Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: All EFL and Premier League games off

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:30 am

deadendjob wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:57 pm
For everyone walking around restless because the footy is off, check the final 15 minutes of our amazing come back against Liverpool.
I had almost forgotten this one as I have tried to erase the whole Mark Hughes era but scoring 3 goals in 15 minutes against Liverpool is as good as it gets!
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2474442419485521
At the time, I turned this game off in anger. My cousin text me after the game saying "Crazy result that" - to which I responded "What, we lost? Have you seen us?" she replied "Uh... you won."
Haven't skived off a game early since.
You weren't the only one who turned the TV. off... Lineker and co covering the match for the BBC at 2 - 0 down admitted after the second goal for Liverpool that they didn't bother watching the match on the monitors switching to other games

My personal recollection was feeling sorry for my 8yo son at 2 down as he hadn't seen us win a game that season in all the matches he'd attended....

When Mackie scored that winner, he walked out that stadium 10 feet tall and was looking forward to school next day to see all his Liverpool supporting mates
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:05 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:30 am
deadendjob wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:57 pm
For everyone walking around restless because the footy is off, check the final 15 minutes of our amazing come back against Liverpool.
I had almost forgotten this one as I have tried to erase the whole Mark Hughes era but scoring 3 goals in 15 minutes against Liverpool is as good as it gets!
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2474442419485521
At the time, I turned this game off in anger. My cousin text me after the game saying "Crazy result that" - to which I responded "What, we lost? Have you seen us?" she replied "Uh... you won."
Haven't skived off a game early since.
You weren't the only one who turned the TV. off... Lineker and co covering the match for the BBC at 2 - 0 down admitted after the second goal for Liverpool that they didn't bother watching the match on the monitors switching to other games

My personal recollection was feeling sorry for my 8yo son at 2 down as he hadn't seen us win a game that season in all the matches he'd attended....

When Mackie scored that winner, he walked out that stadium 10 feet tall and was looking forward to school next day to see all his Liverpool supporting mates
I remember thinking at 0-0 how the f### are Liverpool not 10 - 0 up, it was a hideous miscarriage of justice, I hear Donald Trump was fuming.

NB now I’ve been alerted, I’ll be mentioning him in all my posts 😇

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bwhoops » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:09 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:42 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 am
Well, the folks at the Oval have just got to pay their collective respects. aniclap
Having seen that and the respect the whole ground showed it really makes the FAs decision all the more rediculous

I think it was ridiculous to cancel all grass-roots football, however, there is a huge difference in policing requirements when it comes to professional football versus other professional sports. The police will no doubt become under pressure dealing with the funeral, visiting dignitaries, crowds etc in the future but at least they have some time to now prepare for them. Overall, I think the PL & EFL took the correct decision for the postponements over the weekend to allow the available police to be used elsewhere at short notice.

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bwhoops » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:13 pm

... and as midweek games can be postponed it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Wednesday's game between Millwall v QPR postponed.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:55 pm

if the rumour is true that next weekends top flight games are cancelled as well, I can't see them playing any games until the funeral is over and this includes grassroots...

The League I officiate on has locked down it's message board to admins only as someone put a joke up that some would have found offensive...

We used it to pass information on, the last message at short notice on Saturday was all games were postponed.... One unconnected message since and nish has been said

How can you plan anything while the FA dithers without confirming the way forward, is it already decided no football but they daren't admit it for fear of clubs and leagues being in absolute revolt?
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:07 pm

bwhoops wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:09 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:42 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 am
Well, the folks at the Oval have just got to pay their collective respects. aniclap
Having seen that and the respect the whole ground showed it really makes the FAs decision all the more rediculous

I think it was ridiculous to cancel all grass-roots football, however, there is a huge difference in policing requirements when it comes to professional football versus other professional sports. The police will no doubt become under pressure dealing with the funeral, visiting dignitaries, crowds etc in the future but at least they have some time to now prepare for them. Overall, I think the PL & EFL took the correct decision for the postponements over the weekend to allow the available police to be used elsewhere at short notice.
I can understand this in relation to next weekend, with the funeral being on the Monday. I really can't see how it was an issue this weekend.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 pm

Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:15 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:49 am

Exactly. I could understand next weekend's games being cancelled as the funeral gets closer and there may be pressures on policing, but calling off tomorrow's games makes no sense to me.
Agree with you, not least since she only cared about horse-racing anyway.
But yet when my uncle spent all his benefits on the geegees people thought he was a freeloader.

The whole thing is a nonsense there is no tragedy in a very old woman dying relatively swiftly and painlessly. She meant nothing to me I care as much as I do about any other old person I’ve never met. As for her ‘service’ I never asked for it and I don’t agree it should exist but it’s absolutely no hardship for the privilege it affords. I feel like there is no justification for this impacting me at all.

If people want to stand out side her silly big house they paid for and wave little flags that’s their choice but the idea of this enforced mourning is absurd.
I'm 100% with you Satch.
The esteemed writer AN Wilson set the case out eloquently
this afternoon on the Beeb and he isn't a disgruntled "colonial" by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bymn

go to 2:54:40
Ifang Bondi

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:47 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:26 pm
Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:15 pm

Agree with you, not least since she only cared about horse-racing anyway.
But yet when my uncle spent all his benefits on the geegees people thought he was a freeloader.

The whole thing is a nonsense there is no tragedy in a very old woman dying relatively swiftly and painlessly. She meant nothing to me I care as much as I do about any other old person I’ve never met. As for her ‘service’ I never asked for it and I don’t agree it should exist but it’s absolutely no hardship for the privilege it affords. I feel like there is no justification for this impacting me at all.

If people want to stand out side her silly big house they paid for and wave little flags that’s their choice but the idea of this enforced mourning is absurd.
I'm 100% with you Satch.
The esteemed writer AN Wilson set the case out eloquently
this afternoon on the Beeb and he isn't a disgruntled "colonial" by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001bymn

go to 2:54:40
Good listen. I have to say I don’t disagree with the feelings of the aforementioned disgruntled.