Stroud ...again!

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

ANDREW1302
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Stroud ...again!

Post by ANDREW1302 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:25 am

I continue to write to the EFL regarding his incompetence and have had a detailed reply [ at last] which is below. Some interesting information. Still think he is just not good enough but at least a detailed response.

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your email sent to EFL CEO Trevor Birch. While noting and acknowledging your views, Trevor has asked me to respond on his behalf in my capacity as Communications Director.

Firstly it is important to note that appointments of match officials is not the decision of the EFL. To prevent any influence by Leagues and Clubs on the process of allocating match officials, this task is under the jurisdiction of PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Ltd). This is independent of Leagues and Clubs to protect the integrity of the appointment process.

It is important to note that all officials at SG1, SG2 and within the National list have undergone many years training and development to reach these levels, at all times being subject to PGMOL requirements relating to integrity and transparency, as well as training, fitness and overall development. As just one example, there is criteria in place to ensure referees do not referee games should any interest in participating teams be declared (such as ever holding a season ticket for example or family connections) and as a result are excluded from officiating those clubs, or clubs within very close proximity to where they reside.

In relation to Keith Stroud, he lives in the south of England and is regularly appointed to games in and around London, as a city easily accessible/commutable to him. As you will understand, travel distance over the festive period, where match officials are appointed to several games over a very short time frame, is a factor for consideration when PGMOL makes their appointments. Keith Stroud is one of the most experienced referees in the EFL Championship and is appointed by PGMOL based on his ability, training and progression.

Of course, as you’re already aware from previous correspondence with the EFL Supporter Servies team in early November, in addition to match by match assessment and feedback from referee coaches, referees are also subject to review by Club managers who submit a report on their performances. All of this data helps to produce a ‘merit list’ of match officials on which appointments, retention or reclassification are based. Clubs are encouraged to provide constructive feedback on match officials and dialogue is encouraged with PGMOL. The EFL Referees’ Manager works bid to constantly improve standards and support the development of match officials and Select Group 2 officials are subject to a range of training measures to encourage continuous development and improvement.

In a general sense, it is recognised that that occasionally the decisions made by match officials can be a source of frustration for supporters. The EFL receives numerous queries and complaints regarding individual officials’ decisions and their overall performances. Again, as previously advised, while we are not always able to comment on specific incidents, it is important to note that the match officials having a challenging role and the human element of the sport means referees do also make mistakes during games, just like players and managers do. Ultimately, under the guidance of PGMOL, it is for the match officials to analyse these errors with their coaches and the referees’ manager in order to develop and enhance their game.

I hope the above has provided some additional guidance and context for you, and once again thank you for getting in touch with your feedback, and for contacting the EFL.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Stroud ...again!

Post by Giorgio » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:42 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:25 am

In a general sense, it is recognised that that occasionally the decisions made by match officials can be a source of frustration for supporters.
...occasionally...?? Are they serious....?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That pr#k is an incompetent joke....enough watching his stats and some videos when he ref us... :evil: :evil:

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 pm

I think any challenge to 'the authorities' relating to the competence or incompetence of an official/ officials is doomed to failure. They absolutely, will not say, you are dead right, we'll sack him.

However, I think it is fair to ask why an official is allowed to officiate in a match involving their home town club? The stats, reproduced on here about the number of games Bournemouth have won when he is in charge, or the number of opposition players sent off etc, would in my mind need further scrutiny. He isn't the only ref in the south of England, and managing to avoid him officiating at Bournemouth matches should not be too difficult.

No one person is more important than the game, or perhaps that should be .... no one person is more important than the integrity of the game.

At the very least the FA and EFL should carry out an internal investigation. They will have all of the data and a wealth of video evidence to support that investigation and help them to draw their own conclusions.

Even if Mr Stroud thinks he is not favouring his home town club ... there is a thing called unconscious bias. Look it up.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

qprphilip

Post by qprphilip » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:26 am

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 pm
I think any challenge to 'the authorities' relating to the competence or incompetence of an official/ officials is doomed to failure. They absolutely, will not say, you are dead right, we'll sack him.

However, I think it is fair to ask why an official is allowed to officiate in a match involving their home town club? The stats, reproduced on here about the number of games Bournemouth have won when he is in charge, or the number of opposition players sent off etc, would in my mind need further scrutiny. He isn't the only ref in the south of England, and managing to avoid him officiating at Bournemouth matches should not be too difficult.

No one person is more important than the game, or perhaps that should be .... no one person is more important than the integrity of the game.

