QPR and the European Super League

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: QPR and the European Super League

Post by Wegerle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm

It might sound strange but this is the reason I love us being in the Championship. Of course QPR-Chelsea and QPR-LIverpool sounds more exciting than QPR-Rotherham or QPR-Barnsley but I would take the latter every week if it meant we kept our soul and stayed the family club we are.
I shall never forget the Mark Hughes era when I nearly fell out of love with the club.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 pm
It might sound strange but this is the reason I love us being in the Championship. Of course QPR-Chelsea and QPR-LIverpool sounds more exciting than QPR-Rotherham or QPR-Barnsley but I would take the latter every week if it meant we kept our soul and stayed the family club we are.
I shall never forget the Mark Hughes era when I nearly fell out of love with the club.
Harry Redknapp & Barton nearly did for me. Hughes was arrogant and incompetent but the other two were flat out toxic for QPR.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:52 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:27 pm
Wegerle wrote:
Harry Redknapp & Barton nearly did for me. Hughes was arrogant and incompetent but the other two were flat out toxic for QPR.
Two cheeks of the same arse for me. I dislike the former more in general. That said i'm not sure maintaining our identity and success need to be mutually exclusive, i hope we're slowly doing it the right way.

This is an absolute shambles of an idea. Such a lack of self-awareness, neutrals want to see these teams lose. The best PL in years was when Leicester won it and everyone i know likes to see the small clubs dish out bloody noses in the CL.

I agree that the governing bodies need to show they mean business. If it were up to me:

10 year CL ban for those 12 clubs. 7 years suspended providing they never play in the actual thing.

PL and FA ban from all domestic competition for one year and a loss of all TV revenue for 2. This penalty doubles for every ESL tournament entered.

I’ll happily watch an asterisked season or two and see some other clubs get their names on trophies. I don't think players contracted to these teams should be banned from international competition but any player who accepts a move to one of them is fair game.

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:47 pm

Wegerle wrote:
I much prefer the Championship to the Barnum & Bailey world of the Prem. I know the concensus is getting promotion to stabilise finances as Norwich have done, move to a new stadium etc. But subjectively the Prem would be a nightmare for me. VAR, silly Sky kickoff times, refs in thrall to famous players and so on.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am
Boot them out and make damn sure when they come crawling back, that they start at the bottom of the ladder.

Call their bluff.
I don't want them back. The sooner they go the better as far as I'm concerned. They can take Celtic and Rangers with them as well. Might revive some interest in football outside of QPR for me...or maybe not. We need a Class War to bring down the 1% of the world who seemingly own and run everything.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:54 pm

Wegerle wrote:
Not strange at all Wegs. As long as we are winning more than we lose...I don't mind being in the Championship. Football lost me long before we got back in the Premier League. One without the gobshite 12, would make me dream again.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 pm

..me too, I prefer the Championship to the Premier that I saw in the last years ....as you probably know I leave home at 5 in the morning, drive to the airport, get a flight - in all weather conditions, even storms :wink: :wink: - stay in West London the whole day and fly back to enter my home at around midnight....so quite a busy - and expensive - day ....so if I arrive back satisfied and happy as it happens most of the times when we play in this league I am fine and spurred to keep on doing this....but when we were in the Premier and lost so often...too often...I arrived back disappointed and annoyed... shouting in the airport parking..."Why in the hell am I doing this...??!!!!!!!!!!!" :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So unless we could be back where we were in the 80s with a good team to be in the PL I really prefer this dimension....(for the moment)

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am

To be honest I have been slowly losing interest in football for several years now and all this Super League crap simply accelerates that. I enjoyed British teams doing well in Europe but that will go out of the window now.

Once my Sky deal runs out I won’t renew, everyone else can pay Pogba’s salary!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 am

Rbee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 am
To be honest I have been slowly losing interest in football for several years now and all this Super League crap simply accelerates that. I enjoyed British teams doing well in Europe but that will go out of the window now.

Once my Sky deal runs out I won’t renew, everyone else can pay Pogba’s salary!
I know how you feel Rbee. I absolutely hate the way football has developed since I first fell in love with the game many, many years ago. For me, the camaraderie I have with my QPR buddies is a crucial part of my football experience. Without that, I'd find it difficult to keep connected.

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 am

...I heard my mates down in Italy and could only get negative words and reactions about this project, even from fans of Inter (that now could be stripped of the title that they are winning, after years and years... :lol: )

Then I read more about Agnelli and how the UEFA chairman Ceferin is surprised by his lies...Surprised...?? He is Juventus, well known to cheat and lie :roll: :roll:

This extract from the news, words by Ceferin... ..."sorpreso e disgustato Andrea Agnelli e dal suo comportamento. Ci eravamo sentiti sabato e mi aveva detto che le voci sulla Superlega che circolavano erano solo voci. Poi ha spento il telefono". Surprised and disgusted by Andrea Agnelli and his behaviour. We had talked last Saturday and he had told me that the rumours about the SuperLeague were only rumours. Then he turned is phone off...." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 pm

After booting out the teams from the local leagues, I’d up the ante and make a rule that any players who played in the breakaway league, would be banned from playing for anyone else, for say, two years after they leave the super league.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:56 pm

Setting aside tradition for a moment, I don't see anything wrong with the move. Sport evolves, demand changes.

It's seems inevitable that a super league will happen. Just don't expect your cake and eat it- Breakaway if you want to, but make it a complete break.

Domestic football will survive in some shape or other.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:02 pm

QPR-NI wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:27 pm
After booting out the teams from the local leagues, I’d up the ante and make a rule that any players who played in the breakaway league, would be banned from playing for anyone else, for say, two years after they leave the super league.
:lol:

Maybe going a bit too far. If you give players fair warning that they will be banned from international duty it will make the ESL less attractive to them. Without the top players they wont be top teams and they'll be less attractive to TV money. And with very few fans inside the massive stadiums this league will be shit will fall on its arse.

But now it takes football authorities with balls to make an example of these clubs.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:56 pm
... Just don't expect your cake and eat it...
That's a big part of the problem. The ESL and those behind it will not only want their cake to eat but everyone's cake to devour too. Capitalism always wants more.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm

dm wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm
BiscuitRanger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:56 pm
... Just don't expect your cake and eat it...
That's a big part of the problem. The ESL and those behind it will not only want their cake to eat but everyone's cake to devour too. Capitalism always wants more.
Epitomised by the old adage "The rich will never have enough and neither will the poor". :(
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.