A lesson for younger R's

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: A lesson for younger R's

Post by 222gers » Tue May 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 pm
Really interesting seeing you West London guys reminiscing about the schools around there,
I'm an East-Ender, but the other day Robert Elms (Rangers fan of course) mentioned on his show that
working class west London has almost disappeared.

Is this true? Or is it only retained purely by fans of Fulham, Rangers and that lot on the Kings Road?

By the way, the blue collar East End is alive and kicking for better or for worse :roll:
West London is a mixed bag. Our saintly borough of Hammersmith that of course is home to the Rs, has well-heeled areas like St Peters Square, Brook Green and Brackenbury Village but less salubrious areas and hasn't got the character it once had.
I've just been to HQ to renew my ST and the amount of shops and businesses that have closed is depressing. The Adelaide pub has closed but others still open but sadly with few lunchtime punters.
There is a little vinyl record shop/cafe just opened more or less at the junction of Loftus Rd and Uxbridge Rd that I will explore next time.
Heigh Ho.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm

I grew up Kensal Rise when it was really quite working class. It's trendy nouveau riche/middle class these days.

Some years ago I was delighted to discover the road I lived at, Clifford Gardens, was built where the National Athletics Ground once was, which is where QPR played between 1899-1901 and 1902-1904.

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 pm

I recently saw an old film Steptoe & Son Ride Again (1973) which depicted a run-down, poverty stricken Shepherds Bush
and Kensal Rise. But by the time I went to my 1st R's match (1979) West London always felt more relaxed and more monied
than West Ham where I grew up.

You didn't have numerous chemical factories, docks and an area dissected by 2 large rivers. Am always shocked when I visit Fulham
which was a craphole in the 1970's but is now one of the best neighbourhoods in London!
Staff Benda Bilili

bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by bigbobb » Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm

Sorry but this made me laugh
West Kensington IS middle class.....
Shepherds Bush is NOT West Kensington despite the money men trying to redefine it as such.

It takes me back to a friend who lived in Notting Hill Gate but always told people who didn't know any better that she lived in North Kensington.

:lol:
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 pm

bigbobb wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm
Sorry but this made me laugh
West Kensington IS middle class.....
Shepherds Bush is NOT West Kensington despite the money men trying to redefine it as such.

It takes me back to a friend who lived in Notting Hill Gate but always told people who didn't know any better that she lived in North Kensington.

:lol:
West Kensington used to be very grand indeed. Then in the latter stages of WW2, the Germans, knowing the jig was up, launched Operaton Steinbock. This was to throw everything into an indiscrimnate bombing raid on London with all the bombs they could muster. West Kensington was badly hit. The Gwendwr Tennis Club was destroyed and the owner bequeathed the land to the local council with the proviso that it be laid out as a memorial garden in tribute to those that lost their lives.
Further damage to the area came when Cromwell Road was turned into a motorway in the sixties.
My granddad on leaving the army rented a large house in West Ken for about two bob a week. I still walk past it sometimes. It would fetch 2-3 million easily these days.

Systemsguy
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Systemsguy » Sat May 29, 2021 9:08 pm

and that my friends is why you gloat when the final whistle of the final match is blown....

So endth the lesson as we are now officially the fourth best side in the West of London....
2021/2022.... Keep Calm, no matter the season, we'll follow our team.....