Sobering arithmetic

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Sobering arithmetic

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 am

Over the last 10 years, sixth place in the Championship has been secured by an average of 74 points (note that the range was 68-80).
We are currently on 30 points, with 20 games left to play. Once or twice recently, fans on message boards have talked of the play-offs. But, what would we have to do to get to 74 points (which may or may not be enough)?
We would need another 44 points - an average of 2.2 points per game. That might look like 12 wins, eight draws and no defeats. If we lost a game (I still remember Norwich away in 1976) it might look like 13 wins, six draws and one defeat, i.e. another 45 points.

I should be doing something else...
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Sobering arithmetic

Post by Montag » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:40 am

It's highly unlikely we'd make it now - more likely to be sucked in and blown out the other side to league 1 (I don't think this will happen). But with QPR you can always expect the unexpected. I wouldn't put it past this side to go on a blistering run and end up playing in an empty Wembley come May.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

stainesranger
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainesranger » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:04 pm

If that happens it’ll be one of the most amazing seasons most of us can remember!

222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm

I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be playing in any division other than the Championship next season.
There was a time I'd dream of promotion like all fans. Now, I'd dread playing in the Premiership with VAR, the prima donna players and the refs with stars in their eyes.
The Championship for all its faults, is fine with me.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 pm

We are absolutely NOT equipped for the Premier League.

Southampton lost 9-0 last night - that would be us!

While the finances would be great, as long as we learnt lessons from last time, the experience of getting thrashed every week would not be good for our young players. Sheffield United obliged by taking one of our unwanted records this season, I really don't want us to take it back.

If we finished comfortably in mid table this season, maybe 10-12 points above the drop zone, I would be more than happy.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

carrotstick
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm

If we finish out of the bottom 3 I would be grateful. Our relegation battle is far from over.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:28 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 pm

While the finances would be great, as long as we learnt lessons from last time, the experience of getting thrashed every week would not be good for our young players. Sheffield United obliged by taking one of our unwanted records this season, I really don't want us to take it back.

If we finished comfortably in mid table this season, maybe 10-12 points above the drop zone, I would be more than happy.
Southampton were down to 10 men after 2 minutes

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

carrotstick wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm
If we finish out of the bottom 3 I would be grateful. Our relegation battle is far from over.
I think we'll be fine. Not wanting to wish ill will on anyone, but I suspect just as last season administration and the 12 point penalty it brings will be a factor for some clubs. Already some are struggling to pay their players, take overs are stalling and all the time, there are no paying customers.

Having said that, if we can improve our home form, I see a group of clubs currently sitting just ahead of us, who we could easily overtake. Cardiff, Huddersfield, Millwall and Luton for starters.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:35 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:28 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:06 pm

Southampton were down to 10 men after 2 minutes
I know. VAR would have a field day with Geoff Cameron and Dominic Ball, so the point remains, I think we would get well beaten most weeks.

Remember:
Growing up is optional.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Anyone who was talking about us making the play-offs definitely needs sobering up to be fair :oops:
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

kernowhoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by kernowhoop » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:57 pm

The challenge for the club is a) avoid the drop and having done that b) keep the rest of the season interesting.
If and when we get to the stage where it is unlikely that we shall go down, we know from experience that, somehow, the team thinks that nothing matters any more and we suffer a string of defeats. That is bad for the fans and bad for the players, too.
It's simple. Score more goals than they do.

bwhoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by bwhoops » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:22 pm

I would take promotion just for the parachute payments. Furthermore, if I was the manager / chairman, I would publicly state it along with the fact that we had no intention of trying to compete and we were just going to stick with our Championship players or other Championship purchases. Bring on the relegation and bring us the money!!!

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Giorgio » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:13 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm
I think it's pretty unlikely we'll be playing in any division other than the Championship next season.
There was a time I'd dream of promotion like all fans. Now, I'd dread playing in the Premiership with VAR, the prima donna players and the refs with stars in their eyes.
The Championship for all its faults, is fine with me.
...as much I would love to play in the top flyer...I can't forget the depressing mood of the last couple of season we were there....losing...and losing...
so..unless we can have a real option to establish there on a secure base, meaning a safe healthy club that can afford spending the tons of £ needed to survive...I too prefer to enjoy the Championship

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:33 pm

Would love us to take a shot at premier league with our current policy but we would need to be a few stages on to make it count in that division.

Recruitment and transfer policy needs to be on point and remain fresh and current to compete with the money thrown up there.

We had a real chance when we went up - Charlie, Adel, Remy gave us a starting point offensively but needed to recruit some bright young talent in midfield and defensively with a couple of wise heads instead of what we ended up with ....

Progress this season would be avoid relegation and try and match/improve on last years league position.