Warburton

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Warburton

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:17 am

In the context of Warbs' 3 year tenure this would appear to be a very bad decision but unfortunately the 'relegation' form of the last 3 months would probably result in most modern day managers being shown the door.

Personally, I will only ever have good memories of Warbs time as a manager of our club and think the board should have continued backing him. He always behaved with the utmost decorum and I wish him all the very best for the future.
Question everything.

pindarus

Post by pindarus » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:54 am

Without being too ageist I believe that when a manager approaches 60 he loses the ability to innovate and becomes too cautious and this is what has happened here.
The last 3 months have not been impressive and the club has made a bold decision, given that we have got it wrong several times recently.
We definitely won't get Sean Dyche.
How about a continental manager? Who knew about Thomas Frank before his appointment? Perhaps he would fancy a move just up the road :shock:

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:24 am

I don't think a continental manager would work. We need a manager with an understanding of where we have come from and how we are trying to become more self-sufficient and develop home grown players .... although I guess that is what Xavi at Barcelona is doing now ??

Tactics and methods aside, one of the key things that our next Manager needs to be able to do is to address our long established cycle of going off the boil on a regular basis. Every manager since I have been supporting QPR has got us playing for periods but then there is always a malaise which no matter what talking is done before the game results in sub-standard displays, usually away to a northern team in the bottom 6.

That, for me, is the one thing that I would like to see a new manager cure.

We might need a hard Scottish b*stard like a Billy Davies, or maybe a modern equivalent, like Lee Johnson to exterminate the QPR way ....
Come on you Sooopa ........

beaglebum
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by beaglebum » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 am

The really frustrating thing is, if we had beaten both Peterborough and cardiff at home, which it looked like we would do at a canter before collapsing within a few minutes, we'd be in prime spot for 6th place! Such a crazy league! I'd love it if we beat Sheffield United 6-0 tonight and results go our way so that we still make the playoffs. Now that would be as interesting as its unlikely.

I personally think its a mistake and it does wonder if there were murmurings around HQ for a while which affected our form. I do however think its a nicer gesture to announce it now so the fans and hopefully the players can show their appreciation.

I read alot about Eustace stepping up (cheap alternative?) But if thats the case then A) what could he do that he's not done already as the no2 and B) if he is that highly thought of then surely there's a risk he'll leave when the new manager steps in with his own team?

In QPR we trust but Warburton must rank up there with Francis and Warnock for his achievements based on the budget he had to deal with and i pray, that unlike those two, we don't go downhill after he leaves.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:45 am

Montag wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:33 pm
I expect to see Chris Hughton appointed. Who else is there we can afford? Ollie again? Actually, we could do a lot worse except he'd probably tell them to shove it.
See my comments above re Hughton. Undoubtedly a good coach, but is he a 'good fit'? If not - well just look at Forest.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:17 am

To put things into perspective, since the turn of the century ...

2000/01 Championship - relegated - Francis & then Holloway in charge
2001/02 - League One - 8th - Holloway in charge
2002/03 - League One - lost in the play off final - Holloway
2003/04 - League One - runners up - Holloway
2004/05 - Championship - 11th - Holloway
2005/06 - Championship - 21st Holloway & Waddock
2006/07 - Championship - 18th - Gregory, Harford & Di Canio
2007/08 - Championship - 14th - Di Canio
2008/09 - Championship - 11th - Dowie, Ainsworth, Sousa
2009/10 - Championship - 13th - Magilton, Gallen & Bircham, Hart, Harford, Warnock
2010/11 - Championship - CHAMPIONS - Warnock
2011/12 - Premiership - 17th - Warnock, Hughes
2012/13 - Premiership - relegated - Hughes, Redknapp
2013/14 - Championship - Play off winners - Redknapp
2014/15 - Premiership - relegated - Redknapp, Ramsay
2015/16 - Championship - 12th - Ramsay, Warnock, Hasselbaink
2016/17 - Championship - 18th - Holloway
2017/18 - Championship - 18th - Holloway
2018/19 - Championship - 19th McClaren
2019/20 - Championship - 13th - Warburton
2020/21 - Championship - 9th - Warburton
2021/22 - Championship - the lowest we can finish is 18th the highest 6th (both of these are unlikely) - with two games to go - Warburton

So, taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture, apart from Warnock, Warburton has done a better job than all the rest. OK Redknapp took us up, but with the biggest budget in the division, and a much younger, fitter and possibly better as a result Charlie Austin. Warburton has had one of the smallest budgets in the division. had crippling injuries to key players - Dieng and Willock being top of that list.

