What a terrible day ...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: What a terrible day ...

Post by Systemsguy » Mon May 31, 2021 9:23 am

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:57 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:01 pm
I think we have to look on yesterday as a spur to get our backsides into gear for on pitch success,
watching a bus stop in Hounslow overtake you is a massive wake up call.
Brentford's owner is 100% committed to the club, intelligent and has managed to get them two promotions and a new ground in the short time he's been there.

Our owners only ever treat the club like a sideline and our chairman was appointed because of who he is married to. Sadly I don't see the professionalism or drive necessary to get us where we need to go.

Summed up for me by Hoos thinking that sticking kids in the Loft will create the QPR supporters of the future. Not while we have days like Saturday - we're the fourth best team in West London but at least we can contest that with the Fools this season.
Like night follows day, Albert returns....

The only difference being the club had no participation or interest in the events of Saturday.....

I see you stole my forth best club in West London line as you pour scorn on the valiant efforts made by QPR to finally run the club within its means....

Lot of Brentford and Chelsea shirts will be worn over the summer in West London but thankfully I'm exiled in North London these days (Totnum's new stadium is surreal compared to the KPFS!)

I'm proud of our clubs achievements especially #longlivetheprince and our sterling community work ....

We are where we are, we may or may not sign Charlie and Johansen.... I hope we do but am realistic enough to realise our financial situation next season looks brighter with or without them....

Let's enjoy the summer..... I won't be posting much unless we have anything notable to comment on such as squad additions or transfers...

So ttfn for now!
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 am

Our scenario is so different to Brentford's on so many levels.and certainly Chelsea's - the club partly followed the Chelsea way of spending when we went up and the club lost sight of its true identity.

If the likes of Winston Reid and Ghoddos represent successful and intuitive scouting of players, then I will forever follow the words of Sky without question. A few other players who have not really made the grade and flashing £10million plus on Ivan Toney who had top scored in the division below is hardly ground breaking in knowledgeable recruitment.

The current set up with Rangers is one I am truly proud of - look forward to how the coaching set up develops the existing squad further and the next recruitment of players to add to this. Would be great to see both Austin and Johansen return but just as exciting to see if they can locate someone else like the quality and potential of Rob Dickie in another position. Will we see another youth player come through the ranks, be it an academy player of our own or a player released by another club that we have managed to develop further?

Any of this as opposed to having a money sucker like Havertz giving it the big one in the CL final despite hoovering up she'd loads of wages for absolutely no return prior to that.

You Rrrrrrrrrrs aniclap

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am

Systemsguy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:23 am
I'm proud of our clubs achievements especially #longlivetheprince and our sterling community work ....
Sorry System, I want us to be successful on the pitch as well, off the pitch, yes the right noises
are being made but we aren't a branch of social services or pushing a Darby & Joan ethic.
Staff Benda Bilili

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Mon May 31, 2021 11:49 am

Last season was so much better than the season before though. If we made the same improvement next season it’ll be an outstanding one.

I must say, when we went through that terrible run in the first half of the season I was worried we were never going to improve, but the club and warburton did an amazing job in turning it around. The new signings were obviously vital.

It’s a sickener what happened on Saturday but at least we’re quietly going about our business and improving. It’s not often we have the luxury of saying that as Rangers fans, so we may as well enjoy it!

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Mon May 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am
Systemsguy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:23 am
Sorry System, I want us to be successful on the pitch as well, off the pitch, yes the right noises
are being made but we aren't a branch of social services or pushing a Darby & Joan ethic.
Sorry and I willingly will take a ban but bilious doghearted flirt-gill you....

I'm exceedingly proud of our efforts off the field... we have taken stands against racism, knife crime etc etc

If you want success on the field without truly earning it, please feel free to follow those fairweather fans who pull on the shirts of the trophy winners...
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Mon May 31, 2021 1:19 pm

You misunderstand me Systems, I love the stance taken on knife crime, racism and an ethical approach to management.
I do remember the days of Paladini, Briatore and the poisoned troll.

I just think we can do more on the ethical front if we're more successful on the pitch.
We will have earned it - that's a given in my book. Warburton's doing a fine job
and if we are promoted this time next year it will have been purely down to hard work.

I saw loads of mercenaries in blue shirts Saturday night and I have no interest in quick fixes
or dodgy business gymnastics to get where they appear to be.
Staff Benda Bilili

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon May 31, 2021 2:09 pm

Devonranger wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:00 pm
Agreed re Canos - still remember Mbeumo conning the ref at LR - Jansson is an accident waiting to happen - if he starts in the Premier League they will have some real problems.

I also think our "model" differs to theirs - how many youth products or youth players released from othe clubs do they have in and around their first team and how many players of theirs cost transfer fees? I would say pretty much all of their starting 11 cost transfer fees.

It probably the depiction by the likes of Sky and media that gets the goat. Although Thomas Frank is more than mildly annoying ....
Yes, it's a different model. They closed their academy in 2016, as they felt the restrictions imposed by the EPPP no longer made the investment worthwhile, so they don't have youth players working their way up to the first team. But so what ? There's no innate virtue in the way we're trying to do things. You want something that's financially sustainable and generates success on the field. They're able to pay £10M for Ivan Toney now after years of paying a couple of million for the likes of Maupay, Konsa, Watkins, Benhahma et al and selling them on for 5 / 10 / 15 times their original investment.

We sold Eze for £15M and invested £7M or so in players to improve the team, which it did. The challenge is to keep repeating that year on year, if we can, although that's a big ask. If we get to a point where we can afford to pay out a bit more to get us into the top six and maybe the PL, I doubt anyone will be complaining.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon May 31, 2021 4:13 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:
I think we have to look on yesterday as a spur to get our backsides into gear for on pitch success,
Brentford's owner is 100% committed to the club, intelligent and has managed to get them two promotions and a new ground in the short time he's been there.

Our owners only ever treat the club like a sideline and our chairman was appointed because of who he is married to. Sadly I don't see the professionalism or drive necessary to get us where we need to go.

Summed up for me by Hoos thinking that sticking kids in the Loft will create the QPR supporters of the future. Not while we have days like Saturday - we're the fourth best team in West London but at least we can contest that with the Fools this season.
Every silver lining has a cloud eh, Albert ?
We have reason for optimism regarding the upcoming season that has been absent for some years. As for being fourth in the West London stakes, Chelsea and Fulham were historically “bigger” than us and even Brentford were bigger than us when I first supported the Rs, having just been in the top flight pre and post war.
We've punched above our weight for most of the time that I've supported and look as if we may have better things ahead soon.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Mon May 31, 2021 6:57 pm

Albert Steptoe wrote:
Andy_N19 wrote:

Welcome back Albert.

I'm glad you have recovered / been released / escaped. These being the only reasons I can think of to explain your return after so many months away.

Good to see your negative take on all things QPR hasn't changed though.

While you have been away we missed your pithy and incite-full take on ...

A really positive transfer window in January which saw among other things the return of Charlie Austin
Charlie's return saw him quickly pass the 50 goals mark for the club.
Seven away victories including Cardiff, Watford (who got promoted), Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Swansea.
Eight home victories including beating your favourite and now Premier League - Brentford.

So, a real shame you were indisposed.

Oh well, there is always next season.

:wink:
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.