History repeating itself...?!

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

History repeating itself...?!

Post by Wegerle » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:27 am

This weekend I found an old newspaer pressed between some football magazines in a box. Date: October 4 1992
The front page reads: "Open warfare splits Tories". I think John Major was in a spot of bother. Talk about history repeating itself!

Straight to the back pages and QPR had come back from 1-0 down at half time to beat Spurs 4-1.
The top 5 in the Premier League after 11 matches were 1) Blackburn 2) Norwich 3) Coventry 4) QPR 5) Aston Villa. I guess a top 5 like that is history unlikely to ever be repeated!😊

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: History repeating itself...?!

Post by Wegerle » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:56 am

By the way Roy Wegerle scored twice that weekend...for Blackburn Rovers!

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:57 pm

That Spurs game was my very first game watching the R’s!

Gary Penrice with a brace if I can recall it properly. I would only have been 9 years old or so. Will never forget the first time I stepped foot into Loftus Road with my old man. The roar of the crowd when we turned it around was just mesmerising and Like many I suppose, I’ve been hooked ever since.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

Wegerle
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Wegerle » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:23 pm

Markybabar wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:57 pm
That Spurs game was my very first game watching the R’s!

Gary Penrice with a brace if I can recall it properly. I would only have been 9 years old or so. Will never forget the first time I stepped foot into Loftus Road with my old man. The roar of the crowd when we turned it around was just mesmerising and Like many I suppose, I’ve been hooked ever since.
Great story! I think that that very first time feeling is something very special! And yes, a Penrice brace and Sinton left the field 3 times after being kicked ovet and over.
I watched that game from the Loft with a Dutch exchange student. He was a PSV Eindhoven supporter but was impressed that day!

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:43 pm

John Major. Now there was a geezer not born to be PM. :( Still they wheel him out to give us the benefit of his wisdom. Him and Demon Eyes Blair. :roll: Might as well have some senile old bloke as POTUS.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:54 am

This leadership battle is shaping up to be a colossal clusterfuck... what a bunch of charisma-bypassed, statemanship-bereft,, lightweight non-credible options .. one of which will "lead" the UK. I had to write that down as I'm still in denial.

Well "Lead" until the next general election.. then we get Sir Keef. Good God.

Any chance we can get Ben Wallace to reconsider, Nicola Sturgeon to be less seperatist, Jacinda Ardern to be less kiwi, Pete Buttigieg to discover some British heritage or some home grown, grown-up talent to burst onto the scene?
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:41 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:54 am
This leadership battle is shaping up to be a colossal clusterfuck... what a bunch of charisma-bypassed, statemanship-bereft,, lightweight non-credible options .. one of which will "lead" the UK. I had to write that down as I'm still in denial.

Well "Lead" until the next general election.. then we get Sir Keef. Good God.

Any chance we can get Ben Wallace to reconsider, Nicola Sturgeon to be less seperatist, Jacinda Ardern to be less kiwi, Pete Buttigieg to discover some British heritage or some home grown, grown-up talent to burst onto the scene?
Good shouts on Sturgeon - in a different epoch she'd be a Labour front bencher and not harping on about nationalism.
Jacinda Ardern is light years more progressive than anybody in the UK, I'd throw Angela Merkel into the mix;
seen as 'boring' she was able and competent which is all we want (I'm no Tory either!), not some pound shop demagogue.
Ifang Bondi

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:23 pm

What about Tugonthat. Touch of the Paul Dickov about it don't you think? The political class are a sorry crowd in the UK if not the whole of the West.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:37 am

Jacinda Ardern, you've got to be kidding after what she's put NZ through over the last couple of years. Lightweight, talks a lot but never really says anything and a Klaus' WEF protégé / puppet to boot.

In any case governments around the World, of all hues, no longer serve the people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPdsRf0f1V4
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:17 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:37 am
Jacinda Ardern, you've got to be kidding after what she's put NZ through over the last couple of years. Lightweight, talks a lot but never really says anything and a Klaus' WEF protégé / puppet to boot.

In any case governments around the World, of all hues, no longer serve the people...

Normally I agree with your outlook and posts but here we differ.

Arden is a literate, deep thinking moderate with enough about her to lead a nation. There's nothing fundamentally wrong in alignment with Schwarbs philosophy. Like most things, it's an ingredient in creating the perfect omlette.

Covid caused much distress, suffering and death.

Government responses varied and those who initiated a hard lock down are, with hindsight, deemed to have overplayed their hand Reality is we didn't know how Covid, didn't know if mutations were going to be more viral or lethal, didn't know how the best countermeasures and had no vaccine or effective treatment. We could have been Brasil.

On to the video link...puppet governments, being handed a script.. really? The bearded one had a few quite important observations and was able to spout some indisputable correlation, but causation???

Build back better mantra has existed for generations, so it's hardly surprising that world leaders start to sound homogenous and derivative. Nothing new here.... truly innovative thinking in mainstream life is dead. Everything's just⁰ a tired retread wheeled out in the hope to appear refreshingly different to a new generation.

To look for conspiracies where none exists is lacking even basic critical thinking. All that's standing there in front of us are feeble minded politicians, soaked in plaguristic puke, asking us to love them. Don't you think Hugh would make a good Boris-lite?

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:07 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:17 am
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:37 am

Normally I agree with your outlook and posts but here we differ.

Arden is a literate, deep thinking moderate with enough about her to lead a nation. There's nothing fundamentally wrong in alignment with Schwarbs philosophy. Like most things, it's an ingredient in creating the perfect omlette.

Covid caused much distress, suffering and death.

Government responses varied and those who initiated a hard lock down are, with hindsight, deemed to have overplayed their hand Reality is we didn't know how Covid, didn't know if mutations were going to be more viral or lethal, didn't know how the best countermeasures and had no vaccine or effective treatment. We could have been Brasil.

On to the video link...puppet governments, being handed a script.. really? The bearded one had a few quite important observations and was able to spout some indisputable correlation, but causation???

Build back better mantra has existed for generations, so it's hardly surprising that world leaders start to sound homogenous and derivative. Nothing new here.... truly innovative thinking in mainstream life is dead. Everything's just⁰ a tired retread wheeled out in the hope to appear refreshingly different to a new generation.

To look for conspiracies where none exists is lacking even basic critical thinking. All that's standing there in front of us are feeble minded politicians, soaked in plaguristic puke, asking us to love them. Don't you think Hugh would make a good Boris-lite?
Your perogative to differ and the World would be a much better place if we all sought to listen and understand the perspective of those with whom we might not necessarily agree. IMHO governments have for some time been the handmaidens of corporations and unelected global 'elites' and I place Ardern firmly in that bracket. I do worry that your comment regarding Schwab is just the sort of thinking that's going to lead to a world of pain for the vast majority of the population. As the late, great George Carlin was fond of saying "It's a big club and you ain't in it".
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:10 pm

Good God it's Truss or Sunak: or should I say a labour government within 2 years .

Horrific outcome.. Dear God don't let it be maggie-lite

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 pm

The situation the UK finds itself in regarding energy is a direct result of a failure of policy by successive governments particularly Thatcher's and Major's privatisation fiasco. Energy experts warned this would happen more than 40 years ago. Now it has happened, I pity the government that has to sort it out. Because they can't.