The bizarre world of the championship

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

rtastic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

The bizarre world of the championship

Post by rtastic » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Fantastic that we are on a Great run long may it continue, it is puzzling know when you think how many points are team like Watford are ahead of us watching them twice this season against us they looked pretty mediocre. Whereas another side like Huddersfield Played some really slick football. I noticed today that they beat Swansea ,Just making the point that sometimes when you see the table it's bizarre to think that those teams are so far ahead of us. Just thought that when we played example Norwich their points tally is far in excess of ours But I didn't think they were that much better than us.
Oddly enough When we played Huddersfield I thought they was a pretty good side, Funny old game ...

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Re: The bizarre world of the championship

Post by 222gers » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:24 pm

rtastic wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:02 pm
Fantastic that we are on a Great run long may it continue, it is puzzling know when you think how many points are team like Watford are ahead of us watching them twice this season against us they looked pretty mediocre. Whereas another side like Huddersfield Played some really slick football. I noticed today that they beat Swansea ,Just making the point that sometimes when you see the table it's bizarre to think that those teams are so far ahead of us. Just thought that when we played example Norwich their points tally is far in excess of ours But I didn't think they were that much better than us.
Oddly enough When we played Huddersfield I thought they was a pretty good side, Funny old game ...
The standard of football in the Championship may not be of the highest, but its unpredictability is an attraction. Similarly, the refs are a motley crew but they're not as star-struck as the Premiership refs.
I'm happy enough in this division.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 am

yep, couldn't agree more. So much good to be said about The Championship, were it not for the poorer quality referee's I think we'd all buy into it.

I was brought up with my Dad saying, "we're better off at the top of Division 2 and easier on the eye than struggling in Division One"

Guess the year(s)?

about 1958-60....

I suppose things have moved on a bit from there, I really should be reflecting on more recent experiences !!

But if you look back on some good season's in the Championship they've been just that, good. Whereas in The Premiership you were always 1 game away from a stuffing. The one thing our club misses out on is a Cup heritage, we've never had one. I thought it was there v WBA and remember it vividly, Spurs final/replay of course - but as long as you have the like's of Holloway putting out a 3rd team in cup games we should be challenging in, well, I gave up then and nothing I see since has changed.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 am

yep, couldn't agree more. So much good to be said about The Championship, were it not for the poorer quality referee's I think we'd all buy into it.

I was brought up with my Dad saying, "we're better off at the top of Division 2 and easier on the eye than struggling in Division One"

Guess the year(s)?

about 1958-60....

I suppose things have moved on a bit from there, I really should be reflecting on more recent experiences !!

But if you look back on some good season's in the Championship they've been just that, good. Whereas in The Premiership you were always 1 game away from a stuffing. The one thing our club misses out on is a Cup heritage, we've never had one. I thought it was there v WBA and remember it vividly, Spurs final/replay of course - but as long as you have the like's of Holloway putting out a 3rd team in cup games we should be challenging in, well, I gave up then and nothing I see since has changed.
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:18 am

Stans left foot wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 am

Guess the year(s)?

about 1958-60....

You can throw into that, the Championship is a competition where just about anyone is in with a chance of getting promoted, and every year some supposedly bigger teams flirt with relegation. Compare that with the Premier League (Leicester's win aside) it will be one of four teams who win it, whereas the promoted clubs will do well to avoid relegation. Next season - it will almost certainly be won my one of ... Man C, Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea. The three promoted teams will probably struggle, with (if they survive this season) Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton, Brighton & Palace also in the mix. Everyone else - Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, and WHAM will potter around in mid table. Unless you are a fan of the big 4, what's the point?

Should by some fluke we get promoted anytime in the next 3-4 years, our number one priority should be to sort out our finances using the Sky bunce to do that.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.