All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Six Being Released

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 06, 2022 10:53 am

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/si ... pr-060522/

THE CLUB can confirm six players will leave QPR at the end of the season following the expiry of their contracts.

Charlie Austin, Dom Ball, Dillon Barnes, David Marshall, Lee Wallace and Kieren Westwood will all depart at the conclusion of the 2021/22 campaign.

While Austin signed a two-year deal in 2021, the second year was subject to appearance criteria in his first season.

We would like to thank the departing players for their hard work and efforts during their time with the club.

Conversations are continuing with Albert Adomah, Yoann Barbet, Moses Odubajo, Charlie Owens and Olamide Shodipo.

QPR CEO Lee Hoos said: “We would like to thank the departing players for their hard work and efforts during their time with the club.

“Charlie’s return to QPR, initially on loan, was the catalyst for an incredible turnaround in the club’s fortunes and we are incredibly grateful to him for his dedication and determination in helping us progress, both on and off the pitch.

“His leadership has been enormous for the development of the squad, while him being named the club’s Men’s Community Champion demonstrates how much importance he placed on his role with the fans and in the local area.

“Dom and Lee have also been excellent servants for QPR. Their commitment and desire are just two reasons why they leave as very popular players among the fanbase.

“David and Kieren came in during an unprecedented spate of injuries to our goalkeeping department, and they gave everything from the moment they arrived.

“While Dillon never played in the first team, we thank him for his efforts.

“We would like to wish Charlie, Dom, Dillon, David, Lee and Kieren all the very best for the future.”
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Six Being Released

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 06, 2022 10:57 am

No surprises there really. Good to hear that they're at least in talks with Barbet. Quite what "conversations" would be needed with Owens and Shodipo (beyond Thank You and Goodbye) are beyond me.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri May 06, 2022 10:59 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:53 am
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/si ... pr-060522/

THE CLUB can confirm six players will leave QPR at the end of the season following the expiry of their contracts.

Charlie Austin, Dom Ball, Dillon Barnes, David Marshall, Lee Wallace and Kieren Westwood will all depart at the conclusion of the 2021/22 campaign.

While Austin signed a two-year deal in 2021, the second year was subject to appearance criteria in his first season.

We would like to thank the departing players for their hard work and efforts during their time with the club.

Conversations are continuing with Albert Adomah, Yoann Barbet, Moses Odubajo, Charlie Owens and Olamide Shodipo.

QPR CEO Lee Hoos said: “We would like to thank the departing players for their hard work and efforts during their time with the club.

“Charlie’s return to QPR, initially on loan, was the catalyst for an incredible turnaround in the club’s fortunes and we are incredibly grateful to him for his dedication and determination in helping us progress, both on and off the pitch.

“His leadership has been enormous for the development of the squad, while him being named the club’s Men’s Community Champion demonstrates how much importance he placed on his role with the fans and in the local area.

“Dom and Lee have also been excellent servants for QPR. Their commitment and desire are just two reasons why they leave as very popular players among the fanbase.

“David and Kieren came in during an unprecedented spate of injuries to our goalkeeping department, and they gave everything from the moment they arrived.

“While Dillon never played in the first team, we thank him for his efforts.

“We would like to wish Charlie, Dom, Dillon, David, Lee and Kieren all the very best for the future.”
So Barbet is having talks over a new contract

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Fri May 06, 2022 12:08 pm

I'm inexplicably annoyed about Dom Ball leaving

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 06, 2022 12:13 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:57 am
No surprises there really. Good to hear that they're at least in talks with Barbet. Quite what "conversations" would be needed with Owens and Shodipo (beyond Thank You and Goodbye) are beyond me.
Owens now back to full fitness and playing. He scored a super direct free kick recently, something no one in our first team squad seems able to do.

He at least deserves a chance, which injury has so far robbed him of. He is one of the 'grow your own' players, so give him a year, give him a chance in the first team and see what happens.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 06, 2022 1:22 pm

He'll be 25 later this year, and has about 20 minutes EFL football under his belt and that was three years ago for Wycombe. Of course he's been terribly unlucky with injuries, but what possible evidence is there that he's good enough for this level ?

He joined us from Spurs aged 19, so he's not even really in the "homegrown" category, not that I think that's of any particular importance. The club have stood by him through all his problems, but I really don't see that he's owed anything at this point.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri May 06, 2022 3:00 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:08 pm
Agreed. Not sure about Wallace either. Still has a good season or 2 in him.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

StevenageRanger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by StevenageRanger » Fri May 06, 2022 3:19 pm

Agree with UxbridgeR here. For a player that is 25 this year and never started a professional league game, it makes you think he cant be up to scratch.

Shame about Dom Ball IMO, thought he could offer something.

I read that for Shodipo we have the option of a further year. I always thought he looked fairly lively when playing, may be one of those players that a new manager may fancy and gets somethign from him.

Sad to see Charlie go but sentiment aside I think its the right call.Semi- Suprised Wallace didnt get another year (he may not want to stay for all I know)

Be goodto get Barbet on another contract.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri May 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:00 pm
Lee Gib wrote:
63 appearances in three years for Lee Wallace surely tells the story. Was excellent in the second half of last season, and good when he played this year, but they're not much use to you when the majority of their time is spent on the treatment table. 35 in August too.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Fri May 06, 2022 5:03 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:39 pm
Montag wrote:
Lee Gib wrote:
63 appearances in three years for Lee Wallace surely tells the story. Was excellent in the second half of last season, and good when he played this year, but they're not much use to you when the majority of their time is spent on the treatment table. 35 in August too.
Too true unfortunately. Definitely good enough for us, but I guess they think he's injured too often to be cost effective.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri May 06, 2022 5:15 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:57 am
Agreed. It seems absurd we keep renewing contracts for kids that never really seem good enough.
In saying that, the same could be said about Chair. He didn't really look good enough and now he's a starting player.

Hanuhoff
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Hanuhoff » Fri May 06, 2022 5:20 pm

Montag wrote:
Lee Gib wrote:
If there was any truth in the Dave Mac article, then it's not surprising. Very much Warburton's man.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri May 06, 2022 5:23 pm

I can't disagree with any of them being released really except for Dom Ball. I'd have to assume he wants more game time and we can't promise him that. He's fallen out of favour and further down the pecking order for whatever reason, but being only 26 (turning 27 in August) and on what I'd assume are reasonable wages, it seems a tad odd. In saying that, he's not really featured much for any club. I know he was injured for a bit, but it does raise the question if there's an attitude problem or maybe he's just been deemed not good enough?

I'd give Uncle Albert another year off the bench as he pours his heart into the team.
Barbet has been a main stay of our defence, so I'd be happy for him to be renewed.
Moses is good enough at this level and provided his wages are in-line, I don't really mind either way.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri May 06, 2022 7:27 pm

Of course, all of this is without a manager in place going forward. MW clearly didn't rate Ball (for whatever reason) and promoted Field ahead of him. The new man might see things differently.

It wouldn't be the first time a player was released and then resigned a few weeks later. If he's not snapped up by someone else, he might get the chance to show the new guy what he's got. After all, his contract isn't up for another two months.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Sat May 07, 2022 2:09 pm

..well...as I agree on 5 of them to be released I would have kept Ball one more year...he is a sort of "utility" player that can be very useful especially when you have a "soft" midfield as we do...