A night with Stainrod.

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Nw6ranger

A night with Stainrod.

Post by Nw6ranger » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:06 pm

Is anyone planning to go to the Bush Hall on Sunday to see him ?. I really want to go but I'm working. I will try and wiggle out of it.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Re: A night with Stainrod.

Post by redinjun » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:06 am

I will now, what a legend, him and big Bob were a very important part of my childhood.

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:22 am

redinjun wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:06 am
I will now, what a legend, him and big Bob were a very important part of my childhood.
Sorry - where did I come into this? :wink:

My Bob Hazell story, for I assume that is to whom you refer, is that I played for a (poor) Company team and Bob H watched one of our games.

Sadly he wasn't assessing us for talent but watching his mates who had formed a team and were working their way up the leagues - I seem to remember the final sore was something like 19-0 :oops:
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

StevenageRanger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by StevenageRanger » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:16 am

bigbobb wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:22 am
redinjun wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:06 am
Sorry - where did I come into this? :wink:

My Bob Hazell story, for I assume that is to whom you refer, is that I played for a (poor) Company team and Bob H watched one of our games.

Sadly he wasn't assessing us for talent but watching his mates who had formed a team and were working their way up the leagues - I seem to remember the final sore was something like 19-0 :oops:
I know I am taking the thread down a different route but linked to the Bob Hazell story, I once played in a local game where Chris Day was in goal for the opposition. Ended up taking a penalty against him at the end (and missed!)

It was his pub team we played against that he took over after his R's days were done (he was the owner)

PS - Not going to Stainrod

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:47 pm

Simon was very good for us. Should've had a Cup winners medal really. I seem to remember that he left us very quickly after getting sent off for retaliation against Russel Osman after being kicked right in front of me during a LCQF match against Ipswich (Away to Bracknell tonight :D ). We lost 2-1 and I couldn't help thinking that JG was annoyed about that and shipped him out as punishment. Perhaps someone could ask him? He seems a jovial sort of chap. I remember another match in September '82 at Craven Cottage when he suddenly beat their offside trap and was clean through: I could see his face clearly and he was smiling just before he fired the ball in. Cool as a cucumber! Love it! :D
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare