Warburton Set For Sack - Daily Mail

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Re: Warburton Set For Sack - Daily Mail

Post by SM » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:00 am

I think any talk of him getting sacked is very premature - but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him given the bullet at the end of the season.

MW is a victim of his own success - and regardless of what the form table says, the overall job that he has done in his time here is nothing short of outstanding. Those expectations have been raised amongst supporters and the board, even if it was built by heavily punching above our weight.

The development in some of the youngsters (Manning, BOS, Eze, Chair, Willock, Dieng to name a few) has been phenomenal, and I don't think that I can personally recall ANY manager being so committed to development from within. And he's managed to do all of that whilst playing attractive, attack-minded football and keeping us on the right side of FFP.

Personally, I wouldn't get rid of him now or at the end of the season, but I do think some questions need to be raised. Our January window was a shambles. I lost count of how many goals Marshall ended up throwing in, Sanderson is a sorry excuse for a CB - JDW every day of the week for me over him, and I won't even start on Hendrick who I would gladly drive back up to Newcastle right now if I could.

The weird 'no striker' experiment cost us valuable points - as did the prioritising of forcing a way to get Hendrick on the pitch. To keep harping on about sport science and getting minutes into legs, and then to throw Dykes right into the thick of a London derby when we've not seen him for weeks on end seemed equally as odd as some of the other decisions.

I still think he's a very good manager and I don't believe anyone else out there would do a better job - but I do think he's lost the plot over the last few weeks. Just as many better, high-profile managers have done at other clubs at varying stages of their career.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:05 am

carrotstick wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:49 am
However, in January we were in a great position and had a realistic chance of getting a lot of money if we were to be promoted. This would have given the club a better & stable financial position. I know we would come straight back down, but that's not the point, we want our club to be financially stable and have blown it. I very much doubt that come January 2023 we will be challenging for promotion again
Sadly, I agree with you.

This was our season to have a real go at it, and as good as the previous January was - this one was a car crash. I totally understand we had the restrictions of FFP to contend with, but of the signings made, none of them have performed particularly well.

Marshall started well and then couldn't stop throwing them into the net, and as for Sanderson & Hendrick... The less said the better.

I don't know what we're paying for these clowns, but I wish we would have invested that budget into a number 10 / striker as many fans called for back at the time.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:57 pm

I've got egg on my face as I said on here that Sanderson and Hendrick looked good in their first
appearance for us.
Of the various theories as to why we've gone to pot it looks like the three loanees are the reason.
I'd stick with MW. I wonder if he had pressure from above to bring those loans in.
We've still got a good team here and I would expect a good 2022/3.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:58 pm

I fully expect Rangers to go out there and win tomorrow night. We all know what they're like.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:30 pm

Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:58 pm
I fully expect Rangers to go out there and win tomorrow night. We all know what they're like.
A wet, cold, Tuesday night up North..... yeh, we know what they are like :D

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:07 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:49 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:23 am
Let’s put a few things into perspective … we have one if the smallest budgets in the division. We have had injuries to key players including our leading goal scorer and injuries to not one but four goalkeepers. The ANC definitely disrupted our rhythm, and let’s be totally honest - none of us expected promotion pre-season. The disappointment comes from raised expectations from our excellent season. Compare this one with any from the last five or six, and this one has been superb. Yes, there are some things that could have been done better. Our performances against the weaker teams in the division has been both frustrating and disappointing, but let’s not go OTT here. We are not currently good enough to be anything other than canon fodder in the Prem, so thanks, but no thanks. Let’s continue to build, and enjoy the journey.
However, in January we were in a great position and had a realistic chance of getting a lot of money if we were to be promoted. This would have given the club a better & stable financial position. I know we would come straight back down, but that's not the point, we want our club to be financially stable and have blown it. I very much doubt that come January 2023 we will be challenging for promotion again

See my comments re the ACN and injuries. Last season our business in the January window was super. So much so that we made all of our loans permanent. This January was a disaster by comparison, worse … none of last years loans have really justified being taken on permanently. Not really MW’s fault. We were all applauding his transfer dealings last season. We were very happy with the decision to make those loans permanent too. Why has it gone nipples north? Possibly a lack of depth in the squad, injuries to key players and our over achieving squad finding their true level. Looking at the Barnsley, Peterborough, Hull and Cardiff results and performances … we have been doing that for years - we have a soft underbelly.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:31 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:30 pm
Montag wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:58 pm
A wet, cold, Tuesday night up North..... yeh, we know what they are like :D
How kind of you to bring me down to earth.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 pm

Dave Mc's confirmed there are talks to replace Breadman at the end of the season if we fail to make the playoffs. He's really done it to himself by overachieving this season. Still seems ridiculous.
https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/war ... -uncertain

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:57 am

The best way to stop this nonsense talk is stringing 5 or more wins together.
Question everything.

Nw6ranger

Post by Nw6ranger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 am

Would they give MW a new contract if we miraculously went up ?. They might decide to go for someone with more premiership experience.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 am

Nw6ranger wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 am
Would they give MW a new contract if we miraculously went up ?. They might decide to go for someone with more premiership experience.
Ponder this, as a manger 'Arry Redknapp has the third most Premier League games to his name with 639 and Mark Hughes is 8th with 345 :shock: ...it's enough to make a grown man cry.
Question everything.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:46 am

WA Hoop wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 am
Nw6ranger wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 am
Ponder this, as a manger 'Arry Redknapp has the third most Premier League games to his name with 639 and Mark Hughes is 8th with 345 :shock: ...it's enough to make a grown man cry.
This is quite shocking, and somewhat depressing. I thought I'd managed to get over the nightmare...
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 am

deadendjob wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 pm
Dave Mc's confirmed there are talks to replace Breadman at the end of the season if we fail to make the playoffs. He's really done it to himself by overachieving this season. Still seems ridiculous.
I may well have missed it but where in the article is the confirmation that there are talks to replace Warburton.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:14 am

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 am
deadendjob wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 pm
I may well have missed it but where in the article is the confirmation that there are talks to replace Warburton.
I don't think it's there either. He's on a rolling one year contract, which runs out at the end of the season, so obviously there will be talks then about whether he stays on or not, and not making the play-offs may impact that decision. I didn't read it as meaning that he will definitely go if we don't make the top six.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:00 pm

To get rid would be lunacy, he's done far more good than bad during his tenure. We know he wanted to bring in a forward in January, we weren't able to, likewise, the bad spell has coincided with notable absences as much as it has with the January signings.

Marshall had some good games and some poor ones (at one point a lot of fans surprisingly wanted him to keep Dieng out of the side) but ultimately who else was available in an emergency and would they have been better?

Sanderson had looked very promising and again, whilst he's had utter 'mares he's also had decent games, JDW has barely been fit and Sanderson has pace, i don't think you can fault the signing, i thought he did fine on Saturday and credit to MW to have the bollocks to keep him in the side.

Hendrick has been poor but he's only one player, Stef is obviously struggling so again the logic is sound and options limited, i agree he's had more minutes than deserved but i wouldn't sack MW over it, especially as it would have been a different story with a fully fit side.

As other's have said, he'd be a victim of his own overachievement. The only possible reasoning for his firing i would accept would be if the club really, truly believes Eustace is the future of this club and realistically we can't retain both. I'm not advocating it and i think it a huge gamble but at least it would be a decision based on pragmatism and long-termism which is something we've come to expect from those currently in charge.