Match Thread: Peterborough United v Queens Park Rangers FC

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: Match Thread: Peterborough United v Queens Park Rangers FC

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Our defence is leaking too many goals but I don't think our attack minded midfield setup offers that defence much protection especially against pace.

Just been listening to Mark Warburton's post match interview where he talks about Sam McCallum having to come off with tight hamstrings, keeping our shape and Peterborough's habit of scoring late in games. Perhaps a more pragmatic approach is needed towards the end of games where we ensure we get a point rather than nothing. Bringing Willock on for McCallum is also a strange one with Kakay and de Wijs on the bench.

Peterborough away is a three pointer for a potential play off team so a very disappointing day.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:26 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 pm
Our defence is leaking too many goals but I don't think our attack minded midfield setup offers that defence much protection especially against pace.

Just been listening to Mark Warburton's post match interview where he talks about Sam McCallum having to come off with tight hamstrings, keeping our shape and Peterborough's habit of scoring late in games. Perhaps a more pragmatic approach is needed towards the end of games where we ensure we get a point rather than nothing. Bringing Willock on for McCallum is also a strange one with Kakay and de Wijs on the bench.

Peterborough away is a three pointer for a potential play off team so a very disappointing day.

Our record there isn't great ... we have only won once there since the 1960's.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:40 pm

and that victory was a cup game or is that league only? I have definitely seen us win there. Favourite game was Danny Shittu’s debut though.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:40 pm
and that victory was a cup game or is that league only? I have definitely seen us win there. Favourite game was Danny Shittu’s debut though.
Didn't he get sent off?
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:14 pm

A little harshly yes but he made a very good impression on everyone apart from Dave Thomas who was very underwhelmed on the night. 😂

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm

Rbee wrote:

Undoubtedly a very disappointing day. We had a lot of possession again, but created little in the way of clear-cut chances. The final ball was too often poor, particularly from wide areas. Even our goal was a bit of a fluke really. Our wing backs, pretty much whoever plays, are generally good going forwards, but vulnerable defensively. Adomah got in some great positions going forward, but his lack of defensive awareness was exposed more than once. He made a couple of great saving tackles to get himself out of trouble, but was finally caught out for their first goal. Going forward, he was always a threat and got in some great positions, but his crossing was unusually poor.

We're clearly a very attack-minded team, and I'm happy with that, as I'd always rather win 3-2 than 1-0. Of course, there is a balance to be struck, and we've come unstuck a few times recently at the end of games, chasing three points rather than settling for one. In the last few seasons we probably would have settled for a point in those games, as staying up seemed to be the primary goal. If we're going to make the play-offs though, I think we will need to take risks against the likes of Bristol City at home and Peterborough away, so I can understand the thinking there. Not so at West Brom, where a point would have been a good result, and Barbet bombing on in the 88th minute was poor decision making.

Four defeats on the spin away from home is clearly a concern, even if three of them were against the best sides in the division. Our home form is very good and that''s bailing us out and keeping us in the mix for now. Forest will be a tough test for us on Friday, especially as they don't have the distraction of a Cup game three days earlier.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:04 pm
Rbee wrote:

Undoubtedly a very disappointing day. We had a lot of possession again, but created little in the way of clear-cut chances. The final ball was too often poor, particularly from wide areas. Even our goal was a bit of a fluke really. Our wing backs, pretty much whoever plays, are generally good going forwards, but vulnerable defensively. Adomah got in some great positions going forward, but his lack of defensive awareness was exposed more than once. He made a couple of great saving tackles to get himself out of trouble, but was finally caught out for their first goal. Going forward, he was always a threat and got in some great positions, but his crossing was unusually poor.

We're clearly a very attack-minded team, and I'm happy with that, as I'd always rather win 3-2 than 1-0. Of course, there is a balance to be struck, and we've come unstuck a few times recently at the end of games, chasing three points rather than settling for one. In the last few seasons we probably would have settled for a point in those games, as staying up seemed to be the primary goal. If we're going to make the play-offs though, I think we will need to take risks against the likes of Bristol City at home and Peterborough away, so I can understand the thinking there. Not so at West Brom, where a point would have been a good result, and Barbet bombing on in the 88th minute was poor decision making.

Four defeats on the spin away from home is clearly a concern, even if three of them were against the best sides in the division. Our home form is very good and that''s bailing us out and keeping us in the mix for now. Forest will be a tough test for us on Friday, especially as they don't have the distraction of a Cup game three days earlier.
A very balanced and objective assessment. aniclap
Question everything.