A few thoughts on next season

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:50 am

old pauline wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 am
Far too early to be talking about next season. Teams down the bottom are picking up and we are not out of the woods yet. Maybe think about it when we reach the 45 point mark but until then I just want to think about what we need to do now.
Based on our existing PPG and comparing it to teams below and around us we should be fairly safe and end up with 50-54 points looking at our schedule. Birmingham and Rotherham look in a far worse position than us and it would take a miracle for Wycombe to turn it round at this stage. I am hopefully optimistic that we will start next season in the Championship and our immediate pre season will be filled with doubt about the upcoming season; it always is. :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:50 am
old pauline wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 am
Far too early to be talking about next season. Teams down the bottom are picking up and we are not out of the woods yet. Maybe think about it when we reach the 45 point mark but until then I just want to think about what we need to do now.
Based on our existing PPG and comparing it to teams below and around us we should be fairly safe and end up with 50-54 points looking at our schedule. Birmingham and Rotherham look in a far worse position than us and it would take a miracle for Wycombe to turn it round at this stage. I am hopefully optimistic that we will start next season in the Championship and our immediate pre season will be filled with doubt about the upcoming season; it always is. :D
Its really nip and tuck this season. I think teams are able to work each other out so much better these days (as Warburton has said) so its more likely that the teams at the bottom can pick up points at any time. Warburton seems quite pragmatic though so we should be OK. If we can stay in the Championship then I'm a bit more optimistic than others that we can go well next year with what we have plus one or two youngsters coming through.
Come on you Sooopa ........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:57 am
ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:30 am
dm wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:16 am
Our current loan players have been mentioned and I think we'll retain 2 of them next season.

Jordy de Wijs - Hull, and Sam Field - WBA, have both been brought in with a view to sign them permanently. That must mean Hull and WBA have already agreed they can leave at the end of this season. We've yet to see them play but the club must have done their homework on them and believe they're worth keeping. We should assume they'll be here next season.

With Stefan Johansen - Fulham, and Charlie Austin - WBA, there's no such arrangement. It's been stated that WBA can extend Austin's contract to 2022 and Johansen's contract lasts until 2022. It looks likely both clubs will be relegated so I'd have thought it quite possible their parent clubs will want to keep them. Also, as much as we'd like Austin to stay, his wages would be a problem for us. Johansen's wages are almost certain to be too high for us as well. I don't expect them to be here next season.
Surely, only if Charlie agrees to the extension though. It is an option at the end of his contract, but the thing about options is that usually both parties have to agree.
If both parties have to agree then there is little point in having an option. What is the point of a player agreeing to sign a contract with an option if the club can ignore said option.
The word 'option' suggests an extra year to be enacted or rejected at a later stage. However, I am not clear whether the option requires mutual agreement or is solely decided by the club. QPR's wording on contracts is usually "...and the club has an option to extend the contract to..." which suggests it's the club's call and not the player's.

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bwhoops » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:14 pm

A good explanation on options can be gained from the offish where on 28/10/20 the Club stated:

Young midfielder Faysal Bettache has committed his future to QPR by signing a new three-year contract. The 20-year-old will now remain in W12 until at least 2023, with the club also holding an extra year's option.

... and on 29/01/21 for Ilias Chair:

The club also have the option to extend the deal for a further year

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:01 pm
Thanks dm, interesting post.

Probably the biggest decision to be made is whether or not Warburton will still be our manager. His contract is up in the summer, and I've yet to hear any noises about him being offered an extension. I'd be happy for him to stay, but if he doesn't, his replacement should at least be somebody who wants to play in a similar style. We need to establish a firm identity for the team in the same way that Swansea, Brentford, Bournemouth and arguably even Barnsley and Coventry have for years now. Managerial appointments should be made to fit that, rather than everything being thrown up in the air whenever a new man comes in.

I agree with most of what you say about players moving on. I doubt we can afford Austin permanently, but the first half of the season proved we need one proven Championship striker at a minimum. I hope Dieng sticks around for at least another year, as a good keeper makes a huge difference to the whole defence. Dickie currently looks our most saleable asset to me. For all his ostensible trickery, Chair's lack of end product doesn't seem likely to persuade anyone to splash big money on him.

Bonne should just be moved on if we don't think he's up to this level. He's 25 with 200+ first team games under his belt, so loaning him out would just be delaying the inevitable. I think the fact that we're in the habit of loaning out players aged 23 and upwards is a bit of a failure of policy really. If they're not good enough at 21/22, we should be looking to get rid. You might get the odd one wrong, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb in my view.
I've just come across this Warburton interview in which he says it is not true his contract finishes at the end of this season: https://talksport.com/football/efl/832422/

“I keep reading that my contract expires at the end of the season – that’s absolute nonsense,” he explained.

“It’s just the media, it’s speculation. There’s no truth in that. Managers have different types of contracts now – be that target driven, incentive driven or what not.

“It can also just be a normal rolling contract which continues going on and on until you’re told otherwise.”

However, he doesn't clarify what his contract situation is with the club.

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:24 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:30 am
dm wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:16 am
Our current loan players have been mentioned and I think we'll retain 2 of them next season.

Jordy de Wijs - Hull, and Sam Field - WBA, have both been brought in with a view to sign them permanently. That must mean Hull and WBA have already agreed they can leave at the end of this season. We've yet to see them play but the club must have done their homework on them and believe they're worth keeping. We should assume they'll be here next season.

