Stan Bowles stand

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Scuzzbucket
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Stan Bowles stand

Post by Scuzzbucket » Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm

Sorry if I missed this but why are the club asking fans to pay a few grand to rename the stand?

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Stan Bowles stand

Post by Montag » Wed May 11, 2022 1:38 pm

I thought we were 'sposed to rename the ground every year.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed May 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Remember the book

From buckets to billionaires.....

The irony is we're back to buckets...
2022/2023.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Wed May 11, 2022 5:00 pm

Scuzzbucket wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm
Sorry if I missed this but why are the club asking fans to pay a few grand to rename the stand?
...well ...you would not expect the club to splash few thousands of £ on that....wouldn't you...?? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here is what I read on the Offish:

QPR supporters have successfully raised £8,091.31 for The Stanley Bowles Stand.
In February, the club announced details regarding the next steps for the renaming of the Ellerslie Road Stand.
The costs of Phase One (£6,804) has already been reached and supporters have already contributed a further £1,287.31 towards Phases Two and Three.
The total needed for these phases is £3,362.
Phase One will see ‘The Stanley Bowles Stand’ letters placed on front fascia of the current Ellerslie Road Stand.
Phases Two and Three will see an iconic image of Bowles and lettering displayed on the wall inside the current Ellerslie Road Stand

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 am

There’s a lot more politics behind this than QPR not wanting to pay for a stand…

In short, a small (very vocal) group have been pushing this idea for quite some time. There wasn’t a great deal of consultation or respect shown towards the club or fans that didn’t agree with the idea - so QPR responded it kind.

QPR are effectively saying to them “if you and everyone else want it so much - you pay for it.”
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Thu May 12, 2022 7:02 am

SM wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 am
There’s a lot more politics behind this than QPR not wanting to pay for a stand…

In short, a small (very vocal) group have been pushing this idea for quite some time. There wasn’t a great deal of consultation or respect shown towards the club or fans that didn’t agree with the idea - so QPR responded it kind.

QPR are effectively saying to them “if you and everyone else want it so much - you pay for it.”
Cheers SM for clearing that up, I found the bucket collections outside the ground a bit embarrassing and reminiscent of the early 2000's....

However my close season moan at the club ( outside the manager and player contracts fiasco ) is sort out the floodlights, the PA system (I sit in the paddock near the dugouts and can't hear a thing from the pitchside interviews) and either refurb Sparks costume for the new season or retire the character completely, my son has fond memories of him when he replaced Jude.... He currently looks like a homeless vagrant when walking round the pitchside ....

LP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by LP » Thu May 12, 2022 10:20 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:02 am
SM wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:32 am

Cheers SM for clearing that up, I found the bucket collections outside the ground a bit embarrassing and reminiscent of the early 2000's....

However my close season moan at the club ( outside the manager and player contracts fiasco ) is sort out the floodlights, the PA system (I sit in the paddock near the dugouts and can't hear a thing from the pitchside interviews) and either refurb Sparks costume for the new season or retire the character completely, my son has fond memories of him when he replaced Jude.... He currently looks like a homeless vagrant when walking round the pitchside ....
Thanks SM - that's my understanding as well. Unfortunately as is often the case where you can't just outright say the reason, it does have the side-effect of the club coming across as being very petty and nobody comes out of it well.

Personally thought the floodlights are noticeably better than previous seasons, though?
my son has fond memories of him when he replaced Jude.... He currently looks like a homeless vagrant when walking round the pitchside ....
Bit mean to say your son looks like a homeless vagrant :P

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu May 12, 2022 10:45 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Well there is a cost of living crisis you know. Tough times for mascots everywhere, and people are reluctant to approach a tiger, even if they have change to spare.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Fri May 13, 2022 2:34 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:45 am
Systemsguy wrote:
Well there is a cost of living crisis you know. Tough times for mascots everywhere, and people are reluctant to approach a tiger, even if they have change to spare.
black cats are lucky then?

I think similar to the old QPR badge, the older fans never really took to Sparks as he was a Flav creation....

One of the men who made money from owning the club when off loading it to some mug/s with cash on the hip....

Sparks was popular however with the young ones like my son as he was the age mascots are actually targeted at....

As I said if the club can't be asked to refurb the costume, retire the character completely...

Spend the money saved on a decent PA system and improving the lights (When playing Everton in the league cup last autumn, the referee appointed said that if the game was in the premier league, he would have abandoned the game)