Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield United

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Queens Park Rangers FC v Sheffield United

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:27 pm

Went into this match with no expectations.....

Would have ripped your hand off being offered a point before the match....

Why didn't we use our final sub or two in injury time?

Utd deserved a draw due to us defending too deep for how long?

I swear the ref was going to blow for full time at least two plays before they scored, also will we get another sorry letter from the referees secretary because the ref didn't send off the goalie for that deliberate hand ball outside the box?

Also now stops the delusion of the playoffs by some of our fans....

Finally utter clowns singing "we're winning on sky" near the end...... Tempted fate...

Looking forward to the FA Cup next weekend
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:43 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:05 pm
Laird is injured

I think we all expect a comprehensive defeat tonight but let's see what occurs. #gulp
What's the odds he's starting in the Utd team FA Cup game next week.....

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:44 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:27 pm
This wonderful point and performance against the League Leaders changes nothing. With our squad and the way we set up that is as good as it’s going to get from us in my opinion. We are very much a mid table team with not enough goals or clean sheets. We still need to overhaul the squad and go again. Hopefully someone will buy Dykes after that.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:46 pm

Rbee wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Systemsguy wrote:
This wonderful point and performance against the League Leaders changes nothing. With our squad and the way we set up that is as good as it’s going to get from us in my opinion. We are very much a mid table team with not enough goals or clean sheets. We still need to overhaul the squad and go again. Hopefully someone will buy Dykes after that.
League leaders?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:47 pm

Rbee wrote:
Systemsguy wrote:
What genuinely worries me is we rode our luck against Preston but didn't learn that lesson tonight....

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Rbee wrote:
Systemsguy wrote:
I haven't been a supporter of Dykes since he arrived, but I have to say that he played his best game ever for us tonight.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 pm

Dykes was superb tonight but over the course of the whole season you need your centre forward to be scoring goals.

It’s our squad and set up, Dykes might be much better playing with a partner but there isn’t another striker at the club able to play that role and we would need a better, tougher, midfield to support two up top.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:34 pm

IJM wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:53 pm
I haven't been a supporter of Dykes since he arrived, but I have to say that he played his best game ever for us tonight.
I agree with Rbee, he was hired as a striker and it's goals that he should be scoring, he's failed in that area
and although his and the teams performance were excellent tonight the need for a competent striker is still there.
Ifang Bondi

SuperHoopsa

Post by SuperHoopsa » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:22 am

A much better performance today. Dykes much improved, there was one point he just charged in to defense from nowhere and won the ball. Had me thinking, he might not be able to score but at least we have options at centre back! It was nice having Chair and Willock in the same team again.

It certainly felt like a defeat after leading for so long and getting so close, as always, we started to 'defend the lead' way to early and it ultimately cost us. However, not many teams will be able to say the didn't lose home or away to Sheff Utd this season.Another point towards the magical 50. aniclap

Keith
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:19 am

Systemsguy wrote:

I swear the ref was going to blow for full time at least two plays before they scored,
A number of fans around me, and on message boards felt the ref played way too much time. He didn't. When the board went up to show an additional (min) 5 minutes, there was still a player down getting treatment. When the resulting free kick was eventually taken to restart the game I set the stopwatch on my phone. They scored on about 4 and a half minutes.