With Stefan Johansen - Fulham, and Charlie Austin - WBA, there's no such arrangement. It's been stated that WBA can extend Austin's contract to 2022 and Johansen's contract lasts until 2022. It looks likely both clubs will be relegated so I'd have thought it quite possible their parent clubs will want to keep them. Also, as much as we'd like Austin to stay, his wages would be a problem for us. Johansen's wages are almost certain to be too high for us as well. I don't expect them to be here next season.
Surely, only if Charlie agrees to the extension though. It is an option at the end of his contract, but the thing about options is that usually both parties have to agree.
I'm pretty sure that in the recent Open All Rs podcast, Austin said that his time was up at West Brom this summer.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:43 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 pm
UxbridgeR wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:01 pm
Thanks dm, interesting post.

Probably the biggest decision to be made is whether or not Warburton will still be our manager. His contract is up in the summer, and I've yet to hear any noises about him being offered an extension. I'd be happy for him to stay, but if he doesn't, his replacement should at least be somebody who wants to play in a similar style. We need to establish a firm identity for the team in the same way that Swansea, Brentford, Bournemouth and arguably even Barnsley and Coventry have for years now. Managerial appointments should be made to fit that, rather than everything being thrown up in the air whenever a new man comes in.

I agree with most of what you say about players moving on. I doubt we can afford Austin permanently, but the first half of the season proved we need one proven Championship striker at a minimum. I hope Dieng sticks around for at least another year, as a good keeper makes a huge difference to the whole defence. Dickie currently looks our most saleable asset to me. For all his ostensible trickery, Chair's lack of end product doesn't seem likely to persuade anyone to splash big money on him.

Bonne should just be moved on if we don't think he's up to this level. He's 25 with 200+ first team games under his belt, so loaning him out would just be delaying the inevitable. I think the fact that we're in the habit of loaning out players aged 23 and upwards is a bit of a failure of policy really. If they're not good enough at 21/22, we should be looking to get rid. You might get the odd one wrong, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb in my view.
I've just come across this Warburton interview in which he says it is not true his contract finishes at the end of this season: https://talksport.com/football/efl/832422/

“I keep reading that my contract expires at the end of the season – that’s absolute nonsense,” he explained.

“It’s just the media, it’s speculation. There’s no truth in that. Managers have different types of contracts now – be that target driven, incentive driven or what not.

“It can also just be a normal rolling contract which continues going on and on until you’re told otherwise.”

However, he doesn't clarify what his contract situation is with the club.
Yes, I saw that too. It was widely reported that he signed a two year deal when he took over, and I’ve seen nothing about any extension since then. if he has a rolling contract, I don’t see why the club wouldn’t just say so.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:32 am

I get the suspicion that the club have decided to adopt a policy of letting the fans know as little as possible after the abuse that TF used to get and the less they release, the less there is for the shitstains to beat them with.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:11 pm

I wonder if he and the club can't agree on an extension whether he'll leave himself out on matchdays :wink:
Come on you Sooopa ........

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:07 pm

A further thought for next season on which of our current central midfield players will remain.

We currently have Dominic Ball, Faysal Bettache, Geoff Cameron (sort of), Tom Carroll (injured), Charlie Owens (injured), Luke Amos (injured), Stefan Johansen (loan), and Sam Field (loan). It may depend on whether we keep with 3412 or revert to 4231, but it's obvious we can't have 8 CMs in the squad.

I'd expect Cameron and Owens to depart with their contracts expiring and Johansen to return to Fulham. That would be a bit tough on Owens who has been highly thought of but plagued with injuries and is yet to return to action. Johansen is a great player but he's contracted at Fulham to 2022 and no doubt on high wages.

That would leave us with Sam Field (assuming signed on a perm), Dominic Ball, Tom Carroll, Luke Amos and Faysal Bettache to compete for the CM slots. There may be a lack of experience with some which, as we've seen this season, can be a problem. However, if Carroll is a fixture he's got years under his belt.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm

here is also Amrit Bansul-McNulty to consider and possibly Nathan Carlyle.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm
I think of ABM as more a no 10 similar to Chair.

Carlyle is a CB even though shown as a midfielder on the offish. He's played at CB for the last 6 U23 games.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 pm

We have/we've had some cracking names in our squad. Glad I'm not a commentator. Only now I've learnt to spell Taarabt and pronounce it properly. (There I got Adels name in another post :D - wish he was still here.)

Apropos of nada, I'm reminded of an old friend of mine, who left our research group to go back home to Namibia. I had the pleasure of buying his leaving present... An English soccer jersey with his name on the back... Majority Kwawambwa... Even to this day I still dont know if I got it right but he really liked it - was also a very good midfielder; at least for the uni team!!
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:35 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm
I think of ABM as more a no 10 similar to Chair.

Carlyle is a CB even though shown as a midfielder on the offish. He's played at CB for the last 6 U23 games.
He reminds me of a Geoff Cameron style replacement when the time comes. Agree about AB-M as a Chair type player.

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Think Geoff is probably consigned to the back 3 now - if Field signs permanently we would have Field, Ball, Bettache, Carroll, Amos - not a bad combination - maybe supported with another experienced loan if required at the time.