Wasps RFC in Administration...

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Wasps RFC in Administration...

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:00 pm

Our old playmates from Loftus Road PLC are going into administration and are facing relegation....

It's been a long road from playing Rugby in Sudbury to ruin at the Ricoh in Coventry....
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Re: Wasps RFC in Administration...

Post by redinjun » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 pm

I wonder if moving to Coventry was biting off more than they could chew.

They are my team of choice from b4 the QPR connection, I’ve seen some awesome games - Rob Howley’s last minute try to win the European Cup springs to mind. I hope they are ok.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:42 pm

I went to see Wasps several times when they played at Loftus Road and enjoyed it very much especially as the tickets were free! I saw Rob Andrew play his last game in professional Rugby for Newcastle at Lotus Road, he sliced his last kick in professional Rugby wide of the posts from a few yards out :lol:

When Chris Wright left Rangers the biggest surprise was then CEO Dave Davies leaving with him to work exclusively for Wasps. They have been in slow decline since leaving HQ and the move away from London was always going to be very difficult. Chris Wright left them in 2008 according to Wiki. He did us no favours and certainly not Wasps.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Rbee wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:42 pm
I went to see Wasps several times when they played at Loftus Road and enjoyed it very much especially as the tickets were free! I saw Rob Andrew play his last game in professional Rugby for Newcastle at Lotus Road, he sliced his last kick in professional Rugby wide of the posts from a few yards out :lol:

When Chris Wright left Rangers the biggest surprise was then CEO Dave Davies leaving with him to work exclusively for Wasps. They have been in slow decline since leaving HQ and the move away from London was always going to be very difficult. Chris Wright left them in 2008 according to Wiki. He did us no favours and certainly not Wasps.
The professional side had a few good years while in Wycombe but couldn't get a ground of their own in the local area and started to slide from 2008 onwards.....

The move of a London based team to the ricoh in Coventry in 2014 did seem quite bizarre at the time, looked like they had some sort of sugar daddy as they bought the place when moving....

Also Coventry had their own rugby team which was cutting into their new supposed fanbase ....

However the amateur side Wasps FC is still going strong in Acton...

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:12 pm

Maybe this is unfair but despite them being a good team I perceived them as leaching of qpr under the holding company, was that the case? It also sounds like they have utterly shafted Coventry city regarding the pitch. I also can’t rugby so there may be a more nuanced view of these points.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 am

A few years ago I was at a work conference at the Ricoh. Part of the deal was we got a stadium tour. Bearing in mind the stadium was built with the view it would be Coventry City's home ground ... everything had a Wasps logo - from the tiling in the changing rooms to the seats in the stands. There was even a Wasps logo laid into the floor as you entered the tunnel. In a corner behind a door there was a Coventry City mat, which they put over the Wasp logo on match days. It was all very sad.

The stadium owners got it all very wrong, and then they sold the stadium to Wasps. I think it needed a dedicated local man with vision at the helm, not an accountant looking for the best financial deal.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Satch wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:12 pm
Maybe this is unfair but despite them being a good team I perceived them as leaching of qpr under the holding company, was that the case? It also sounds like they have utterly shafted Coventry city regarding the pitch. I also can’t rugby so there may be a more nuanced view of these points.
I think its unfair to blame Wasps for the financial mess QPR were in the late 90s early 00s, however I think you can squarely blame the naivety of Chris Wright and the business acumen of former CEO Clive Berlin....

Wasps apparently had tightly managed budgets where if memory serves me right QPR then had a policy of trying to develop the youth team to the extent of giving promising youngsters up to a grand a week contracts..... it was madness, we had 66 full time professionals at the club at one point

This led to Wright paying a cheque for QPR wages of about £540K a month from one of his business accounts.... He pulled that financial plug and we went into adminstration....

The rest is history as far as QPR goes....