Just saying ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9630
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Just saying ...

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Tonight was our 20th game of the season.

We have won TEN of them.

UR's!
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
Danish Ranger
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger
Posts: 1012
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Just saying ...

Post by Danish Ranger » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:41 am

.... the first third of the season has exceeded my expectations - by far :D

5th in the Championship and a decent cup run aniclap

Long may it continue !

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Exeter

Re: Just saying ...

Post by Devonranger » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:14 am

And that cup run should still be continuing - I like the irony of the authorities stinging us for the FFP aspect but when it comes to their representatives costing us valid income, we have to suffer the loss with no compensation other than a letter of consolation ...

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5028
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Just saying ...

Post by Montag » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:17 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:14 am
And that cup run should still be continuing - I like the irony of the authorities stinging us for the FFP aspect but when it comes to their representatives costing us valid income, we have to suffer the loss with no compensation other than a letter of consolation ...
Agree 100%. Multi £billion industry where people with power are completely unaccountable - bit like politicians.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10605
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Just saying ...

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm

If clubs were to start seeking financial redress every time an official made a poor match-altering decision, football would soon be played out in the courts and the game would grind to a halt in no time at all. The only winners would be lawyers.

As for FFP, the club demonstrably overspent and broke the rules over a period of years. I don't see how anyone can compare that to a single decision made by an official in the heat of the moment, however annoying we may find it.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9630
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Just saying ...

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:44 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:29 pm
If clubs were to start seeking financial redress every time an official made a poor match-altering decision, football would soon be played out in the courts and the game would grind to a halt in no time at all. The only winners would be lawyers.

As for FFP, the club demonstrably overspent and broke the rules over a period of years. I don't see how anyone can compare that to a single decision made by an official in the heat of the moment, however annoying we may find it.

Absolutely right. The reality is ... poor decisions/ human error are part and parcel of the game. Referees/ linesmen (not bowing to the PC brigade) have been making poor decisions ever since there have been Referees and linesmen.

This one was small potatoes compared to some that have occurred.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4066
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Just saying ...

Post by Satch » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:04 pm

Montag wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Devonranger wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:14 am
And that cup run should still be continuing - I like the irony of the authorities stinging us for the FFP aspect but when it comes to their representatives costing us valid income, we have to suffer the loss with no compensation other than a letter of consolation ...
Agree 100%. Multi £billion industry where people with power are completely unaccountable - bit like politicians.
Well they've tried to improve accountability with VAR and i don't know anyone who doesn't think it's shit. People make mistakes, Keepers give away easy chances (watch Luthe's for Union Berlin last night), Strikers miss sitters, Midfielders miss tackles and officials make baffling decisions because they're completely fallable. What's the actual solution, compensation for each pribbling idle-headed giglet up? suspending play on the 84th minute for months of litigation? It's been going on forever and is part of the game. We wouldn't cared if we'd been on the right side of it. As UxR says, we willfully broke the rules to gain an advantage and thought we could get away with it, fighting it to the bitter end. We deserved a punishment even if you rightly think it's a rediculous system that's poorly administered.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9630
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Just saying ...

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:05 pm

Satch wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:04 pm
Montag wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Devonranger wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:14 am
And that cup run should still be continuing - I like the irony of the authorities stinging us for the FFP aspect but when it comes to their representatives costing us valid income, we have to suffer the loss with no compensation other than a letter of consolation ...
Agree 100%. Multi £billion industry where people with power are completely unaccountable - bit like politicians.
Well they've tried to improve accountability with VAR and i don't know anyone who doesn't think it's shit. People make mistakes, Keepers give away easy chances (watch Luthe's for Union Berlin last night), Strikers miss sitters, Midfielders miss tackles and officials make baffling decisions because they're completely fallable. What's the actual solution, compensation for each pribbling idle-headed giglet up? suspending play on the 84th minute for months of litigation? It's been going on forever and is part of the game. We wouldn't cared if we'd been on the right side of it. As UxR says, we willfully broke the rules to gain an advantage and thought we could get away with it, fighting it to the bitter end. We deserved a punishment even if you rightly think it's a rediculous system that's poorly administered.
One of my observations about football is it's not good at learning from other sports.

For example, in rugby the game ends when the ball goes dead. In football the referee decides when to blow (its not as if the timing of a football match is an exact science). How often does the ref blow as a team is on the attack needing an equaliser, or worse as they have a shot. Why not introduce that in football? It costs nothing, and can be instigated across the world whether you are playing at Old Trafford or on the rec.

VAR ... in cricket the captain has two referrals to the equivalent of VAR - if you're right you keep it, if you are wrong you lose it. That would work in football, and would improve how VAR works.

When the Carabau Cup gets to the semi-final stage there will be VAR. For the integrity of the competition it's either used from the first match to the last or not at all. As not everyone has the tech ... it should not be used.

Just my thoughts.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Post Reply