At the very least the FA and EFL should carry out an internal investigation. They will have all of the data and a wealth of video evidence to support that investigation and help them to draw their own conclusions.

Even if Mr Stroud thinks he is not favouring his home town club ... there is a thing called unconscious bias. Look it up.
Spot on mate.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:56 pm

Hypothetically of course, I wonder what a jury would make of his stats?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:51 am

Our favourite ref was officiating at Blackburn yesterday and was clearly at his usual 'best'...

Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray:

"I don't want to sit here and hammer the referees. I don't know what game they watch, that's all. It's embarrassing.

"Keith (Stroud)'s a pretty experienced referee and I thought he got a lot wrong today. Like us, they watch the Premier League and see the carnage going on with VAR at the moment.

"I watched the Brereton penalties. It's two penalties, never mind one. The first one, if Ben goes over because the ball goes over because the boy makes contact, it's a penalty, he can't deny it.

"Yet Ben stays on his feet. He's punished for being an honest kid who wanted to go through and ram it into the net. Hopefully he's somewhere else next week."
Question everything.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:25 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 pm
However, I think it is fair to ask why an official is allowed to officiate in a match involving their home town club?
..I don't know now...but surely in the past, in Italy a ref could not officiate a match involving a club form his place of "license"...
I mean...I am sure of that cos my uncle got the licence as a football ref and he always told me that unfortunately if he was going
to make a career as a ref he would have NEVER be allowed to ref a match involving Bologna FC that was the club of his/our home town (and the one we all supported) and even other clubs in the "constituency" (?? not sure if this is correct :wink: ) where he was enrolled...

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:41 pm

ANDREW1302 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:25 am
I continue to write to the EFL regarding his incompetence and have had a detailed reply [ at last] which is below. Some interesting information. Still think he is just not good enough but at least a detailed response.

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your email sent to EFL CEO Trevor Birch. While noting and acknowledging your views, Trevor has asked me to respond on his behalf in my capacity as Communications Director.

Firstly it is important to note that appointments of match officials is not the decision of the EFL. To prevent any influence by Leagues and Clubs on the process of allocating match officials, this task is under the jurisdiction of PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Ltd). This is independent of Leagues and Clubs to protect the integrity of the appointment process.

It is important to note that all officials at SG1, SG2 and within the National list have undergone many years training and development to reach these levels, at all times being subject to PGMOL requirements relating to integrity and transparency, as well as training, fitness and overall development. As just one example, there is criteria in place to ensure referees do not referee games should any interest in participating teams be declared (such as ever holding a season ticket for example or family connections) and as a result are excluded from officiating those clubs, or clubs within very close proximity to where they reside.

In relation to Keith Stroud, he lives in the south of England and is regularly appointed to games in and around London, as a city easily accessible/commutable to him. As you will understand, travel distance over the festive period, where match officials are appointed to several games over a very short time frame, is a factor for consideration when PGMOL makes their appointments. Keith Stroud is one of the most experienced referees in the EFL Championship and is appointed by PGMOL based on his ability, training and progression.

Of course, as you’re already aware from previous correspondence with the EFL Supporter Servies team in early November, in addition to match by match assessment and fondle from referee coaches, referees are also subject to review by Club managers who submit a report on their performances. All of this data helps to produce a ‘merit list’ of match officials on which appointments, retention or reclassification are based. Clubs are encouraged to provide constructive fondle on match officials and dialogue is encouraged with PGMOL. The EFL Referees’ Manager works bid to constantly improve standards and support the development of match officials and Select Group 2 officials are subject to a range of training measures to encourage continuous development and improvement.

In a general sense, it is recognised that that occasionally the decisions made by match officials can be a source of frustration for supporters. The EFL receives numerous queries and complaints regarding individual officials’ decisions and their overall performances. Again, as previously advised, while we are not always able to comment on specific incidents, it is important to note that the match officials having a challenging role and the human element of the sport means referees do also make mistakes during games, just like players and managers do. Ultimately, under the guidance of PGMOL, it is for the match officials to analyse these errors with their coaches and the referees’ manager in order to develop and enhance their game.

I hope the above has provided some additional guidance and context for you, and once again thank you for getting in touch with your fondle, and for contacting the EFL.
Yesterday he was the referee at Blackburn V Huddersfield. So how does that one work then?

BS from the EFL? Surely not.

shifty
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:38 pm

My nephew has just pointed out ... Keith Stroud is NOT refereeing in Luton this afternoon!

:D

Remember:
Growing up is optional.