So, what now, or may be who now? If Tim Sherwood gets it, he won't be popular with the fans - I've not seen any QPR fans anywhere saying they want him, most say they definitely don't want him. Ferdinand will also be accused of croneyism. There's Sean Dyche - maybe he'll give us a backbone, so we don't go to Barnsley and Peterborough and roll over. Or there's Hughton who was an abject failure at Forest (that's Forest who could be in the Premier League next season, but were heading for League One with Hughton in charge).

There are no gimme's in football, so this is a huge gamble by the club.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:18 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:45 am
Montag wrote:
I expect to see Chris Hughton appointed. Who else is there we can afford? Ollie again? Actually, we could do a lot worse except he'd probably tell them to shove it.
See my comments above re Hughton. Undoubtedly a good coach, but is he a 'good fit'? If not - well just look at Forest.
I agree he is a good coach and a nice guy to boot. I think he would struggle here at QPR, though.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:32 am

Montag wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:18 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Montag wrote:
I agree he is a good coach and a nice guy to boot. I think he would struggle here at QPR, though.
Very defensive tactician. Ask Brighton and Forest supporters. Wouldn't work for us.
Come on you Sooopa ........

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:38 am

old pauline wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:32 am
Montag wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:18 am
ZENITH R wrote:

Very defensive tactician. Ask Brighton and Forest supporters. Wouldn't work for us.
Indeed. The club statement on Warburton's departure talks about how "he has helped the club establish a style of play and a DNA for which we are hugely grateful". Unless we're intent on throwing all of that out the window, it can't be someone like Hughton.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

loonee
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by loonee » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:20 pm

Assuming Wycombe don't get promoted through the playoffs (if they get into them) I wonder if Ainsworth is in their thoughts.

Has done pretty well working on a tight budget, had one season in the Championship, admittedly relegated but only just.

Not playing the same sort of game as Warburton as more long ball at Wycombe, but I would imagine that is out of necessity and the limitations he has there. Young enough to have more than one game plan.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:34 pm

All of this does make you wonder. We have clearly and demonstrably moved forward under Mark Warburton, and these things take time, especially when you consider the other factors, such as injuries to key players and budget constraints. I can only assume then that something has happened behind the scenes that we know nothing about.

Maybe it will emerge in time, or we might have to wait for MW's autobiography.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:50 pm

loonee wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:20 pm
Assuming Wycombe don't get promoted through the playoffs (if they get into them) I wonder if Ainsworth is in their thoughts.

Has done pretty well working on a tight budget, had one season in the Championship, admittedly relegated but only just.

Not playing the same sort of game as Warburton as more long ball at Wycombe, but I would imagine that is out of necessity and the limitations he has there. Young enough to have more than one game plan.
Ainsworth has been there 10 years. If he'd wanted to change the style of play, he would surely have done so by now. There are clubs in L1 and L2 that have small budgets, but still try to play a passing game. Like Hughton, I just can't see how he would be the man to build on the work Warburton has done.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:19 pm

The run of form was atrocious but I think I’d have given him until around about Xmas to work out if he could turn it around.

It’s very odd on the face of it without knowing who they’ve got lined up to come in (if anyone). Feels a bit like Ollie out for McClaren in the sense that progress being made was interrupted by an odd decision

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:54 pm

stainesranger wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:19 pm
'"
The run of form was atrocious but I think I’d have given him until around about Xmas to work out if he could turn it around.

It’s very odd on the face of it without knowing who they’ve got lined up to come in (if anyone). Feels a bit like Ollie out for McClaren in the sense that progress being made was interrupted by an odd decision
I don’t think we would have to wait until Christmas to see if Warburton could turn it around.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:07 pm

stainesranger wrote:

Holloway was a clown, not convinced there was any progress and he was doing nothing for the development of young players.
QPR_John wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:54 pm
stainesranger wrote:
'"

I don’t think we would have to wait until Christmas to see if Warburton could turn it around.
I think he deserved another crack with everyone fit.

My big concern is that the subtext of not retaining MW is the board think the squad, even in it's curent state is good enought. I don't believe that to be close to the case, we've done well on the budget we have, if we can't add crucial depth then so be it but i don't think it's reasonable to expect us to make the playoffs with out a huge stroke of luck.

I do wonder if we're seeing the long term effects of both last season's heavily congested schedule and possibly many players having had covid. I don't know who has and hasn't had it but SJ looks an absolute shadow of himself, Dykes too albeit i still think a bit unfailry maligned. Dickie hasn't been the same, Wallace, Chair just finding his best again.