Just got back ...

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Just got back ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:21 pm

Well, that made a pleasant surprise.

First things first ... Blackburn were awful. We should have been 3 up by halftime.

About 10 minutes in, we had a super flowing move down the right, a fizzing cross, low and hard into the box and Armstrong hit it first time. I thought goal all the way, but it was just the wrong side of the post with the keeper beaten.

On 20 minutes another flowing move and Armstrong goes into the area on the left. He has a defender and the goalkeeper in front of him, and Dykes and Willock square, around about the penalty spot, with a defender in front of them. What does he do? He tries to shoot, hits the man in front of him and the ball is cleared. Neither Dykes or Willock looked impressed.

Then stuff me, if he didn't do it again 3 minutes later in an almost identical situation. WTF?????

As I've mentioned elsewhere, our corner routine is baffling. Get bodies into the box! It will improve our chances of scoring, rather than basically having two guys taking the corner. Grrrrr.

So, half time 0-0, Blackburn had offered little.

Into the second half and just past the hour we score. Chair cut in from the left, and fired one in hard and low. it hit the post and rebounded out, hitting the goalie and going in. At last a bit of luck going in our favour.

Three minutes later, and Hodge who had been on the pitch for 6 minutes gets a decent pass from Armstrong he's one on one and puts into the far corner. You beauty. 0-2.

Shortly before that (I think) Armstrong had a brilliant opportunity. On the half way line, his first touch was excellent to get past the defender, he now has a clear run at goal, with only the keeper to beat, his pace takes him clear, and then he has a heavy touch and the ball runs away to the keeper. Sorry, Sinclair, had you been on it today, you could have had 2 or 3 goals, and it would have been a stroll in the park. A combination of poor decision making and poor technique, meant it was a bit more fraught at the end.

Blackburn scored on 74 minutes. A scruffy scrambled effort, that maybe Begovic should have done better with. So, 16 minutes left plus the additional 10 the ref added on. Blackburn had most of the possession, and pressed without really looking like scoring, apart from one rasper from distance that Begovic pushed over the bar.

I've seen us throw away so many points over the years from similar promising positions in games we should have won, it's fair to say I was nervous right up until that final whistle.

Left the ground with a beaming smile.

The new guys: Hodge looked decent, and took his goal well. Hayden slotted in and was effective in the role he was asked to do. Frey, came on late (77 minutes) so 23 minutes in all. He put himself about but like Dykes before him, wasn't given any goal scoring opportunities. The future looks promising with these three on board.

UR's!

Only 12,888 there. The second smallest crowd of the season - only our game at Rotherham with 10,199 had fewer. A big stadium, a single club town. The natives are not happy.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Just got back ...

Post by 222gers » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:04 pm

Thanks as ever Z.
Yes, a poor crowd, the natives seem to really 'ave the 'ump with them.
Their next game…home to Stoke, whom I imagine are equally unpopular with their fans.
Dunno what the best result would be for us - maybe a draw provided we can beat Norwich ?

Danish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Danish Ranger » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:55 am

Thanks for the update Z aniclap

First win at Ewood since 1999

Seven points out of nine

A glimmer of hope

SuperHoopsa
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by SuperHoopsa » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:54 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:21 pm
Left the ground with a beaming smile.
Thanks for the report Zenith, glad you were able to leave with a smile for once. Lets hope this run continues!

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:51 pm

I think we have what it takes to get out of this. They just need to stay positive and play as a team.

We do need to start taking more of those chances we create though.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:56 pm

thanks for the report. hoping we can drag the likes of Blackburn back into it.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:42 pm

Encouraging to see Frey playing straight away. Armstrong and Dykes have their hearts in the right place but their goal tally is, well, less said the better.
I'm still doubtful about staying up and think a points deduction levied against one or two of the other stragglers might be our salvation.