Match Thread : Queens Park Rangers vs Norwich City

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Match Thread : Queens Park Rangers vs Norwich City

Post by Damien » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 pm
Gentlemen, just let it go....

I know Andy, I know. The scars are just too deep I'm afraid :wink: Just musing though, that knowing QPR, we would have beaten Norwich, and fail to beat Leeds in 76... and that would have made me hang myself on Shepherds Bush Green ! Did I tell anyone I give this subject a lot of thought? :wink:

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:27 pm

I must have watched a different game - Norwich are comfortably the best team we've played this season, and they were on it today.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:36 pm

Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 pm
Gentlemen, just let it go....

Do you remember '76?
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:59 pm
Had we played our strongest eleven for the duration we would have come away wiith a positive result. Norwich were good but not that good.
Austin aside, that pretty much was our strongest eleven, wasn’t it ?

Even then, we’ve barely missed him in the last three games, and it’s unlikely he’ll be here next season anyway. Personally I’d have been happy to see a more experimental line-up, given we had nothing to play for.
IMHO Austin's omission from the starting line-up was a mistake as was the selection of Thomas as CM (previously mentioned by DM). Let's face it, Austin could and should have equalised with that free header. I appreciate that Austin is very unlikely to be part of our future plans but surely MW should have selected a man for whom we're probably paying a pretty penny and who is Premiership class against a team of Norwich's obvious capability (Incidentally, Austin was the fourth highest Premiership scorer in our 2014 - 2015 relegation season). I felt we needed the guile and experience of Charlie & Albert earlier in proceedings. Anyway, I simply can't abide any defeat to that lot and consequently I can't subscribe to the 'nothing to play for' perspective. You're probably right in your comments regarding selection of a more experimental line-up and maybe we will see that for Stoke & Luton.
Question everything.

WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by WA Hoop » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 am

Hanuhoff wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:50 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:44 pm
Flattering score line, MW to blame.
Can't agree. We give a good account of ourselves against comfortably the best team in the division when we have nothing left to play for. They deserve their win but take away Seny's uncharacteristic mistake, score the penalty (against an absolute pen expert let's not forget) and it's a different game.
I don't disagree, we did indeed give a good account of ourselves. Seny's uncharacteristic mistake and a particularly sloppy passage of playing out from the back cost us two goals, so from that perspective it was flattering...although we were somewhat fortunate that Pukki didn't have his shooting boots on!
Question everything.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 am

It was a nothing match for us so I wonder if it might have been a different team and tactics if it had mattered. The thing that disappointed me most was Dykes penalty miss. I've always been a head in the hands type when we have a penalty but I thought in Dykes it was as near as possible a certainty. Hitting the ball the way he did it really did not matter whether it was down the middle or not. Saturdays penalty was down the middle but along the ground and weak. I wonder was it just a mistake or was he trying a different method.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:59 pm
Had we played our strongest eleven for the duration we would have come away wiith a positive result. Norwich were good but not that good.
Austin aside, that pretty much was our strongest eleven, wasn’t it ?

Even then, we’ve barely missed him in the last three games, and it’s unlikely he’ll be here next season anyway. Personally I’d have been happy to see a more experimental line-up, given we had nothing to play for.
IMHO Austin's omission from the starting line-up was a mistake as was the selection of Thomas as CM (previously mentioned by DM). Let's face it, Austin could and should have equalised with that free header. I appreciate that Austin is very unlikely to be part of our future plans but surely MW should have selected a man for whom we're probably paying a pretty penny and who is Premiership class against a team of Norwich's obvious capability (Incidentally, Austin was the fourth highest Premiership scorer in our 2014 - 2015 relegation season). I felt we needed the guile and experience of Charlie & Albert earlier in proceedings. Anyway, I simply can't abide any defeat to that lot and consequently I can't subscribe to the 'nothing to play for' perspective. You're probably right in your comments regarding selection of a more experimental line-up and maybe we will see that for Stoke & Luton.
Who do you drop for Austin then?

Thomas is indeed an experiment but quite an interesting one, worth more to us than the grudge against those pricks. None the less you can hardly accuse MW of playing a weak team.

