All EFL and Premier League games off

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: All EFL and Premier League games off

Post by SM » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:10 pm

I was really surprised to see tomorrow called off.

It appears that next weekends games won’t be played either due to the funeral - so that’s another 2 weekends lost in what was already a crammed scheduled with the World Cup approaching.

That’s before you even consider the travel issues that many are dealing with…
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:56 am

Mr Beef wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm
Two minutes of silence at every football ground in the country would have been a far better way to show respect than this. As it is most other sports will go ahead, while football supporters will have wasted travel money and clubs money on catering, programmes etc. It's the usual virtue signalling from two pretty tone deaf organisations.
Totally agree! Coming together for two minutes silence and then belting out the National Anthem would have been a carthatic experience for all those inside each and every football ground.

Not only is it virtue signalling, it's symptomatic of a post-COVID World in which 'the little people' have their lives curtailed by those in 'authority'.
Question everything.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:10 am

It feels like they’ve miscalculated public opinion, and by that I mean - mine.

Reminds me of Trump seeing 20k people at a rally and thinking the whole country loved him. Loads of people turned out for the Jubilee but the vast majority didn’t.

Windsor Davis comes to mind “Oh dear, what a shame, never mind, I’ll apply that to my own frustration over the next year as the country drowns in royal nostalgia.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 am

redinjun wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:10 am

Reminds me of Trump seeing 20k people at a rally and thinking the whole country loved him. Loads of people turned out for the Jubilee but the vast majority didn’t.

Windsor Davis comes to mind “Oh dear, what a shame, never mind, I’ll apply that to my own frustration over the next year as the country drowns in royal nostalgia.
To be precise the quote was :"Oh dear, how sad, never mind." Actually, a lot of people don't think this is a trivial matter. It's the end of an era and I support the FA and EFL in their decision to cancel games. It's inconvenient but for most of us this is the first time a monarch has died in our lifetimes. It should be marked properly. Please don't bring the Trump thing up - it caused a lot of trouble on her before.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 am

Well, the folks at the Oval have just got to pay their collective respects. aniclap
Question everything.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:23 am

Montag wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 am
redinjun wrote:

To be precise the quote was :"Oh dear, how sad, never mind." Actually, a lot of people don't think this is a trivial matter. It's the end of an era and I support the FA and EFL in their decision to cancel games. It's inconvenient but for most of us this is the first time a monarch has died in our lifetimes. It should be marked properly. Please don't bring the Trump thing up - it caused a lot of trouble on her before.
I completely respect the view of those who want to mark it in their own way. If that means they want to go into London to pay their respects or to do so in some other way then they should be completely entitled to do so.

I would understand the cancelling of games on the day of the funeral itself, but today, when there are thousands at The Oval watching sport, those of us who rather go to a football game should be allowed to do so, rather than having this imposed upon us.

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:42 am

Interesting to read these views as here in Holland most people are applauding the English that football has been called off this weekend stating that the Dutch should learn from the English when it comes to showing respect to the throne!😁

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:42 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 am
Well, the folks at the Oval have just got to pay their collective respects. aniclap
Having seen that and the respect the whole ground showed it really makes the FAs decision all the more rediculous
Last edited by QPR_John on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:11 pm

redinjun wrote:
This made me laugh out loud. As for the rest of your post, I feel much the same
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:20 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:15 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:49 am
Systemsguy wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:37 am

cricket and other sports have decided to continue.... absolutely no reason to cancel as it's been left to the sports bosses to decide....

on the plus side it means we have more time for players to recover from injury
Exactly. I could understand next weekend's games being cancelled as the funeral gets closer and there may be pressures on policing, but calling off tomorrow's games makes no sense to me.
Agree with you, not least since she only cared about horse-racing anyway.
But yet when my uncle spent all his benefits on the geegees people thought he was a freeloader.

The whole thing is a nonsense there is no tragedy in a very old woman dying relatively swiftly and painlessly. She meant nothing to me I care as much as I do about any other old person I’ve never met. As for her ‘service’ I never asked for it and I don’t agree it should exist but it’s absolutely no hardship for the privilege it affords. I feel like there is no justification for this impacting me at all.

If people want to stand out side her silly big house they paid for and wave little flags that’s their choice but the idea of this enforced mourning is absurd.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:55 pm

Satch wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:20 pm
Andy_N19 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:15 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:49 am

Exactly. I could understand next weekend's games being cancelled as the funeral gets closer and there may be pressures on policing, but calling off tomorrow's games makes no sense to me.
Agree with you, not least since she only cared about horse-racing anyway.
But yet when my uncle spent all his benefits on the geegees people thought he was a freeloader.

The whole thing is a nonsense there is no tragedy in a very old woman dying relatively swiftly and painlessly. She meant nothing to me I care as much as I do about any other old person I’ve never met. As for her ‘service’ I never asked for it and I don’t agree it should exist but it’s absolutely no hardship for the privilege it affords. I feel like there is no justification for this impacting me at all.

If people want to stand out side her silly big house they paid for and wave little flags that’s their choice but the idea of this enforced mourning is absurd.
Interesting choice of phrases

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:57 pm

For everyone walking around restless because the footy is off, check the final 15 minutes of our amazing come back against Liverpool.
I had almost forgotten this one as I have tried to erase the whole Mark Hughes era but scoring 3 goals in 15 minutes against Liverpool is as good as it gets!
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2474442419485521

pindarus

Post by pindarus » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:02 pm

There is an element of "96 year old woman dies. World in shock" about it but I suppose it's a one off.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:57 pm
For everyone walking around restless because the footy is off, check the final 15 minutes of our amazing come back against Liverpool.
I had almost forgotten this one as I have tried to erase the whole Mark Hughes era but scoring 3 goals in 15 minutes against Liverpool is as good as it gets!
https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2474442419485521
At the time, I turned this game off in anger. My cousin text me after the game saying "Crazy result that" - to which I responded "What, we lost? Have you seen us?" she replied "Uh... you won."
Haven't skived off a game early since.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 am

Well it's Sunday morning and I'm lying in bed instead of being up and about preparing and travelling for a morning of abuse and ridicule from grassroots footballers.....

I thought I could understand the PL and EFL postponements until I realised both rugby and cricket (all levels) continued on Saturday with some moment to reflect on her majesty's passing....

The FA's decision to also postpone all grassroots games has caused a real uproar at my level this alongside their tacit approval of a mid season world cup to line a few pockets of FIFA officials had put the game at its lowest point
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....