A few thoughts on next season

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 am

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by bwhoops » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 pm

dm wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:07 pm
A further thought for next season on which of our current central midfield players will remain.

We currently have Dominic Ball, Faysal Bettache, Geoff Cameron (sort of), Tom Carroll (injured), Charlie Owens (injured), Luke Amos (injured), Stefan Johansen (loan), and Sam Field (loan). It may depend on whether we keep with 3412 or revert to 4231, but it's obvious we can't have 8 CMs in the squad.

I'd expect Cameron and Owens to depart with their contracts expiring and Johansen to return to Fulham. That would be a bit tough on Owens who has been highly thought of but plagued with injuries and is yet to return to action. Johansen is a great player but he's contracted at Fulham to 2022 and no doubt on high wages.

That would leave us with Sam Field (assuming signed on a perm), Dominic Ball, Tom Carroll, Luke Amos and Faysal Bettache to compete for the CM slots. There may be a lack of experience with some which, as we've seen this season, can be a problem. However, if Carroll is a fixture he's got years under his belt.

I think that Owens will likely be offered a one year contract with the club having an option for a further year. That will allow the club and player to further explore his potential and he can’t be costing too much.

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13924
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by dm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:52 am

bwhoops wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:05 pm
dm wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:07 pm
A further thought for next season on which of our current central midfield players will remain.

We currently have Dominic Ball, Faysal Bettache, Geoff Cameron (sort of), Tom Carroll (injured), Charlie Owens (injured), Luke Amos (injured), Stefan Johansen (loan), and Sam Field (loan). It may depend on whether we keep with 3412 or revert to 4231, but it's obvious we can't have 8 CMs in the squad.

I'd expect Cameron and Owens to depart with their contracts expiring and Johansen to return to Fulham. That would be a bit tough on Owens who has been highly thought of but plagued with injuries and is yet to return to action. Johansen is a great player but he's contracted at Fulham to 2022 and no doubt on high wages.

That would leave us with Sam Field (assuming signed on a perm), Dominic Ball, Tom Carroll, Luke Amos and Faysal Bettache to compete for the CM slots. There may be a lack of experience with some which, as we've seen this season, can be a problem. However, if Carroll is a fixture he's got years under his belt.

I think that Owens will likely be offered a one year contract with the club having an option for a further year. That will allow the club and player to further explore his potential and he can’t be costing too much.
Yes, that's possible. My reasoning was that we have too many DCMs even with Cameron and Johansen departing. Ball, Amos, Bettache, and even both Carroll and Field play from deep. Owens hasn't played for two years and is obviously injury prone. If he could be sent out on loan next season that would be good but convincing a club to take him would be difficult.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by old pauline » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 am

I think we have seen this season that you need an all-action CDM so I hope Field and Ball between them can do that because I am sure that Johansen will be integral to Fulham's plans if they go down - which is looking quite likely.

However, I think we have seen this season that what happens up front is even more important - and again, I think West Brom will want to have Charlie if they go down next season - which is looking highly likely.

If we want to challenge we either need one of Bonne, Dykes or Kelman to be counted on to get 20 goals for us and I can't see that happening with any of those three. So I think loaning another experienced replacement striker is going to be key.

What do people think ?
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13924
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by dm » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:31 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 am
I think we have seen this season that you need an all-action CDM so I hope Field and Ball between them can do that because I am sure that Johansen will be integral to Fulham's plans if they go down - which is looking quite likely.

However, I think we have seen this season that what happens up front is even more important - and again, I think West Brom will want to have Charlie if they go down next season - which is looking highly likely.

If we want to challenge we either need one of Bonne, Dykes or Kelman to be counted on to get 20 goals for us and I can't see that happening with any of those three. So I think loaning another experienced replacement striker is going to be key.

What do people think ?
I agree. I can't see us being able to hold onto Austin next season and we'll need an experienced striker to replace him.

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:22 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 am
If we want to challenge we either need one of Bonne, Dykes or Kelman to be counted on to get 20 goals for us and I can't see that happening with any of those three.
If Bonne and Dykes were decent strikers we'd be playoff candidates for sure, a serious worry is if those 2 were
hired then have "management" learnt that pace and remedial technical ability is necessary?

Bonne doesn't have a 1st touch, his positioning is poor.
Dykes's miss against Fulham summed him up, how can you be a striker and score no goals?
Kelman is raw and not played so I can't say much about him although he's looked lively once on the pitch.
Staff Benda Bilili

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by old pauline » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:56 pm

We have no money so I am prepared to cut the club some slack for taking a punt on those three. We were linked to other strikers who are more predatory but they were obviously offered better money and went elsewhere. Not much we can do about that.

Plus we've bought two other young strikers in in the U.23's so we are obviously trying to address the issue. Just one other loan in the Charlie Austin/Glenn Murray mould would suffice.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: A few thoughts on next season

Post by Andy_N19 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:04 pm

old pauline wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:56 pm
We have no money so I am prepared to cut the club some slack for taking a punt on those three. We were linked to other strikers who are more predatory but they were obviously offered better money and went elsewhere. Not much we can do about that.

Plus we've bought two other young strikers in in the U.23's so we are obviously trying to address the issue. Just one other loan in the Charlie Austin/Glenn Murray mould would suffice.
I get that we have no money but surely it's obvious that the basics aren't there with Bonne or Dykes,
I'll say again that Kelman is an unknown quantity as to if he makes the grade.

Saying all that Dykes may score a hat-trick today and make me eat my words... somehow I don't
think that'll happen.
Staff Benda Bilili

Post Reply