Charlie Austin

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Would you sign Austin permanently

Poll ended at Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Sign him up
88%
We can do better
13%

Total votes: 8

karateelvis
Logo Designer
Logo Designer

Charlie Austin

Post by karateelvis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:26 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on signing Austin permanently? I was really happy when he signed him on loan, but I'm questioning now whether it would be a good idea to sign him permanently - taking age & wages into consideration. Just wondered what everyone else thought.
"Every dog has its day, and today is woof day! Today I just want to bark!"

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by QPR-NI » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm

If we can afford him, all day long.

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Subject to cost it is a yes from me

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm

..as it has been already said...yes if we can afford him....he is an experienced striker, very good at this level....then our 2021 good form coincided with his - and Johansen - arrival...and then I also wonder if he had anything to do with Lyndon's recent improvement ....if he taught him some secrets as they trained together.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 pm

It all feels moot without knowing the financials, if there was the choice i'd rather see us spend money on Johansen. That said, having been wary of this signing i do think he's given the place a boost and still knows where the net is. The squad definitely needs goals so I'd be happy to see him here next season for sure but wouldn't want us to spend a fortune in achieving that, given how tight resources are, his age and lack of resale value.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 am

If our resources, staying within the confines of FFP, were stretched by signing Austin then how would we feel about selling Dieng to accommodate him and maybe Johansen?

I would consider it.

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by n22hoop » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:04 am

This is a tricky one. Charlie will want a 2-3 year contract to sign. I do think we need him next season as he will continue to score but also help develop Dykes into the 20 a season striker we hope he becomes (and his current form suggests he can become). Begs the question, would we want Charlie beyond next season if Lyndon continues to develop? I suspect not and that makes Charlie a bit of a luxury we can't afford.
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 pm

There's a picture of Charlie, Amit, Mackie and another chap (who I feel like I should probably recognize) playing golf. Seems to be enjoying his time here.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:15 pm

He seems to have some mates at the club but he's still got to be practical. He's had a couple of good contracts now so he may feel he's in a position to enjoy his football, which might be with us or he might feel to reach the financial goals he's set (which i appreciate might seem astronomical to most of us) he should take the best deal on the table which probably wouldn't be us. I wouldn't begrudge him choosing the latter but i imagine most will feel otherwise.

Rbee wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 am
If our resources, staying within the confines of FFP, were stretched by signing Austin then how would we feel about selling Dieng to accommodate him and maybe Johansen?

I would consider it.
It's a flat no from me. I think Dieng has been as integral to our league position (POTY for me) as the other two so we would need to replace him with similar quality which isn't going to be something we can afford to do with anyone proven. In addition, we're having to build a sustainable model, so selling a young player before their value peaks which imo would be the case with Dieng this summer, and replacing him with two expensive players with no future resale value is an issue. I don't think it's even close to giving us a very good chance of promotion so economically unjustifiable.