Just Back on the Island...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Just Back on the Island...

Post by SM » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Apologies for this late post, i got in from Sheffield yesterday and collapsed in bed :oops:

I won't bore everyone with details of the goals, as I'm sure we have all seen them.

But just a few points to mention, not only on the players but the fans also.

One thing that wasn't shown on the highlights was a disgusting tackle by Halford on Ladesma. Clearly lunged in with 2 feet, studs showing and easily could have broken his leg. Straight red no question at all!!

A few things that struck me about a few players today though:

My first point is that of Gorkss. I try to be as positive fan as possible, and no matter what will always give the players my 100% backing. But yesterday watching Gorkss scared the living life out of me. He had an absolutely shocking game! Time and time again a simple ball down the middle got the better of him, and Sharpe must have been laughing at how easy it was. Gorkss just didn't look comfortable at all IMO. Very very poor showing from him, and i hope that he improves drastically in the next game... he will need to!

Secondly it was Cerny. I know it can't do his confidence any good when some mindless idiots are chanting for Camp... but his performances haven't really inspired me, and he didn't do himself any favours yesterday either. It would be very harsh to blame him for either of the first 2 goals, as he had no support at all. But what on earth was he thinking with the 3rd goal?! His general play is what disappoints me though, seems to communicate with other players very rarely, and i just don't understand what he has done to justify starting over Lee Camp :?

One of the very few positives was that of Lee Cook. First half he showed a few glimpses of promise, but in the second half he really reminded all of us of what he is capable of. Running at people confidently, beating his man and putting superb crosses into the box. All of his pace, tricks returned and should Dexter (also had a good game) got in front of his marker would easily have scored a couple of goals. I think Dowie now has really seen how he can change a game though, well done Cookie.

As mentioned above i think Blackstock also had a good game. Linked up with the midfield well, and won an awful lot of headers. I would like to see him be more greedy in front of goal though, all too often we try to pass the ball into the net. Wish he would just be more ruthless and have a go more often.

Delaney was also very poor again. Not looking like the player of last season at all, maybe having the captains armband has put him under too much pressure? Looked very out of sorts to me.

Parejo is quite obviously a class above the rest. When certain players are like headless chickens, he is so composed on the ball - hits a beautiful pass and should be at a higher level. He has very quick feet, and from looking at him in the warm up - deadly from set plays. Can't wait to see more of him, but very difficult to gel with the squad yesterday.

That was everything that stuck out to me today, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people have made out. Yes we lost 1 game and didn't do an awful lot. But lets not forget we are playing away from home against one of the best sides in the league. I would much prefer us to concentrate on home form, and see what we can nick away from home.

The other thing to remember is that we are in the CHAMPIONSHIP, everyone beats everyone. Look at West Brom last year, the amount of times they just managed to edge past teams and get all 3 points. It is a very very tough league, but given time I'm sure our team will mix together and prove more competitive, i think we really missed Rowlands/Vine today.

Onto a very sour note though, was the behavior/attitude of some of our 'fans' yesterday.

One thing that is really bugging me is the constant chant of 'There's only one Lee Camp!' I completely agree with those people that are singing it, Lee Camp should be starting week in week out IMO. But what on earth must that make Cerny feel, when he has joined a new club/dropped down a division and all he has had is that!? Dowie picks who our number one should be NOT US. I don't see what good this will do at all.

The other thing that i heard yesterday was 'Your not fit to wear the shirt.' It was sung when Leigertwood came over to clap the fans. We are fast going to be come an absolute laughing stock if every time we lose a game people are going to start chanting that. I view that kind of this as a real insult to a player, and it is definitely not warranted after winning 2 games and losing just once.

Finally they decided to chant 'What a waste of money.' When i look at some of our signings - Lee Cook, Ladesma, Parejo (not something i would EVER have thought could happen) it baffles me to think people are not happy. We played a very poor game yesterday make no mistake, but some of these people are just unbelievable. They seem to think we have a divine right to walk over every team in this league whoever/wherever we play. And to think just a year ago we almost didn't even have a club to support :roll:

I would like to say that it was a minority of people that did this, and was no more than say 20 people... but very disappointing.

