Striker needed

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Striker needed

Post by Giorgio » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:27 pm

...looking at our last 9 matches it is easy to see that we really lack a decent striker and need to fill the gap on the coming January transfer window. ...Till Willock and Chair could make the job themselves and score some that was kept hidden, but now it is too evident...

The stats of our last 9 matches are: W 1 D 2 L 6 GF 2 GA 13... 2 goals scored in 9 matches...!!! :shock: :roll:

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Striker needed

Post by Wegerle » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:00 pm

The biggest challenge is going to be finding a decent striker who wants to come to one of the smaller clubs in the Championship with, being honest, mid-table football as a perspective for the coming years.
Apart for average, lower league strikers who are not on the bigger clubs radar, we are not a very attractive option.
That's the problem we have been struggling with for decades now.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 am

Wegerle wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:00 pm
The biggest challenge is going to be finding a decent striker who wants to come to one of the smaller clubs in the Championship with, being honest, mid-table football as a perspective for the coming years.
Apart for average, lower league strikers who are not on the bigger clubs radar, we are not a very attractive option.
That's the problem we have been struggling with for decades now.
...may be we could lure him letting him listen to the MB's speech about loyalty and commitment :lol: :lol: :lol:

ANDREW1302
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:20 pm

Luton seem to have found a few!!!

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:09 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:20 pm
Luton seem to have found a few!!!
Our scouting and recruitment are a real concern especially when it comes to strikers.

I watch Lyndon and he doesn’t seem to have the natural talent a striker needs. Can’t knock his effort and commitment but the channel runs, getting across the defender etc are nowhere to be seen. With Austin that talent was very much there.

Frankly I don’t care who we sell to get some cash in but I do worry about how it will be spent.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:41 pm

From what i saw against Luton on TV, not one player got near to Dykes for any knock downs or in the box to attack any crosses. Its all very well having creative players in the team but none of them are natural goal scorers. Looking at our squad the only centre forwards we have are Dykes, Roberts and Bonne. That explains why we have scored 2 in 9. Letting go Andre Gray or Austin may have been a mistake.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:45 pm

Bonne has had his contract terminated by mutual consent, so I guess we can expect to see at least one striker incoming before the transfer window closes.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:17 pm

What a waste of time that was.

Something strange going on here, I am sure a League One club would have given us a few hundred grand.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:48 pm

Rbee wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:17 pm

Something strange going on here, I am sure a League One club would have given us a few hundred grand.
When Bonne came to the club he said “ how much will I be paid boss ? “
Don't worry, we'll pay you what you're worth they said.
“ I want more than that “ he said….

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:28 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:48 pm
Rbee wrote:

When Bonne came to the club he said “ how much will I be paid boss ? “
Don't worry, we'll pay you what you're worth they said.
“ I want more than that “ he said….
And got it, I suppose.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Nw6ranger
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Nw6ranger » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:45 am

I think Charlie is the only decent striker we have had since Sir les. I really can't remember anyone else.

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:06 pm

Nw6ranger wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:45 am
I think Charlie is the only decent striker we have had since Sir les. I really can't remember anyone else.
Bradley Allen, Kevin Gallen, John Spencer were all useful. Helgusson, Mackie, Furlong, Thomson, Remy and Cisse (when he wasnt getting sent off) too although none as good as Sir Les in his day.

But its sad that many top strikers come to QPR and their form plummets- Hately, Washington and Sheron come to mind.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:57 pm

Hately was over the hill. Always seemed like Wilkins doing his mate a favor, one it’s rumored that needed to be done with some haste.

The problem is we can’t afford to buy proven strikers so we’ll always be gambling. Bonne and Washington are the sort of players the fans are always clamoring for us to give a chance.
Rbee wrote:

Presumably not otherwise I’m sure we’d have done just that.
beaglebum wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:41 pm
From what i saw against Luton on TV, not one player got near to Dykes for any knock downs or in the box to attack any crosses. Its all very well having creative players in the team but none of them are natural goal scorers. Looking at our squad the only centre forwards we have are Dykes, Roberts and Bonne. That explains why we have scored 2 in 9. Letting go Andre Gray or Austin may have been a mistake.
Austin looked pretty knackered, I think that was the right call. I wonder what it would have cost to keep Grey, it was interesting how MW didn’t favor starting him.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:39 pm

Satch wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:57 pm
Austin looked pretty knackered, I think that was the right call. I wonder what it would have cost to keep Grey, it was interesting how MW didn’t favor starting him.
...yeah...he could not run....so he could have been still dangerous but you did not have to ask him to run for the ball... :D

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:08 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:39 pm
Satch wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:57 pm
...yeah...he could not run....so he could have been still dangerous but you did not have to ask him to run for the ball... :D
It’s quite a limiting factor! We’re not exactly putting chances on a plate for Dykes either. You can’t really carry a player like Austin, especially when it’s going to be the expense at someone with potential.