All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

the big IP
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Quiet on here

Post by the big IP » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:31 pm

just an observation

When i first joined on here many moons ago it was a hibe of activity.

Now there is very little content.

Whats going on ?

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Quiet on here

Post by WA Hoop » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:53 am

Compare and contrast with 'Loft For Words'.
Question everything.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:35 am

the big IP wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:31 pm
just an observation

Whats going on ?
Unfortunately people have moved on because of bullying and abuse. There are several conversations in my private message box where I have encouraged people to stay after an argument with one particular board member.

A sign of the times where friendly debate has been replaced by aggressive responses and the culture of 'If you don't agree with me then you're a ****

The one that always got me was when someone would tell me my point of view was 'laughable.'

Ten years ago all being Rangers fans would have been enough to keep us all on an even keel but not anymore.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:49 am

The rise of other social media such as FB, Twitter, Whatsapp and Instagram means fans have a plethora of options to use. Younger fans tend to use those sites. Messageboards, such as this one, are pretty old technology now though seemingly still used by football fans in particular. I started using this one in its first form in the mid-90s!

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 am

There’s not much to moan about now is there… :lol:
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 am

SM wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 am
For quite a few people who have been 'regulars' you have hit the nail on the head. They have been conspicuous by their absence, but will doubtless return at the first sign of a crisis either on the pitch or behind the scenes.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 am
SM wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 am
For quite a few people who have been 'regulars' you have hit the nail on the head. They have been conspicuous by their absence, but will doubtless return at the first sign of a crisis either on the pitch or behind the scenes.
Haha!

I’ve loved this season so far… I went self employed during the pandemic which is why I’ve not been able to post much recently - but I’m still here!

Glad you’re keeping well though mate :D
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:44 am

Rbee wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:35 am
Unfortunately people have moved on because of bullying and abuse. There are several conversations in my private message box where I have encouraged people to stay after an argument with one particular board member.

A sign of the times where friendly debate has been replaced by aggressive responses and the culture of 'If you don't agree with me then you're a ****

The one that always got me was when someone would tell me my point of view was 'laughable.'

Ten years ago all being Rangers fans would have been enough to keep us all on an even keel but not anymore.
I don't think it was any different ten years ago. I got abuse for years for not buying into the belief that our owners were benevolent visionaries who didn't do failure or that Adel Taarabt was a infallible godlike genius. I've seen plenty of abuse between posters on LFW too. It can quite a cesspit at times. As others have pointed out, it was almost always busier here when things weren't going well for the club, and for the last year, we've been doing rather well, so some of the most voluble critics are conspicuous by their absence. Consequently there's less traffic.

I think part of the appeal of LFW over this board is the fact that all topics are up for discussion in one forum. When there was no football for months at the start of lockdown, there was no real reason to come here, but over there there were multiple topics that helped to keep people engaged. I wonder if that became more posters' default option as a result. And as dm says, there are now multiple other social media options where people can exchange views on QPR. I think they're all toxic at times though. Same at every club.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

whittonhoop
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by whittonhoop » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:57 am

It’s a shame the board is quiet, we are playing the best football we have in years, dominating possession (mostly) with defeats generally against very strong teams. Though at least we kept true to being QPR by losing to Peterborough.

We seem to be getting back to where we were early 90s, buy players, develop them (and enjoy watching it) then let them move on for big fees with our blessing.

A dream to have a team based on a number of sellable assets, not that I want them to leave, but it’s a load better than being stuck with players for there years.

(Expecting a loss Saturday for the record)

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:24 pm

I think the point about LFW having the one forum for all topics is valid because you can chat about other things if you don't agree or aren't interested in the football threads. I also think the posters on there generally have a slightly better understanding and appreciation of what is happening at the club. That's not to take away from some of the posters on here. Reading an SM match report, for example, is akin to being sat in the dug-out/in the changing room at half-time, but as the great man himself has admitted, he sadly hasn't had the time (or been at the games) to give us the benefit of his wise words.
Come on you Sooopa ........

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:29 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:44 am
Rbee wrote:

I don't think it was any different ten years ago. I got abuse for years for not buying into the belief that our owners were benevolent visionaries who didn't do failure or that Adel Taarabt was a infallible godlike genius. I've seen plenty of abuse between posters on LFW too. It can quite a cesspit at times. As others have pointed out, it was almost always busier here when things weren't going well for the club, and for the last year, we've been doing rather well, so some of the most voluble critics are conspicuous by their absence. Consequently there's less traffic.

I think part of the appeal of LFW over this board is the fact that all topics are up for discussion in one forum. When there was no football for months at the start of lockdown, there was no real reason to come here, but over there there were multiple topics that helped to keep people engaged. I wonder if that became more posters' default option as a result. And as dm says, there are now multiple other social media options where people can exchange views on QPR. I think they're all toxic at times though. Same at every club.

I'm touched that you remembered. In my defence I’m only human and cannot be right all of the time
Last edited by QPR_John on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 pm

May not post as much these days but still come here every single day. Have done for years and years. Lurking like many others no doubt. Dot.org is the OG and always will be.

You R’s.

P.S. I miss DAVEf. :( Whether you Loved him or hated him, he was a man who knew how to make this place anything other than quiet. RIP.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:15 am

Rbee wrote:
the big IP wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:31 pm
just an observation

Whats going on ?

Unfortunately this is true. We used to have some pretty good debates without people resorting to insults on here but there is a culture of attacking anyone that might have an independent train of thought or who dares criticise decisions made by the club. At the moment, we are doing well and that's great. I like MW. One of the best managers we've had. He was my choice in 2015 when we were relegated and he was available. When I suggested it, no one commented. The club chose the guy who took us down, winning one home game in half a season. It then took the club a further 4 appointments to get it right. People have a right to moan about this and anything else about the club or players that doesn't come up to standard. DG has done a great job of running this board and 16 years ago when I was in a really poor state of health it was a real lifeline for me, psychologically. I'm in a poor state again now yet I rarely post or visit. To be honest, it saddens me. That said, I would like to emphasise that most people I have debated with on here are still polite and friendly and I like to hear reasoned opinions but there are a small number of people - very few, who do not adhere to that standard. But I see no reason why this board cannot return to its former glory just like our Rangers are doing - it can rise like a phoenix from the flames. woohoo
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:06 am

One thing for sure is we are absent the trolls, and long may that continue.

When we are not playing well, for many it's natural to moan and criticise, and in Game day threads this us fine with me.

The problem has been the polarizing, and sometimes inflammatory nature of subsequent threads and their content.

Healthy debate is good and for sure this has declined. Extremism in any form, tends to either escalate or just plain put people off.

I'm mostly quiet these days because I don't have a lot to say. Enjoying the brilliant run of form, excited when I get the chance to watch the game on TV (very rare) and if I think I have something of interest to say I will post. Again rare.

I miss the just back reports from various posters, nothing like hearing about the game from those who attend.

Just to close, I really want to wish you all a Happy New Year and a massive thank you to DG for running this site!
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:12 am

Markybabar wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 pm
May not post as much these days but still come here every single day. Have done for years and years. Lurking like many others no doubt. Dot.org is the OG and always will be.

You R’s.

P.S. I miss DAVEf. :( Whether you Loved him or hated him, he was a man who knew how to make this place anything other than quiet. RIP.
Re: your PS... I'm totally with you on this. Always enjoyed his contributions, RIP DaveF.

We've had some great contributors over my time on this board, and I'm sure, like you Markybabar, a few are "lurking".
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.