Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Stoke City v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Rbee » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:47 pm
Like others, I'm not at all convinced by Ainsworth.
Were you convinced by Chris Martin?

Would Neil Critchley have kept us up?

Gaz out thought Vincent Kompany.

Gaz has earned the right to have a crack at next season and maybe beyond as it will take him time to implement the much needed changes to the playing squad and support team. I have no idea, like everyone else, how successful his tenure will be but we shall find out soon enough.

Urrsssss!

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:30 am

Really, like really he out thought Kompany, in 1 game……..get real

Did anyone listen to his use of statistics? And then think what it means

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:58 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:08 pm
deadendjob wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:32 pm
Another game where we mugged off them off. 20% possession.
Honestly I'm grateful we're staying up, but I really do not think Gaz is good enough to take us forward. I hope the lad proves me wrong with a rebuild next season, but I can't see it.
You can argue that if it was not for Ainsworth we would be looking to go forward from division one. Surely he requires a bit of credit and has earned the right to at least have a pre-season and window.
You could argue many things about the situation. Obviously I'm pleased we've managed to stay up, but our last two games we've won by a single goal and been out played in every aspect on the pitch. His tactics are league 1 standard and while he may be a "man manager" or whatever buzz word people like to call him, it has really not been good enough.

We stuck with him because we'd changed managers twice and he's a club legend. He was given time that want afforded to his predecessor - who arguably had us playing better football without "the cavalry."

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:25 am

whittonhoop wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:30 am

Doesn't matter how the job gets done so long as it gets done.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:26 am

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:08 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:33 pm

The last few months ... you are being generous.
Zenith, I could have said the last 5 years, I was being generous,

this campaign has been disgusting!!!
The last 2 wins changes nothing in my mind.
So who do you think is responsible for keeping us in this division. It might have taken a while but Ainsworth has found a system. Who would have bet on us staying up a month ago.
We were 8 points off the bottom three when he took over, with games against Rotherham, Birmingham, Blackpool and Wigan to come. We lost them all and ended up one point off the bottom three, and even then, only Reading's points deduction was keeping us out of it. I'm relieved he's managed to pull two wins out in the end, but from where I'm standing, he's overseen some of the worst performances in twenty years or so. That Blackpool game was an absolute abomination.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:37 am

Rbee wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:25 am
whittonhoop wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:30 am

Doesn't matter how the job gets done so long as it gets done.
Well, it didn't matter yesterday, or last weekend, I agree. Only the results did. It matters in the longer term though, at least to some of us. I don't expect us to be Man City, and I don't want to see us passing the ball around in our own penalty area, but I would like to see a possession-based style of football. It's true that if you're winning enough games, most people won't care about the style of play. However, I just don't see us being successful in the Championship playing GA's brand of football. He could probably get enough points to keep us out of trouble, but when we're 16th again in October / November, and ceding 80% possession to the opposition away from home, I'm pretty sure the natives will get restless again.

For what's it worth, I think they'll find it hard to get rid of him now, as the initial remit was clearly just to keep us up, so it's likely we'll start next season with him at the helm. I'll be there whatever happens, but my heart does sink a bit at the thought of him being allowed to rebuild the squad to play that kind of anti-football.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:10 am

It's the so-called dark arts that worry me - I don't want us to be Preston MKII.
I gather Wycombe employed such tactics on a regular basis.
Still, we are where we are, so let's see what transpires.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:41 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:26 am
QPR_John wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

So who do you think is responsible for keeping us in this division. It might have taken a while but Ainsworth has found a system. Who would have bet on us staying up a month ago.
We were 8 points off the bottom three when he took over, with games against Rotherham, Birmingham, Blackpool and Wigan to come. We lost them all and ended up one point off the bottom three, and even then, only Reading's points deduction was keeping us out of it. I'm relieved he's managed to pull two wins out in the end, but from where I'm standing, he's overseen some of the worst performances in twenty years or so. That Blackpool game was an absolute abomination.
You make a valid point however we were in a downwards spiral at the time and it’s arguable whoever took over would take time to turn it around. The bottom line is we are safe and Ainsworth found a way to get us some points. Maybe the players did not buy into it until reality struck. It might have not been the “QPR way” but needs must let’s wait till next season to see what happens. If all Ainsworth is is a fire fighter then next season will clarify it and I’m sure the board will take the necessary action as they have done so spectacularly well in the past.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm
You're 'aving a giraffe!

I'll concede to you that he's earned the right to be at the helm come the start of next season, but as
Uxbridge pointed out, he's presided over some of the worse performances I've ever seen at Loftus Road.

This is how I see next season panning out:
He'll persist with a kick and rush style so we only have at most 25% of possession.
We'll win a few and loose even more, after 20 games of crushing mediocrity he'll be
obliged to "consider his position".
Ifang Bondi

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:14 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:03 pm
Rbee wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:47 pm
You're 'aving a giraffe!

I'll concede to you that he's earned the right to be at the helm come the start of next season, but as
Uxbridge pointed out, he's presided over some of the worse performances I've ever seen at Loftus Road.

This is how I see next season panning out:
He'll persist with a kick and rush style so we only have at most 25% of possession.
We'll win a few and loose even more, after 20 games of crushing mediocrity he'll be
obliged to "consider his position".
That is a distinct possibility. Let's hope it doesn't happen. The truth is our problem isn't really our coach - it's FFP preventing us from improving the playing staff enough to compete plus the complete and the utter failure of our imaginary youth system.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Nw6ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nw6ranger » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:33 pm

Be nice to see one or two of our youth given a few minutes vs Bristol.

Hanuhoff
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Hanuhoff » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:06 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:26 am
QPR_John wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

Absolutely this. Loved him as a player but this was a populist appointment and if he was seen as a friend of Ferdinand the boo boys would have been on him from the Blackpool game onwards