Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10143
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm

My thoughts ...

Our discipline is awful. Field booked after 5 minutes for pulling someone's shirt in the midfield area. Absolutely pointless! Grow up man, you are not an 8 year old in the school playground, you are a (supposedly) professional footballer. OK, there is 'taking one for the team' to stop an attack, but Field does this again and again with no 'taking one for the team' about them. This shows a really poor attitude, and not thinking about the team. No surprise we are where we are. Marti needs to tear him a new one over this. Ten bookings in 28 games (leading to one suspension so far).

We have scored 22 goals in 27 games. Plus 2 in the FA Cup, but we still lost that cup game. Today was a really good indication of why that is. In the first few minutes - Willock has the ball and cuts into the area, he tries to go for goal, and misses. A simple square ball and Dykes is between the penalty spot and the 18 yard line, totally unmarked. It's almost like they have no concept of teamwork. Maybe the Hakka thing told us more about how disjointed this team is/was than about how silly Ainsworth was to try it. I still think his only error was allowing it to be filmed and released.

They showed at half time on TV a situation where we played it out wide when a simple ball forward would have found Armstrong, unmarked on the edge of the area and with a free run at goal. Perhaps it's not just the team work, but more an awareness of whats around them.

Ilias Chair is undoubtedly our best player. However, its like he thinks he has to do it all himself. He gets into some great positions out wide, but has to beat the defender 3 times before crossing it, by which time the chance has gone. Just look at how more effective we were when Smyth came on. No fannying about to beat the defender multiple times, just get it into the box. If you watch the goals scored by our rivals, you will often see this a player whipping a ball in early, and their team scoring. Since we seem to rely on Chair as our main outlet, this is just flawed.

Numbers in the box. When do we ever see any of Field, Dixon-Bonner, Colback, Dozzell busting a gut to get forward and support the attack? The answer is rarely if ever. So, our strikers are outnumbered by defenders, or if Armstrong (for example) gets free, he has very limited options. So, he shoots and rarely scores due to the tight angle.

This stuff has been going on far too long, it wasn't addressed by Warburton, Beale, Critchley or Ainsworth, and now it doesn't seem to be being addressed by Cifuentes.

What is the result? We score very few goals, the fans are becoming increasingly frustrated and the number of games where we 'should' have scored more goals and picked up points is mounting.

At Vicarage Road we were 4-0 down at half time. We should have gone in at least 2 goals up today.

I think all of the above needs sorting out on the training pitch and in 1 to 1 meetings with the manager. Until such time as it is, we will continue to march towards Division One.

And don't even get me started on set pieces.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6513
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm

Mr Beef wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:51 pm
Smyth had one of his best games today, but he's made 18 starts and 8 sub appearances in 27 league games with 1 assist and 2 goals to show for it. There's no magic missing ingredient in this squad.
A tad harsh and probably a better return than Dykes.
Question everything.

patrickqpr
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by patrickqpr » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:02 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Zenith.

User avatar
Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 8140
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Mr Beef » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:06 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:51 pm
Smyth had one of his best games today, but he's made 18 starts and 8 sub appearances in 27 league games with 1 assist and 2 goals to show for it. There's no magic missing ingredient in this squad.
A tad harsh and probably a better return than Dykes.
Not intending to be harsh, but he's had a lot of time in the team and not had much impact. He did well today, but it's not hard to see why he might not have started.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10143
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:09 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:01 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:51 pm
Smyth had one of his best games today, but he's made 18 starts and 8 sub appearances in 27 league games with 1 assist and 2 goals to show for it. There's no magic missing ingredient in this squad.
A tad harsh and probably a better return than Dykes.
Dykes once again is our leading goal scorer this season. Not saying much, as he has only scored 5. However, as I have said above we don't put the ball in early, or find him when he is in a good position.

I'm reminded of Andy Cole at Manchester United - you know the guy who got dogs abuse when he played at Loftus Road for Burnley, and then scored a hat trick against us. United fans reckoned he needed 3 chances to score 1 goal. The thing was he was presented with lots of chances in a game, and as a result scored lots of goals. 93 in 200 games, winning some significant silverware along the way. I'm not suggesting Dykes is as good as Cole, but I do think if we created more chances for him, he would score more goals.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6232
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:00 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:58 pm
My thoughts ...

Our discipline is awful. Field booked after 5 minutes for pulling someone's shirt in the midfield area. Absolutely pointless! Grow up man, you are not an 8 year old in the school playground, you are a (supposedly) professional footballer. OK, there is 'taking one for the team' to stop an attack, but Field does this again and again with no 'taking one for the team' about them. This shows a really poor attitude, and not thinking about the team. No surprise we are where we are. Marti needs to tear him a new one over this. Ten bookings in 28 games (leading to one suspension so far).

We have scored 22 goals in 27 games. Plus 2 in the FA Cup, but we still lost that cup game. Today was a really good indication of why that is. In the first few minutes - Willock has the ball and cuts into the area, he tries to go for goal, and misses. A simple square ball and Dykes is between the penalty spot and the 18 yard line, totally unmarked. It's almost like they have no concept of teamwork. Maybe the Hakka thing told us more about how disjointed this team is/was than about how silly Ainsworth was to try it. I still think his only error was allowing it to be filmed and released.

They showed at half time on TV a situation where we played it out wide when a simple ball forward would have found Armstrong, unmarked on the edge of the area and with a free run at goal. Perhaps it's not just the team work, but more an awareness of whats around them.

Ilias Chair is undoubtedly our best player. However, its like he thinks he has to do it all himself. He gets into some great positions out wide, but has to beat the defender 3 times before crossing it, by which time the chance has gone. Just look at how more effective we were when Smyth came on. No fannying about to beat the defender multiple times, just get it into the box. If you watch the goals scored by our rivals, you will often see this a player whipping a ball in early, and their team scoring. Since we seem to rely on Chair as our main outlet, this is just flawed.

Numbers in the box. When do we ever see any of Field, Dixon-Bonner, Colback, Dozzell busting a gut to get forward and support the attack? The answer is rarely if ever. So, our strikers are outnumbered by defenders, or if Armstrong (for example) gets free, he has very limited options. So, he shoots and rarely scores due to the tight angle.

This stuff has been going on far too long, it wasn't addressed by Warburton, Beale, Critchley or Ainsworth, and now it doesn't seem to be being addressed by Cifuentes.

What is the result? We score very few goals, the fans are becoming increasingly frustrated and the number of games where we 'should' have scored more goals and picked up points is mounting.

At Vicarage Road we were 4-0 down at half time. We should have gone in at least 2 goals up today.

I think all of the above needs sorting out on the training pitch and in 1 to 1 meetings with the manager. Until such time as it is, we will continue to march towards Division One.

And don't even get me started on set pieces.
Thanks Z. I didn't attend today as I'm not very well and the Rs have a deleterious effect on my health at the moment.
I'd never seen this Haka business before so just watched it on youtube:
How can a professional football club do something like this ? Maybe Taylor Richards might have been spurred by it (perhaps not ), but the look on many of the players' faces !
I never fell for that Wild Thang crap - a manager should look and act like a manager.
I've felt for long while that this club thinks of us as imbeciles, this is an example.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 11263
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:42 pm

I never thought there was anything wrong with the Haka thing per se. Any manager is entitled to try whatever strategies he wants to try and build team spirit. The madness was in sharing it on social media.
Just do it behind closed doors for goodness sake.

Look after yourself 222.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 11263
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 am
Another terrible Cardiff like performance today and we'd only be a couple
of degrees from the Reading scenario yesterday.
Are you going to start a pitch invasion then ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4612
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:52 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:25 pm
Smyth is far and away the best player we have.
You have Ulster goggles on.
Today he was excellent for sure but Chair on his day (today wasn't one of them)
is the best player at the club.
UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 am
Another terrible Cardiff like performance today and we'd only be a couple
of degrees from the Reading scenario yesterday.
Are you going to start a pitch invasion then ?
I won't but others may well do.
Ifang Bondi

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6232
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:27 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:42 pm
I never thought there was anything wrong with the Haka thing per se. Any manager is entitled to try whatever strategies he wants to try and build team spirit. The madness was in sharing it on social media.
Just do it behind closed doors for goodness sake.

Look after yourself 222.
Thanks Ux…..I've not been the same since I lost my job as Sunday Times wine critic.

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Montag » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:36 pm

This was a very winnable game. We should've been 4-0 up before they scored. The longer it went without us scoring the more you just knew the sucker punch was coming. They never looked like scoring and it might be controversial to say but Armstrong cost us this game. I was there and he has no excuse for the appalling lack of finishing technique. 2 one on ones botched? He could make a fantastic player one day. In Rugby Union. I can't take anymore. I'm not coming next week - they can shove it. :evil: aniwall
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6232
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by 222gers » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:36 pm

Montag wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:36 pm
This was a very winnable game. We should've been 4-0 up before they scored. The longer it went without us scoring the more you just knew the sucker punch was coming. They never looked like scoring and it might be controversial to say but Armstrong cost us this game. I was there and he has no excuse for the appalling lack of finishing technique. 2 one on ones botched? He could make a fantastic player one day. In Rugby Union. I can't take anymore. I'm not coming next week - they can shove it. :evil: aniwall
I wouldn't miss next week- I love a chat with the 'Wall fans. Such as, would a Chenin Blanc be an suitable accompaniment to breast of guinea fowl, or would a full blown Chablis be more up to snuff.

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Montag » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:42 am

I know, 222. I usually attend this fixture for very similar reasons. I may reconsider nearer Saturday. Losing doesn't usually bother me that much but it seemed so wasteful today (yesterday). The frustration is so stressful. Hope you're feeling better soon.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 5338
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Giorgio » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:06 pm

..well....looking at the chances we had....we have been also pretty unlucky not to finalize more, especially when their keeper just bounced the ball back in the middle of a crowded box and never our players managed to kick it into the net...or the ball taking deflections...never in our favour. Lady luck does not look our side...

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers vs Watford

Post by Montag » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:49 pm

Luck was certainly not on our side where scoring was concerned for sure, Giorgio. A very one sided game but you just knew what was coming if we didn't score. I thought the ref was very good though and gave us a few breaks. Armstrong reminds me of that old Brian Clough adage "Couldn't trap a bag of sand". He needs to work on his control and shooting.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Post Reply