I'm fully behind Dowie though, and sure he will sort it out.

IAIN DOWIE'S BLUE ARMY!!!
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

BrummersQPR
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by BrummersQPR » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Well written that.

Agree on Dowie.

rblockells
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by rblockells » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:46 pm

great Safa,Report,

Sorry,great report Safa

The idiots who follow our club are a problem.

What can we do about it????
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not.Both ideas are overwhelming.

Swanleyhoop
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Swanleyhoop » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Agree 100% with what you say.
The day for me was notable for three of those things in particular:

1. Behaviour of certain of our so-called "fans". Half the time it's the booze talking, but some of the comment and chants about the team were crude, abusive and uncalled for. And fighting amongst themselves? Disgrace.

2. I feel sorry for Cerny, mainly because of the Camp chants -- his confidence must be shot to pieces. Will dropping him for Camp help that? Possibly not, but a keeper lacking confidence will lead to an increasingly jittery defence. Glad I don't have to make the decision on who plays next week.
Similarly, I hate the booing of players -- I wasn't exactly best pleased on the amount of money I shelled out for me, my two (young adult) children and my dad, but what exactly does booing achieve, other than kicking a man when he's down? And the response Legs got when he clapped us was awful -- a group of boozed up, aggressive and abusive blokes lashing out at one of the players who was probably amongst the hardest working yesterday.

3. Thanks, SM, for re-iterating what I've been saying about Cook since I got in last night. I think some people need to do a specific "Cookie watch", because there's been a few who seem to think he did nothing, whereas I felt he was really starting to fire up back to the Cook of old, and I was gutted when subbed. And if, as has been suggested on other MB's, he gets dropped for Rowly because ID isn't allowed to drop the likes of Ledesma or Parejo, it will be another disgrace, and very, very unfair.

BIG KEV
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Just Back on the Island...

Post by BIG KEV » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 pm

SM wrote:Apologies for this late post, i got in from Sheffield yesterday and collapsed in bed :oops:

I won't bore everyone with details of the goals, as I'm sure we have all seen them.

One thing that wasn't shown on the highlights was a disgusting tackle by Halford on Ladesma. Clearly lunged in with 2 feet, studs showing and easily could have broken his leg. Straight red no question at all!!

My first point is that of Gorkss. I try to be as positive fan as possible, and no matter what will always give the players my 100% backing. But yesterday watching Gorkss scared the living life out of me. He had an absolutely shocking game! Time and time again a simple ball down the middle got the better of him, and Sharpe must have been laughing at how easy it was. Gorkss just didn't look comfortable at all IMO. Very very poor showing from him, and i hope that he improves drastically in the next game... he will need to!

Secondly it was Cerny. I know it can't do his confidence any good when some mindless idiots are chanting for Camp... but his performances haven't really inspired me, and he didn't do himself any favours yesterday either. It would be very harsh to blame him for either of the first 2 goals, as he had no support at all. But what on earth was he thinking with the 3rd goal?! His general play is what disappoints me though, seems to communicate with other players very rarely, and i just don't understand what he has done to justify starting over Lee Camp :?

One of the very few positives was that of Lee Cook. First half he showed a few glimpses of promise, but in the second half he really reminded all of us of what he is capable of. Running at people confidently, beating his man and putting superb crosses into the box. All of his pace, tricks returned and should Dexter (also had a good game) got in front of his marker would easily have scored a couple of goals. I think Dowie now has really seen how he can change a game though, well done Cookie.

As mentioned above i think Blackstock also had a good game. Linked up with the midfield well, and won an awful lot of headers. I would like to see him be more greedy in front of goal though, all too often we try to pass the ball into the net. Wish he would just be more ruthless and have a go more often.

Delaney was also very poor again. Not looking like the player of last season at all, maybe having the captains armband has put him under too much pressure? Looked very out of sorts to me.

