Referee / offside

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

archer101

Referee / offside

Post by archer101 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 pm

For those who were not at the match:

The goal was scored. We all looked at the linesman. He had his flag firmly down. It was down for at least five seconds after the goal, which is why the celebrations were going on so long.

The referee (who I was looking right at) was nowhere near the play. He started talking into his headset, clearly trying to tell the linesman he was wrong. Eventually, the flag went up.

There is no excuse for the referee's behaviour. None. He had no better view of the action. If he wanted to overrule the linesman and call offside, he should have done it himself. He has no right to intimidate the linesman to change his decision.

It was no great surprise to see he was well onside.

The referee should be suspended. Of course, nothing will be done.

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Referee / offside

Post by Montag » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:43 pm

Just seen it. Funny how in 1976 a bloke could score against us despite being 20 yards offside and cost us the title yet this happens.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 pm

Investigate the ref. The club needs to make an official complaint.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 pm

archer101

Post by archer101 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:13 pm

Montag wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 pm
Investigate the ref. The club needs to make an official complaint.
If there was a conspiracy, judging by the way we took the penalties, we were in on it!

archer101

Post by archer101 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:23 pm

Not to mention the handball...
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 12.21.15 am 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:01 am

The ref and lino are incompetent not crooked....

Looking at the full footage if VAR was in operation at the start of the move Dykes I think comes from an offside position and passes the ball, a Sunderland defender heads the ball to him, not sure if that could be mitigating and plays him onside....

Not convinced the lino flagged for that

The goalie and the defender both play Albert and Charlie onside and the defender spread himself like a goalie and should have been a penalty in my eyes that it hit his arm before Charlie headed in the net....

No doubt we'll get an apology letter from the referees association in due course but it's gone...

Good luck to Sunderland, we weren't good enough however it's not even November yet so we have lots to play for....

We still have attain 55 points to ensure championship football next season

Onwards and upwards....
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:01 am
The ref and lino are incompetent not crooked....

Looking at the full footage if VAR was in operation at the start of the move Dykes I think comes from an offside position and passes the ball, a Sunderland defender heads the ball to him, not sure if that could be mitigating and plays him onside....

Not convinced the lino flagged for that

The goalie and the defender both play Albert and Charlie onside and the defender spread himself like a goalie and should have been a penalty in my eyes that it hit his arm before Charlie headed in the net....

No doubt we'll get an apology letter from the referees association in due course but it's gone...

Good luck to Sunderland, we weren't good enough however it's not even November yet so we have lots to play for....

We still have attain 55 points to ensure championship football next season

Onwards and upwards....
“Looking at the full footage if VAR was in operation at the start of the move Dykes I think comes from an offside position and passes the ball, a Sunderland defender heads the ball to him, not sure if that could be mitigating and plays him onside....”

That does play him onside. I was not aware of this change until recently and maybe the linesman was not. It was discussed on Match of the Day recently

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:56 am

For my sins I'm a (very low level) qualified ref and did Sunday Morning football prior to the pandemic, rule changes (some minor) happen every season, if the opposistion header played Dykes on side....

Nowt wrong with the goal in my eyes, Keith Stroud and his linesman have dropped a clanger on the par of his career defining Newcastle penalty fiasco a few years ago that got him demoted from the premier league list

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Incompetent? Impossible to actually know the answer because only the ref knows what was in his head and why he made that decision if as suggested he overruled the lino. The only certainty is that it was a very poor decision indeed and one that will deprive our club of a large piece of revenue. Frankly in an industry worth billions it is shameful and as the OP suggested he should be suspended. Either you can do the job or you can't. But he's probably saved us an arse shredding in the QFs.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:56 pm

Montag wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:11 pm
Incompetent? Impossible to actually know the answer because only the ref knows what was in his head and why he made that decision if as suggested he overruled the lino. The only certainty is that it was a very poor decision indeed and one that will deprive our club of a large piece of revenue. Frankly in an industry worth billions it is shameful and as the OP suggested he should be suspended. Either you can do the job or you can't. But he's probably saved us an arse shredding in the QFs.
As I wrote there is a notorious clip on YouTube of Stroud where he awarded an indirect free kick against Newcastle when they scored a penalty against Burton Albion for encroachment.... the pundits on sky sports were bewildered and he was dropped from premier league duties

The offside rule keeps being tinkered with and goalies rushing out can create an offside as you then need TWO outfield players in front of the attacker...

the black cat keeper made a save rather than rushed out, so in my eyes the defender behind him played both on side... the hand ball in front of Albert should have been a penalty.... who knows Charlie may have scored that one....

Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:52 pm

All good points SG. There is another angle to be considered: Referees have their own conscious or subconscious prejudices. The anorak in me couldn't help looking at the QPR matches that Stroud has been involved in as ref, ass ref or 4th off. since 13/14 season. If I've calculated properly then they run like this: QPR PL35- W9 D5 L21. Only a stat but an interesting one. A few years ago, I met a former professional ref who is now running his own business. Nice guy, we chatted for quite a while about football then he asked me who I supported. I saw his face drop when I said 'QPR'. I was left wondering if the proximity of the fans to the pitch makes life very difficult for refs at QPR and sometimes they retaliate against us with decisions designed to upset us. I know all fans think the ref is against them but we really have had our share of shit decisions. I thought last nights lino really didn't want to put that flag up by the look on his face.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:51 am

I was wondering if the Lino was intimidated by the Sunderland players appealing en masse. Only two appealed immediately then everyone joined in even the player playing us onside.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:14 am

Any linesman who's intimidated by players putting their hands in the air is really in the wrong job.

An appalling decision, but as SG says, I think it's incompetence rather malice. How Keith Stroud is still a professional referee is one of life's unending mysteries.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?