QPR-WBA

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5677
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
Location: Johannesburg

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:40 am

Wegerle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:18 am
It's not the players or the crowds job to referee. If the referee didn't see the hand ball, the lines man or the 4th official should have. Just imagine this being the last game of the season and you need 3 points to stay up.
Officials can't see every single detail but punching the ball over the bar by a player should always have consequences even it means play being stopped 5 minutes later to rectify the situation.
100% agree with you that these kind of pivotal moments should result in the right decision being made, but without VAR or a way to challenge and review, what can be done?

I mentioned above that hardly anyone 'saw' the handball in real time; neither the highly biased Loft supporters nor the players.

In this case I can't blame the officiating... only bemoan the lack of VAR.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

qprphilip
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm
Location: Kent

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by qprphilip » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:49 am

Fabulous performance that was, just the extra goal needed, surely one of the officials should have seen that hand ball, having said that, the lino who was two yards away couldn't see that the full back was clinging on to Smythe's shirt.!!!!!! It's probably been mentioned elsewhere but, hopefully an extra two points which we probably would have got doesn't cost us. Play like that most games and we will be safe, oh and you can't miss pens not that way anyway, it was a real bad one. I know he didn't mean to miss it, but it was disappointing.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10182
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by ZENITH R » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:57 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:34 am
Nw6ranger wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:15 pm
Frey penalty, not impressed.
Not sure why he changed a winning team.
I think two players were suspended? Colback for sure.
It was the same squad as Saturday, he just swapped Dykes for Frey and Willock for Smyth. I guess, he was trying to freshen things up.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5715
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Holland

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by Wegerle » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:05 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:21 am
Wegerle wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:18 am
It's not the players or the crowds job to referee. If the referee didn't see the hand ball, the lines man or the 4th official should have. Just imagine this being the last game of the season and you need 3 points to stay up.
Officials can't see every single detail but punching the ball over the bar by a player should always have consequences even it means play being stopped 5 minutes later.
There’s no VAR in the Championship. They can’t change the decision because Sky subsequently point out that they’ve got it wrong.
I think a manager should be able to point this out to the 4th official. With today's technology, an instant replay can be provided. I'm not talking about about minor incidents because this would disrupt the game too much. Pivital moments that can define a game, a career (injuries) or perhaps even a season however should be able to be contested and overruled in my humble opinion.

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5662
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by Montag » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:16 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am
Nw6ranger wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:48 am
No.idea how ref or linesman didn't see that handball. Seriously its screwed.
Really ? Everyone can see it when it’s played back in slow motion on Sky afterwards,but how many honestly saw it in real time ?
I don’t think a single QPR player appealed for it, and there were about four in close proximity.

I know people love to slag off the officials, sometimes with good reason, but we should cut them some slack with this one.
Take your point but it would be nice if the FL could retrospectively punish the player using the SKY footage as evidence.
I'm sure that rule does exist but only if you're playing for QPR.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Chacombe, Nr Banbury

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by bigbobb » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:32 pm

I don't have a problem with the officials missing the handball - I was at the game and none of us saw it but we were confused when my daughter (watching on TV) sent me a message saying we should have had another penalty because of the save by their number 4.

HOWEVER what I find totally unacceptable in game after game and obviously last night was a great example was the referee not stopping the time wasting and only adding on the bare minimum at the end of each half. I actually had high hopes when he booked their goalie after 55 minutes for time wasting as they usually leave that until time added on when nobody cares any more - however they simply had other players take - and delay - the goalkicks!

In the second half there were 9 substitutions which guidelines say means 30 seconds for each so that is 4 and a half minutes. On top of that there was a goal - a minute would not be unreasonable for that? I'm not sure how many times a player went down "injured" - 4 or 5 perhaps? He also warned WBA players for time wasting, including booking the goalie, and also there was quite a long time where he was surrounded by WBA players arguing with him - I thought they were not allowed to do that but he took no action and added no time on.

So where did he get ONLY SIX minutes from?

To cap it off he blew up as the stadium clocks showed 5 minutes 59 seconds despite there having been delays even in that extra 6 minutes!

Time keeping responsibility should be taken away from the referee is the first simple thing to do.

After that you can then look at rule changes to allow for bigger changes such as clocks to be stopped when the ball is not in play.

But well played R's - on to Saturday.
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

SuperHoopsa
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by SuperHoopsa » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:39 pm

If we are all being honest with ourselves 4 points from the previous 2 matches before we played them was not expected by anyone one of us, right..?

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6594
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 am

SuperHoopsa wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:39 pm
If we are all being honest with ourselves 4 points from the previous 2 matches before we played them was not expected by anyone one of us, right..?
I've been thinking along similar lines. I would have hoped for 4 points, not necessarily expected them, (although I was outrageously positive prior to the Leicester game) so I guess we would have hoped for a point at Leicester and a win against West Brom. Outcome the same but order reversed. 8)
Question everything.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4650
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:31 pm

Adrian Chiles very complimentary of the Loftus Road away end as he was in the Upper School
on Wednesday.
Also Colin Murray on 5 Live now extolling the virtues of Loftus Road over Wembley! :D :D :D
Ifang Bondi

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6332
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: QPR-WBA

Post by 222gers » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:31 pm
Adrian Chiles very complimentary of the Loftus Road away end as he was in the Upper School
on Wednesday.
Also Colin Murray on 5 Live now extolling the virtues of Loftus Road over Wembley! :D :D :D
I used to drink in the Andover Arms in Hammersmith and Adrian Chiles was in there a few nights a week.
Rather an irritable bloke if my memory serves me well - it doesn't often….

Post Reply