Charlie Austin

All topics allowed. Board rules apply.

Moderators: ZENITH R, qprdotorgadmin, nige101uk, willesdenr, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6016
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Charlie Austin

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:08 am

Hmmm, you might want to ignore the word 'quitting'. Sadly, maybe the A-League is Charlie's level these days

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... tting-qpr/
Question everything.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10790
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am

What would you compare the standard of the A-League to, WA ?

I guess it's a good move for him and his family in the sense that it's a chance to try life on the other side of the globe while his career winds down. Definitely not the option that someone who was keen to keep playing at the highest possible level would pursue though, which suggests we probably did the right thing by not taking up the option on his contract.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 5154
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by Giorgio » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am

...well....surely he was very good the second part of 2020/21 season after joining....pity that I could not watch him live....
then last season I was back to LR and watching him live and my opinion is that he was still good in the box but he did not run much any more....

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6016
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by WA Hoop » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am
What would you compare the standard of the A-League to, WA ?

I guess it's a good move for him and his family in the sense that it's a chance to try life on the other side of the globe while his career winds down. Definitely not the option that someone who was keen to keep playing at the highest possible level would pursue though, which suggests we probably did the right thing by not taking up the option on his contract.
Akin to League Two, sometimes League One at the very best? Although, his family will appreciate the lifestyle choice.
Question everything.

luke_mullet
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by luke_mullet » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Giorgio wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am
...well....surely he was very good the second part of 2020/21 season after joining....pity that I could not watch him live....
then last season I was back to LR and watching him live and my opinion is that he was still good in the box but he did not run much any more....
Agreed, his legs have completely gone but if you feed him the ball somewhere between the penalty spot and 6 yard box he's still lethal. I remember a game early in the season where the ball was played to him 30-40 yards from goal, if he had pace he would probably be 1 on 1 with the keeper but he just blasted it and it was miles off. The club made the right decision in letting him go.

User avatar
deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6017
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by deadendjob » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:08 pm

WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am
What would you compare the standard of the A-League to, WA ?

I guess it's a good move for him and his family in the sense that it's a chance to try life on the other side of the globe while his career winds down. Definitely not the option that someone who was keen to keep playing at the highest possible level would pursue though, which suggests we probably did the right thing by not taking up the option on his contract.
Akin to League Two, sometimes League One at the very best? Although, his family will appreciate the lifestyle choice.
Haha no way. League 2 players look class in the A-League. It's probably even a step down from there, so National League. There are a few who are league's above other's and move off to Europe, but even then, most of the time it's to smaller remote clubs. You can see from the clubs the players who make the Australian & New Zealand national teams, there's not a huge amount who break through. To be fair, the competition has improved massively in the past few seasons and Marquee players like Charlie have been helping the game for the most part.
Image

User avatar
WA Hoop
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6016
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by WA Hoop » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:24 am

deadendjob wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:08 pm
WA Hoop wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 am
UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:44 am
What would you compare the standard of the A-League to, WA ?

I guess it's a good move for him and his family in the sense that it's a chance to try life on the other side of the globe while his career winds down. Definitely not the option that someone who was keen to keep playing at the highest possible level would pursue though, which suggests we probably did the right thing by not taking up the option on his contract.
Akin to League Two, sometimes League One at the very best? Although, his family will appreciate the lifestyle choice.
Haha no way. League 2 players look class in the A-League. It's probably even a step down from there, so National League. There are a few who are league's above other's and move off to Europe, but even then, most of the time it's to smaller remote clubs. You can see from the clubs the players who make the Australian & New Zealand national teams, there's not a huge amount who break through. To be fair, the competition has improved massively in the past few seasons and Marquee players like Charlie have been helping the game for the most part.
OK DEJ, maybe I was trying to temper my derision of the A League and in so doing gave it more credit than it deserves?! :lol:
Question everything.

User avatar
Montag
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5217
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by Montag » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 am

Goals are always a problem for us because we can't afford decent strikers and our youth set up is incapable of producing anyone aside from the fluke Sterling. I think we should've kept him for a season on a reduced contract as an impact sub. I seem to recall that when he joined us the first time it was on the rebound from failing a medical at Hull due to a knee issue. I'm speculating, but I think he always carried that injury but managed to forge a great career despite that. He always seemed to be limping by the end of games even early on. If that's the case it makes you wonder what sort of player he could've been at full strength? I remember the last time we played Tossenham, he completely outshone Harry Kane. The club showed him a lot of disrespect at the end of the season and if we suffer a goal drought this coming season the decision to let him go may not look so sensible as some people think. Remember, he was iron-booted before the new manager was even appointed. So, non-football people made the call.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6827
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by QPR_John » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 am
Goals are always a problem for us because we can't afford decent strikers and our youth set up is incapable of producing anyone aside from the fluke Sterling. I think we should've kept him for a season on a reduced contract as an impact sub. I seem to recall that when he joined us the first time it was on the rebound from failing a medical at Hull due to a knee issue. I'm speculating, but I think he always carried that injury but managed to forge a great career despite that. He always seemed to be limping by the end of games even early on. If that's the case it makes you wonder what sort of player he could've been at full strength? I remember the last time we played Tossenham, he completely outshone Harry Kane. The club showed him a lot of disrespect at the end of the season and if we suffer a goal drought this coming season the decision to let him go may not look so sensible as some people think. Remember, he was iron-booted before the new manager was even appointed. So, non-football people made the call.
Maybe Austin was not prepared to accept a reduced contract.

User avatar
Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 5154
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by Giorgio » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:47 pm

Montag wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 am
Goals are always a problem for us because we can't afford decent strikers and our youth set up is incapable of producing anyone aside from the fluke Sterling.
....well...hopefully that young Irish guy Armstrong will flourish ...he has great potential, tough and strong.

Image
Last edited by Giorgio on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9758
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm

If we were looking for a back-up or even someone to lead the attack ... Andre Gray was the option.

Available - check!
Local - check!
Foot in the door from having been on loan - check!

Pace - check!
Skill & technique - check!
Right age - check!
Experience - check!

It seems he's talking to Preston now though.


:roll:
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

User avatar
bigbobb
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Chacombe, Nr Banbury

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by bigbobb » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:02 pm

ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm
If we were looking for a back-up or even someone to lead the attack ... Andre Gray was the option.

Available - check!
Local - check!
Foot in the door from having been on loan - check!

Pace - check!
Skill & technique - check!
Right age - check!
Experience - check!

It seems he's talking to Preston now though.


:roll:
Abilty to play consecutive games - health check! :(
:roll:
This time we'll get it right - just believe! :wink:

User avatar
ZENITH R
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9758
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: North Derbyshire

Re: Charlie Austin

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:58 am

bigbobb wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:02 pm
ZENITH R wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm
If we were looking for a back-up or even someone to lead the attack ... Andre Gray was the option.

Available - check!
Local - check!
Foot in the door from having been on loan - check!

Pace - check!
Skill & technique - check!
Right age - check!
Experience - check!

It seems he's talking to Preston now though.


:roll:
Abilty to play consecutive games - health check! :(
:roll:
Last season he missed 5 games with injury, Dykes missed 14, Charlie Austin missed 3.

Mark Warburton, clearly didn't have a preferred striker, as he chopped and changed between the three, and across the whole season there were only 28 games where one of them played the full 90 minutes. Austin 5 times, Gray 4 times and Dykes 19 times. The changes rarely had anything to do with injury. One thing I do know from watching football for over 50 years is that a settled strike force is more likely to score, than one that is constantly changing.

I was talking to one of my neighbours who is a season ticket holder at Forest. He said Warburton would make his first voluntary substitution on 60 minutes, and it was often the same player or one of a small group who got subbed. The decision seemed to have little to do with injury, form, or if the player was having a stinker. That seemed very familiar, because we saw exactly the same.

I liked Mark Warburton, but I think he was limited and a do it by numbers approach is never going to bring you the big prizes. I'm excited to see what Michael Beale brings to the table.

And as I've said before, Gray who spent a lot less time on the pitch last season than Dykes did, scored more goals.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Post Reply