It was a mixed day and we shot out ourselves in the foot but they've been the best team in this division all season and still have the title to play for, it was always going to be a tough game. I hate losing but in context it's hardly the worst day anyone would think we were on an awful slide rather than one of the best teams in the division right now.
QPR_John wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:44 am
It was a nothing match for us so I wonder if it might have been a different team and tactics if it had mattered. The thing that disappointed me most was Dykes penalty miss. I've always been a head in the hands type when we have a penalty but I thought in Dykes it was as near as possible a certainty. Hitting the ball the way he did it really did not matter whether it was down the middle or not. Saturdays penalty was down the middle but along the ground and weak. I wonder was it just a mistake or was he trying a different method.
Players miss penalties, it happens all the time, other than the odd freak like Shearer 20 /30% isn't unusual if you look at players like Messi and Pirlo. I don't think we need to get too concerned about it, especially against Krul who's an excellent keeper against them. The main thing is he still notched one from open play to keep his confidence up.
W12Allstars wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 pm
Rbee wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:34 pm
Don't forget years of the uber wanker Grant Holt as well!
I'd like to throw Paul Lambert in there too. Always particularly unnecessary during Faurlingate...
He was a complete flipping prick during that. Even Cardiff didn't pipe up. Some tosser on here was singing his praises a while back as a gentleman, possibly one of the most enraging posts i've seen on here.
Andy_N19 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Which is why I'm glad we're not going up, we'd be mullered every week.
Full backs aren't good, age of the team needs lowering and much more pace needed.
You make it sound like we aren't on our best run of form in yeas?

Kakay needs time, Wallace has been excellent since the turn of the year. It's not an old side by any stretch either, a lot of young players, we've actually looked better for the bit of guile and experience in the side over the last few months. I'd always take extra pace but it usually comes at a premium that's out of our budget if you want the other attributes with it.

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm

Norwich are the best team in the league and at times we matched them yesterday. Individual errors were costly but overall a valuable experience for some of our younger players.

Far more bewildering is the 3-1 loss at Rotherham especially as they have lost all four games since.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm
Norwich are the best team in the league and at times we matched them yesterday. Individual errors were costly but overall a valuable experience for some of our younger players.

Far more bewildering is the 3-1 loss at Rotherham especially as they have lost all four games since.
The inconsistent form of various teams this season is probably at least in part, due to fatigue. With the international breaks exacerbating the situation there are just too many games crammed into too short a time.
Also I wonder if teams have to travel long distances on the day of the game whereas in previous seasons they would have spent the eve of the game in a hotel.

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:06 am

Rbee wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm

I thought the best performance was Barnsley's, but Norwich felt like a fundamentally better side, if that makes sense. We were good for a point when we played Norwich before. Our team is a work in progress. I hope we can challenge for the playoffs next year but I am not too perturbed about losing one of two games against the best team in the division.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am

Satch wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm
W12Allstars wrote:
Rbee wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:34 pm
Don't forget years of the uber wanker Grant Holt as well!
I'd like to throw Paul Lambert in there too. Always particularly unnecessary during Faurlingate...
He was a complete flipping prick during that. Even Cardiff didn't pipe up. Some tosser on here was singing his praises a while back as a gentleman, possibly one of the most enraging posts i've seen on here.
Was it T-Block on this thread https://qprdot.org/phpbb3mb/viewtopic.p ... ul+Lambert ?

He's not posted in over a year now. Did he pay that tenner in the end or did you have to have him whacked :lol:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:32 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am
Satch wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm
W12Allstars wrote:

Was it T-Block on this thread https://qprdot.org/phpbb3mb/viewtopic.p ... ul+Lambert ?

He's not posted in over a year now. Did he pay that tenner in the end or did you have to have him whacked :lol:
Sometimes you have to send a message out.

Interesting that you also remembered that comment! No he never did cough up, which is poor form, assuming he's not completely skint, in which case i'd feel pretty bad. I gave him the chance to donate it to Stan's charity rather one of my choosing. Maybe he just hates charity! (maybe i shouldn't assume it's a bloke either).