Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by deadendjob » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:13 pm

Cameron Archer is remaining at Villa - so there's a striker option we were heavily linked with initially out.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:07 am
I doubt the club are blind to this particular conundrum, but it's not an easy one to solve without money. Middlesbrough and Hull have recently paid £3M+ for Forss and Estupinan respectively, and I don't think you could confidently say either is proven Championship quality, although I do think Forss is a good signing. I can't see us spending that kind of money without selling someone first, so it's likely to be either another loan or trying to pick up an unpolished gem from the lower divisions or abroad. Unfortunately, while we have generally been smarter in our recruitment in recent years, we've been extremely hit and miss in the striking department.

I think the hope will be that goals are shared around the team among the likes of Willock, Chair, Roberts and Richards, with the defence also chipping in a few here and there, as Dickie and Dunne did last year.
Hopefully amongst those players we can also create a few more chances. I didn't feel Dykes was especially profligate last season, as good as Willock and Chair were i didn't think there was a lot being put on a plate for him. I appreciate some might argue Dykes' own limitations are partly to blame but i think we could see a better return with some improved service and set up the right way. We had enough goals in us until January last season, what we couldn't absorb was the injuries and general malaise across the whole first team, i still wonder whether some players were suffering with the effects of the covid outbreak we had.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 am

Satch wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
I doubt the club are blind to this particular conundrum, but it's not an easy one to solve without money. Middlesbrough and Hull have recently paid £3M+ for Forss and Estupinan respectively, and I don't think you could confidently say either is proven Championship quality, although I do think Forss is a good signing. I can't see us spending that kind of money without selling someone first, so it's likely to be either another loan or trying to pick up an unpolished gem from the lower divisions or abroad. Unfortunately, while we have generally been smarter in our recruitment in recent years, we've been extremely hit and miss in the striking department.

I think the hope will be that goals are shared around the team among the likes of Willock, Chair, Roberts and Richards, with the defence also chipping in a few here and there, as Dickie and Dunne did last year.
Hopefully amongst those players we can also create a few more chances. I didn't feel Dykes was especially profligate last season, as good as Willock and Chair were i didn't think there was a lot being put on a plate for him. I appreciate some might argue Dykes' own limitations are partly to blame but i think we could see a better return with some improved service and set up the right way. We had enough goals in us until January last season, what we couldn't absorb was the injuries and general malaise across the whole first team, i still wonder whether some players were suffering with the effects of the covid outbreak we had.
Yeah, I agree that Dykes could certainly benefit from better service. He's been good for us at times and seems to be one of those strikers that scores in batches. However, when he hasn't scored for a while, you can almost visibly see his confidence drop, and his contribution to the team diminish with it. He averages roughly a goal every four games for us, which isn't bad, and in fact is slightly better than Austin's return during his second spell at the club. I do think we need another genuine striker so that he isn't carrying all the weight though.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:14 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 am
Satch wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:

Yeah, I agree that Dykes could certainly benefit from better service. He's been good for us at times and seems to be one of those strikers that scores in batches. However, when he hasn't scored for a while, you can almost visibly see his confidence drop, and his contribution to the team diminish with it. He averages roughly a goal every four games for us, which isn't bad, and in fact is slightly better than Austin's return during his second spell at the club. I do think we need another genuine striker so that he isn't carrying all the weight though.
I agree we certainly need someone, obviously as you say, whether we find the right fit is another matter.
The change in body language is noticeable for sure and also seems to happen when he's feeling the pressure of having to ensure he converts the few chances he gets. He becomes flat-footed and tends to go looking for the ball which obviously doesn't help. He looked like he had a huge burden lifted when Austin returned and he seemed to benefit from his experience. I think it's worth noting due to his unorthodox route into the game that for a player of his age he's had quite a lot less football and coaching than his peers. Overall i do rate him, he just needs some help.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:01 pm

WLS indicating we're looking more at Dujon Sterling (22yo Chelsea) and considering Nathan Bryne (30yo Derby) as Millwall don't want to depart with McNamara.
https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea ... h-mcnamara

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:25 am

For what it's worth, McNamara played the full game against Cambridge in the EFL Cup on Tuesday night. I don't know whether or not that indicates any change in his contract situation.

Byrne is another player who would probably have been a good signing five years ago, but I think with wing back being such a key area these days, younger legs might be preferable. Even if they are Chelsea ones.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:13 pm

Byrne has joined MLS club Charlotte FC.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:25 pm

Depressing interview with Beale pretty much says we're gunna get one more player in OR we have to get some others go.

https://youtu.be/7H30viCIJVc
Gross. Kakay's not good enough so RB's a priority. No more forwards in. Guess we have to get used to flipping Bonne being off side and missing sitters all season.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:06 pm

Don't get me wrong I would be happy with a new right back but Osman isn't that bad, very good going forward in my opinion and usually puts over a good cross. A far better player than Niko.

In an interview a few weeks ago Mick said that he would like two good players in each position which will take us awhile to achieve! But I think more than one new face will appear before the transfer window closes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose tomorrow but I am still confident of a midtable season.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:48 pm

I agree. Ozzie is not that bad. I think we would get away with him if the players that he links with were very good but unfortunately they are not. Chair and Willock don't really pop up on the right so Ozzie only really has Albert in the current squad to work with down the right and they only seem to be effective in fits and starts. If its a choice between another striker or a right back I would take the former for 9 games out of 10.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 pm

old pauline wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:48 pm
I agree. Ozzie is not that bad. I think we would get away with him if the players that he links with were very good but unfortunately they are not. Chair and Willock don't really pop up on the right so Ozzie only really has Albert in the current squad to work with down the right and they only seem to be effective in fits and starts. If its a choice between another striker or a right back I would take the former for 9 games out of 10.
He is vulnerable. We need a 'tough to get past' right back but we need a decent striker more. Had the board forked out for the striker we needed in January then we'd possibly be in the EPL now. 'What ifs' I spose.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:09 pm

Taylor Richards out for a couple months, Tyler Roberts and Jake Clarke-Salter doubtful for the cup game. Lots of players need resting after today's battle.