Just back on the Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just back on the Island...

Post by SM » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Just going to report on a slightly different aspect of the game today.

To summarize had Blackstock (who did nothing wrong with this finishing) taken the couple of chances he had, i have no doubt we would be discussing another very handsome/comfortable home win. This game could have gone either way, and with some very very unfortunate circumstances added to some extremely poor decisions it went Derby's way.

Having said that, the only real players who could come out with any pride were Rowlands (MOM), Stewart and Fitz Hall. Lee Cook looked excellent when he came on, but didn't have enough time to make an impact.

Just commenting though on the boards dealings with matters at QPR. A few things today were crystal clear. Before stating this, i would just like to say (before im shot down) that i am in full support, and realize that we probably wouldn't be having this discussion had they not came in and saved us.

BUT - Flavio has openly said about the value of the £30 a week supporter, and who knows maybe he does have a point. After all, what is £30 a week in the grand scheme of things?! Well today it really showed just how much that supporter means not just to QPR, but to football as a whole. Here we are after years of darkness etc, we have been on a terrific run, just knocked Aston Villa a top Premiership side out of the cup, and now been drawn away to MANCHESTER UNITED with a below average Derby side at home... any other season we would have been on cloud 9.

But even after all that there was a funny atmosphere around Loftus Road today. The people around me who usually SING SING SING for the full 90 minutes, well they were almost reluctant to cheer the team on. Personally i feel it made a huge difference. Coming off the back of a busy schedule, and a fair few away games - the players would have understandably been worn out anyway, and needed that extra 10/15% the fans can give them, but it just didn't happen.

To top it off, as Derby sang about QPR as being 'Greedy B*******' the Rangers fans turned and applauded them before chanting "£50 your 'aving a laugh!!"

All this just made for a very frustrating day, as this game was winnable and could have really kept ourselves in touch with the top.

Plenty of twists and turns coming up, but i really think the board has shot themselves in the foot here :?
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

ROOKEY 10
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by ROOKEY 10 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 pm

What did you think of Parejo today?

Romford Hoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Romford Hoop » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Top post, we went into the game after a great cup win and having won all 4 league and cup games at home, take away the 1000 or so derby fans and that means only 13 thousand odd Rangers fans turned up on a sunny and warm day, Why !!!!!.

Over to you Mr Russell and the board I wonder if you can guess the answer !

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:46 pm

ROOKEY 10 wrote:What did you think of Parejo today?
Romford hoop - completely agree with you.

As for Parejo ROOKEY, i have to say he had a poor game. I don't agree with what people say about his attitude though, and funnily enough we were talking about this on the way home. He tries very intricate little touches, and if it comes off - He's the best player alive, if it doesn't - it looks as if he can't be bothered.

I watched him closely today, and he was full of encouragement for everyone, and certainly cut out the complaining to the referee... not anywhere near as bad as he was before.

He will improve, and his heart is in it... i think he just needs time.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Romford Hoop wrote:Top post, we went into the game after a great cup win and having won all 4 league and cup games at home, take away the 1000 or so derby fans and that means only 13 thousand odd Rangers fans turned up on a sunny and warm day, Why !!!!!.

Over to you Mr Russell and the board I wonder if you can guess the answer !
Come on Romford, playing in front of a half empty ground is part of the strategy of helping the team get promoted. Isn't it obvious?

Bear-Grills
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Bear-Grills » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Not brilliant today, but generally quality. His passing looked more sh*t than anyone else's because he made about 75% more passes than anyone else. He was consistently finding space for himself and offered a passing opportunity to the others time, after time, after time. If they'd moved about as they should have done, Derby would have had a much harder job closing us down than they did, and we'd have had much more time and space to hurt them.

And for those who seem to reckon Parejo is not the real deal (although I accept that he should already be better than Pele and Maraddona at 19) I believe we will one day brag that we had him in our team when he was a rookie.

As for the people who booed him today.... :roll:

Rodney Harsh
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Rodney Harsh » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:31 pm

He tries very intricate little touches, and if it comes off - He's the best player alive, if it doesn't - it looks as if he can't be bothered.
Didn't go today myself (lifelong R priced out, scraping pennies for my Cat C bracket on tuesday) but what has struck me about Parejo is his unwillingness to follow up his intricacies by quickly injecting himself into attacking space, instead he drops off, almost slowing to a stop.

This 'waving the wand and sitting back' is classic playmaker stuff granted, but if he took up a willingness to integrate fully into the attacks he begins to create - adopting the style of say a Deco, whose movement is always geared to a pinpoint availability and momentum within an attack - he could take any defence apart, right to the end-product.

His movement is classy but very laid back, and it certainly can look like he isn't fully motivated, which indeed, when your team-mates have only half the passing ability you have, could very well be the case.

I'd like to see Dowie giving him more responsibility throughout the construction of attacks, telling him to perhaps conceive of himself as the centre, the originator and the finisher. If he got hungrier for the ball, and really wanted to haul an attack to its end point, there's no doubt he could become the best attacking player in this league by the season's close. It may just be a question of whether he wants to.

daniel
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by daniel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Excellent post SM. If only karma points still existed!!

South Devon R

Post by South Devon R » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Bear-Grills wrote:
Not brilliant today, but generally quality. His passing looked more sh*t than anyone else's because he made about 75% more passes than anyone else. He was consistently finding space for himself and offered a passing opportunity to the others time, after time, after time. If they'd moved about as they should have done, Derby would have had a much harder job closing us down than they did, and we'd have had much more time and space to hurt them.

And for those who seem to reckon Parejo is not the real deal (although I accept that he should already be better than Pele and Maraddona at 19) I believe we will one day brag that we had him in our team when he was a rookie.

As for the people who booed him today.... :roll:
Just Back myself - excellent post SM

As for Parejo thought he had a pretty good first half but looked tired and there's not covering he had a poor second. However I agree with BEAR he is something special and one we'll talk about in the future. He looked very frustrated at times particularly in the first half n with Cerny's distribution. Cerny was very frustrating, we have one of the best Midfield's in the championship so why did he keep kicking long and bypass them.
We looked good at times in the first half when Parejo had the nous to pick it up from Cerny and pass the ball through the midfield. but he did seem to switch off in the second after getting a few bad tackles, being bundled of the ball a couple of times and what he felt was a lack of protection off the Ref. I think he shouted something like Putra Madre at one point
which the spanish bloke I used to work with said when the had the hump with someone. My spanish aint too hot but it's something like you Mother F*&ker.

I also didn't get quite get why Parejo played very deep at times while Rolley was playing just behind Dex . thought it would have worked better if their roles had been switched or maybe played buzz behind Dex and Rolley out wide . Buzz looked totally out of it playing left wing and kept being drawn into the middle giving us no width and this played right into Derby's Game plan of stiffeling the midfied.

Having said that Derby worked very hard for what they got. Came with a game plan, stuck to it and got a result.
Hoops - Then, Now and Always

Rodney Harsh
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Rodney Harsh » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Nice post South Devon, and I should say SM too - keep up the reporting, it's a pleasure to read.
Cerny was very frustrating, we have one of the best Midfield's in the championship so why did he keep kicking long and bypass them.
That's bizarre, what's the reasoning there do you suppose? That targetman Dex knocks it back and we win the second ball? Seems an unlikely scenario. Hope it gets knocked on the head sharpish.
He did seem to switch off in the second after getting a few bad tackles, being bundled of the ball a couple of times and what he felt was a lack of protection off the Ref.
Is he coping with the physicality, and is he already getting heavily marked by bruisers? These two factors are going to be pretty key to his progression.