however I don't think it affects attendances that much. I don't go to QPR games anymore due to health reasons, and, being 50 miles away which I know is nothing compared to a lot of you. I watch my local club Ebbsfleet in the National League as it's five minutes from me, now, they are televised now and again throughout the season, if it is being televised I will go to the ground to watch it, no way will I sit at home, nothing like the atmosphere than being at the game, so as I say football fans will go to the game whatever.

qprphilip
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by qprphilip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:32 am

Just to add to my post above, obviously it's the only way I get to see a Rangers game, so, for me it's a bonus being able to watch them.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:08 pm

qprphilip wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:29 am
I know it's a pain in the back side especially for fans who have to travel with Sky sodding about with things, however I don't think it affects attendances that much. I don't go to QPR games anymore due to health reasons, and, being 50 miles away which I know is nothing compared to a lot of you. I watch my local club Ebbsfleet in the National League as it's five minutes from me, now, they are televised now and again throughout the season, if it is being televised I will go to the ground to watch it, no way will I sit at home, nothing like the atmosphere than being at the game, so as I say football fans will go to the game whatever.
I'm pretty sure the reason attendances hold up with sky games is that ST holders who live many miles away might stay at home and watch on TV but they are counted in the crowd figures.

Like you, I attend fewer games these days due to failing health even though I'm local.
I'll still renew my ST although I reckon soon I'll install a VPN, pretend I'm in Greenland and watch on QPR+ for a tenner a time. I wouldn't give sky houseroom.