Parejo is quite obviously a class above the rest. When certain players are like headless chickens, he is so composed on the ball - hits a beautiful pass and should be at a higher level. He has very quick feet, and from looking at him in the warm up - deadly from set plays. Can't wait to see more of him, but very difficult to gel with the squad yesterday.

That was everything that stuck out to me today, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people have made out. Yes we lost 1 game and didn't do an awful lot. But lets not forget we are playing away from home against one of the best sides in the league. I would much prefer us to concentrate on home form, and see what we can nick away from home.

The other thing to remember is that we are in the CHAMPIONSHIP, everyone beats everyone. Look at West Brom last year, the amount of times they just managed to edge past teams and get all 3 points. It is a very very tough league, but given time I'm sure our team will mix together and prove more competitive, i think we really missed Rowlands/Vine today.

Onto a very sour note though, was the behavior/attitude of some of our 'fans' yesterday.

One thing that is really bugging me is the constant chant of 'There's only one Lee Camp!' I completely agree with those people that are singing it, Lee Camp should be starting week in week out IMO. But what on earth must that make Cerny feel, when he has joined a new club/dropped down a division and all he has had is that!? Dowie picks who our number one should be NOT US. I don't see what good this will do at all.

The other thing that i heard yesterday was 'Your not fit to wear the shirt.' It was sung when Leigertwood came over to clap the fans. We are fast going to be come an absolute laughing stock if every time we lose a game people are going to start chanting that. I view that kind of this as a real insult to a player, and it is definitely not warranted after winning 2 games and losing just once.

Finally they decided to chant 'What a waste of money.' When i look at some of our signings - Lee Cook, Ladesma, Parejo (not something i would EVER have thought could happen) it baffles me to think people are not happy. We played a very poor game yesterday make no mistake, but some of these people are just unbelievable. They seem to think we have a divine right to walk over every team in this league whoever/wherever we play. And to think just a year ago we almost didn't even have a club to support :roll:

I would like to say that it was a minority of people that did this, and was no more than say 20 people... but very disappointing.

Great post Safa. Unfortunately our fans have been like this for a fair few years now because they believe we have a divine right to be in the Premiership and if players don't match their aim by winning every single game then some are deemed 'not fit to wear he hoops', just ask Paul Furlong.
Glad you mentioned Cerny, as I think this guy has had a really raw deal so far and I believe the fans can take some of the blame for his performances so far, can't exactly do his confidence any good listening to the Camp songs and perhaps he is trying a little too hard to please, Dowie must rate him as did Spurs last season ! I like Camp but competition for places is good and it should make him a better keeper in the future.
I posted yesterday that we beat Stoke 3-0 last season and they went on to go up. No it wasn't a great display/result yesterday and we can't have too many like that but we have lost 1 game against a team we may well be battling out for a play off place.
It is a shame about the fans though and is one of the reasons I don't go as often as I use to, it just hasn't got the same feel to it as it use to and that is a real shame because exciting times are ahead for this club, without a doubt, I just hope the minority don't drive too many of us away, whilst we strive to get back there.
COME ON YOU R'SSSSSSSSSSSSS

Shemba Shemba
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Just Back on the Island...

Post by Shemba Shemba » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:21 pm

SM wrote:Apologies for this late post, i got in from Sheffield yesterday and collapsed in bed :oops:

aniclap

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Swanleyhoop - I agree with everything you say there. I was doing abit of a 'Cook watch' yesterday, and he really is looking a top player again. Everyone is free to their opinion, but i can't see how anyone can doubt his ability.

BIG KEV - I know what you mean about the fans attitude like that, it does put you off. I've been to a fair few games over the years, but i have never heard such unjustified chants towards our own team. At home, we are superb for supporting the players and getting behind them, and that is normally the case away from home as well, but something went very wrong yesterday. It left a bitter taste in my mouth (as a supporter) i can't think what impression it had on the players :?

rblockells - I've cut all of the reporting out now :lol:
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss