Just got back ...

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Just got back ...

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:24 pm

I'm old enough to have seen this many times before. Anyone who wasn't there, but who has been following the R's for 20 odd years will also know exactly what happened today.

As I write this, I'm not surprised, I'm not angry, I'm just hugely disappointed.

So, let me start by saying, we were the better team. We played the better football, but we were undone by two things: Schoolboy defending for two set pieces, and an absolute lack of creativity.

Their first goal (3 minutes after we scored) was just awful. They had a corner, it came to a totally unmarked Fleetwood player who had a simple header from 6 yards out. Seny had no chance. I think Dunne was marking him, but as the scorer moved into space, Dunne didn't follow him. It was basic stuff (what do we do in training?)

Their second goal was also from a corner. The ball was delivered into a dangerous area in the penalty area (something we failed to do with any of our corners) and as the ball pinged about, some of our players stopped and appealed (not sure what for, but the ref didn't give anything) this gave the Fleetwood player time and space to score. What did my games teacher at school Mr Stewart say to me 54 years ago? "Play to the whistle!"

Lyndon Dykes has come in for a lot of criticism, but we did not deliver any decent balls into the box for him to attack. Actually, there in lies another major problem we have ... Take any of Adomah, Willock, Chair, Laird, etc etc and they all want to take an extra touch before crossing the ball. Sometimes beating the defender two or three times, turning him back and forth. The problem with this is that it gives the defence time to get organised and get into position. Guys, get the bloody ball in early!

Talking of Dykes, he is not most effective as a lone striker, so why do we keep asking him to be one? Andy Cole is one of the highest scoring forwards in Premier League history, I remember reading a stat that he needed 3 chances to score 1 goal. Dykes is not as good as Cole, so will probable need 5-8 chances to score. We are not creating 3 chances a game for him let alone 5-8. No surprises he isn't scoring.

Lastly, substitutions. It was clear on 50 minutes (actually at half time) it wasn't working, we were creating nothing. Yet the first 2 changes were on 70 minutes, and then 3 on 81 minutes. Way too late Neil! Dozzell has been unwell, so almost certainly not 100%, why wait until 81 minutes to take him off? In fact, with 5 subs available, shaking it up at half time with 2 or 3 changes would have made perfect sense.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rod
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Just got back ...

Post by Rod » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:27 pm

Hats off for going zenith-result was sadly inevitable

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:34 pm

Thanks Z. Well done for making it there and back in these impossibly difficult times.
I don't think this team deserves fans like you.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:02 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:24 pm
I'm old enough to have seen this many times before. Anyone who wasn't there, but who has been following the R's for 20 odd years will also know exactly what happened today.
...that's why I did not even give a thought into going... :roll: :lol:
I read somewhere that QPR are holding the nice record for getting kicked off the 3rd round 51 times !!!!
.....be proud of that... :lol: :lol:

luke_mullet
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by luke_mullet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:45 pm

That's why I never criticise Dykes. He doesn't get the service . We're just not very good in the final third.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:06 am

Thank you for an excellent report again. Well done for making the trip. QPR and the FA cup just don't seem to gel.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare