Duke of Edinburgh

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Post Reply
User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4977
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Montag » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:06 am

Has died. :shock: End of an Era. RIP
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

User avatar
222gers
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 5428
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Location: LONDON

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by 222gers » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm

Yes, i'm an old codger and the Queen and the Duke have been there throughout my entire existence. Countless other famous people have come and gone in that time.
RIP. He was of cause famous for his ripostes - some a bit over the top, but that's him.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger
Posts: 6721
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by QPR_John » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm
Yes, i'm an old codger and the Queen and the Duke have been there throughout my entire existence. Countless other famous people have come and gone in that time.
RIP. He was of cause famous for his ripostes - some a bit over the top, but that's him.
I am a monarchist by any definition of the word but the medias coverage is a little over the top with BBC and ITV dedicating an entire evening to the news. There may be an argument for the BBC but not both main channels.

User avatar
Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip
Posts: 21646
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Banbury, Oxon.

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:09 pm

There is absolutely NO excuse for not airing the new Pointless. I want my licence fee refunded.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

User avatar
UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend
Posts: 10536
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:09 pm
There is absolutely NO excuse for not airing the new Pointless. I want my licence fee refunded.
Agreed. It's political correctness gone mad. Probably.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

User avatar
dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007
Posts: 13924
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Just over the border...

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by dm » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:09 pm
There is absolutely NO excuse for not airing the new Pointless. I want my licence fee refunded.
Agreed. It's political correctness gone mad. Probably.
The royal family is meant to be politically neutral. This is an outrage.

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Wimbledon
Contact:

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by old pauline » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am

I'm more saddened that Baroness Shirley Williams has passed away, if I am being honest.
Come on you Sooopa ........

User avatar
Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am

old pauline wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
I'm more saddened that Baroness Shirley Williams has passed away, if I am being honest.
Same here, interesting that there were over a 100k complaints about the coverage of Phil's
croaking - the most complaints ever.
As a crypto-commie I reckon the "royals" should in theory be able to see out their exile in
Svalbard... if that's OK with the Norwegians.
Staff Benda Bilili

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor
Posts: 10947
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Damien » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:43 pm

old pauline wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
I'm more saddened that Baroness Shirley Williams has passed away, if I am being honest.
Yeah...me too. Would have made a great Prime Minister I reckon.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4044
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am
Location: New York City

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Satch » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:40 pm

He's an old man, old people die. I'm sure his family are saddened as anyones would be but i can't undersatnd why anyone gives a flying pribbling idle-headed giglet. His life has no greater inherent value than anyone else that age with no dependents and no worthwhile contribution to wider society to make. The coverage is just grotesque.
Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am
old pauline wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:54 am
I'm more saddened that Baroness Shirley Williams has passed away, if I am being honest.
Same here, interesting that there were over a 100k complaints about the coverage of Phil's
croaking - the most complaints ever.
As a crypto-commie I reckon the "royals" should in theory be able to see out their exile in
Svalbard... if that's OK with the Norwegians.
Svalbard is pretty expensive, not sure how they'll afford that. As far as i'm concerned they should all be allowed to leave their homes with the clothes on their back and a spare change. Anyone caught trying to trouser jewelry or antiques gets the french treatment. They can have a national rail travel pass for one journey and an appointment to sign on where they will be expected to show their plan for finding employment and assisted in finding temporary shelter.

If anyone on here has watched Schitts creek i'm ok with them being stuck in a cheap hotel for a month. Any future proceeds based on their past status are to be immediately seized by the state.
222gers wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm
Yes, i'm an old codger and the Queen and the Duke have been there throughout my entire existence. Countless other famous people have come and gone in that time.
RIP. He was of cause famous for his ripostes - some a bit over the top, but that's him.
Or a massive racist

User avatar
Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger
Posts: 4977
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Duke of Edinburgh

Post by Montag » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am

As a point of fact, Prince Philip voluntarily served on active duty with the Royal Navy throughout the whole of WW2 both against the Nazis and the Japanese.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Post Reply