Stirling to Chelshit

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Stirling to Chelshit

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:20 am

I'm not sure I consider Sterling to be properly 'one of our own. Is 7 years (from the age of 10) in our youth set-up sufficient to warrant 'one of our own' status? ethink
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:55 am

Montag wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. That's what this board is for. Liverpool got most of the money QPR should've got. He crapped on Rangers but you love him. I don't. He's not alone. Let that be an end to it.
It can be an "end to it" if referring to your contribution to this thread,; that's clearly your prerogative.

Likely fans either like, love, loathe or are indifferent towards him.

I like him as a footballer, have no opinion about him as a person, but will say something if he's being unjustly slighted.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

ActonArthur
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by ActonArthur » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:03 am

The unsubstantiated story I heard was that we were about to take the small fee Liverpool we’re offering and that Steve Gallen suggested there should be a sell on clause. If that is the case, we should be grateful that happened as the board at the time would have cost us that vital cash injection. A friend of mine asked me at the end of the season when we were watching the final day what I thought Sterling insinuating that he was over rated. My response was that if Pep rated him then that says it all. I am surprised he is being released and would love to know why as I see a very good player still but what do I know.
One thing I have always felt with him is that given he has come from a very tough upbringing, when the big money came his way, that would be the beginning of the end for many young players but he continued to maintain high standards and that says something about his discipline to continue to work hard.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:39 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:18 pm

He also gives back to the community
I had heard he gives back but never specifics, thanks Biscuit for mentioning that, his foundation sounds awesome. It is interesting, and I believe normal, how I choose a narrative and use confirmation bias to support it. I now have greater respect for Raheem and am delighted he is choosing to use his status and wealth for good. My opinion of his career hasn’t changed and I’ll either be right or wrong, and that is of little importance.

https://raheemsterlingfoundation.org

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm

This blind hatred toward Chelski really does baffle me.....

I remember the fun of us trouncing them 6 - 0 at LR shortly before the Milk Cup Final in 86, Ken bates in his sheep skin was baited more and more by our fans as we made it 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 - 0....

We all before the match (both QPR and Chelsea fans) stood in silence to commemorate the senseless death of a Chelsea fan at Birmingham that had happened recently....

The shed faithful really appreciated our fans being respectful that day and wished us luck in our ill fated venture at Wembley where Jim Smith seemed happy to see that his old "team" won ....

At least Gianni did gain us a fair wedge when negotiating the sell on clause that had no guarantee of happening if Sterling had stayed at the bush for another couple of season's
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:16 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:30 pm
This blind hatred toward Chelski really does baffle me.....
A number of things contribute to that:

i) The crude racism pervading the club when I was growing up and that was perpetrated by their staff and fans,
not 100% sure they've atoned for all that despite wheeling out Paul Canoville on occasion.

ii) They way they've bought success over the last 20 years with a dodgy owner now complicit in state on state
aggression. Unethical is too strong a word but unsavoury sums up their approach.

iii) I'm baffled at the number of supporters they have knowing that in the 70's & 80s our crowds were larger then theirs!

Nothing against Raheem at all, did what he had to when Liverpool came in as we all would to secure our families
and he does do good work here and in the Caribbean. He's not really one of our own but if he rocks up at Loftus Road
with that lot from the Bridge then I'll applaud him same way.
Ifang Bondi

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:22 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:16 am

A number of things contribute to that:

i) The crude racism pervading the club when I was growing up and that was perpetrated by their staff and fans,
not 100% sure they've atoned for all that despite wheeling out Paul Canoville on occasion.

ii) They way they've bought success over the last 20 years with a dodgy owner now complicit in state on state aggression. Unethical is too strong a word but unsavoury sums up their approach.

iii) I'm baffled at the number of supporters they have knowing that in the 70's & 80s our crowds were larger then theirs!
i) we had our own fair share of racists back in the day

ii) we had our fans rock up to the bridge in 2008 for a cup tie with banners saying "we're richer than you" after Flav, Bernie et al bought the club....

We won a championship in 2011 and Bernie, Flav and co then quickly cashed in selling the club for a huge profit to some mug/s with cash on the hip

Even though Abramovich is now persona non gratis and the house of sand was about to collapse, it led to many on here prematurely dancing on their grave, there clubs profile is so large now, they have been taken over by new rich owners and it looks like business as usual....

iii) glory hunters pervade any successful club and QPR played attractive football back in the days of Marsh, Venables, Bowles and Francis.... many a celeb picked up a QPR scarf and moved on when we faded away

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Phil Collins being chief among them.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm

Systemsguy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:22 pm
i) we had our own fair share of racists back in the day

ii) we had our fans rock up to the bridge in 2008 for a cup tie with banners saying "we're richer than you" after Flav, Bernie et al bought the club....

We won a championship in 2011 and Bernie, Flav and co then quickly cashed in selling the club for a huge profit to some mug/s with cash on the hip

Even though Abramovich is now persona non gratis and the house of sand was about to collapse, it led to many on here prematurely dancing on their grave, there clubs profile is so large now, they have been taken over by new rich owners and it looks like business as usual....

iii) glory hunters pervade any successful club and QPR played attractive football back in the days of Marsh, Venables, Bowles and Francis.... many a celeb picked up a QPR scarf and moved on when we faded away
On the 1st point it was institutionalised at Chelsea via their staff in attitude to players there, some details of which are so distressful it's difficult to
recall without one wanting to hire a lawyer to seek redress even at this length of time from then.

The 2nd point, I wasn't there to see that. We do have some knuckledraggers at Loftus Road, not least hearing some of the sexist crap I hear
emanating from Ellerslie Road.

The 3rd point is yes, they are a higher profile club now, I'm not referring to celeb supporters but to ordinary Joes who now show
undying love for them despite living in London and having no intention of visiting SW6... I have met plenty of their fans with that approach.

For me it's friendly banter with them, as I've said if/when Sterling returns to HQ I've nothing but respect for him and
ambivalence to the club.
Ifang Bondi

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm

The 3rd point is yes, they are a higher profile club now, I'm not referring to celeb supporters but to ordinary Joes who now show
undying love for them despite living in London and having no intention of visiting SW6... I have met plenty of their fans with that approach.
My son has been attending since he was 5, a rare breed of being a QPR fan since primary school (I suffered such guilt making him walk down this road)....

All his mates supported the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or worse still Liverpool etc....

Howwwever none of his friends can get tickets to watch "their" clubs....

As young adults they all wanted to watch football live and now regularly rock up to LR to get their fix... I think some have completely switched allegiance

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:02 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:18 pm

My son has been attending since he was 5, a rare breed of being a QPR fan since primary school (I suffered such guilt making him walk down this road)....

All his mates supported the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs or worse still Liverpool etc....

Howwwever none of his friends can get tickets to watch "their" clubs....

As young adults they all wanted to watch football live and now regularly rock up to LR to get their fix... I think some have completely switched allegiance
The people I've met have told me pointedly that they have absolutely no intention of visiting the Bridge which
is different to your sons friends.

They are a surreal lot and not isolated to Scum fans either.
Ifang Bondi