Anyone know whats happening with Manning?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

ZENITH R

Re: Anyone know whats happening with Manning?

Post by ZENITH R » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:58 am

Rbee wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:47 am
A few sources are saying 250k initially then extras after a number of appearances etc, sell on clause too.

One paper quotes Manning as saying that he felt he had outgrown the club and wanted to take his career in a different direction

I take that to mean he didn't want to play left back. Presumably he had a discussion with Mark Warburton about that. It seems odd that we dug our heels in if that was the sticking point. I think he more than showed his worth last season - in fact every year he was with us, he played more games than the season before - culminating in 44 appearances last season and five goals. That's a pretty good scoring return for someone playing left back. Our midfield looked lightweight for long periods last season, and I feel Manning would have made a difference there. It wasn't his fault the club didn't buy or couldn't find anyone else to play left back.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 am

As much as I'm disappointed at the initial £250k fee and at how Manning's departure has worked out, I don't share the anger some seem to have with the lad. He's not under any obligation to sign a new contract nor to stay at the club. Would he have got an Eze type move if he had signed? It must be at least doubtful given no Premier League clubs bid for him and he must surely have been aware of that. For what ever reason, he wanted away and no one should be forced to stay in a job they don't want.

I'm also not upset at the club. It's understandable Warburton didn't want to play him. He was in a difficult position, particularly with BOS in similar circumstances. There was nothing to be gained by not allowing him to move to Swansea. We at least have the £250k plus around the same in wage savings.

Sometimes things just don't work out and no one is really at fault. With the exception of this one, it's been a good transfer window. Let's be happy with the good stuff.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 am

None of us know what went on so it is pure speculation. It would appear from the low fee the club were desperate to get rid rather than desperate for a fee. £250k for Manning is a steal so why were other Championship clubs not interested.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 am
£250k for Manning is a steal so why were other Championship clubs not interested.
It's a good question. You would think that Manning's attacking stats last season aligned with his years of Championship experience would have attracted more interest from clubs at our level. To my knowledge, there's never been any suggestion that he was "difficult" behind the scenes, so it does seem strange.
I guess Swansea are more likely to be challenging for at least a play-off place this season than we are,
but it feels like a pretty underwhelming move for him.

He'll be good back-up for Bidwell though 8)
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Thought he did a good job for the team - gave us some offensive options and creativity from left back, and not the worst defensively either.

Wish him well for the future and don't think the club do do much more in the position - clubs weren't queueing for him and next window he would have seen out so we were left with no fee. At least we picked up something for him and potential add ons - chance to give Wallace a run of games and see what Niko can do.

More interested in our new signings and looking forward to seeing what they can do, and how our players progress.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 pm

SM wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 am
£250k is a laughable price to sell him for.

I would rather we called his bluff and sat him rotting away on the bench for a season. Maybe then he would be more inclined to have signed.

It’s a very poor piece of business for us, and not for the first time that we’ve sold a player considerably below market value. A real shame.
What would leaving him on the bench for the whole season have achieved though ?

We'd be wasting a.talented player who would still be collecting his wages anyway, and he'd be getting increasingly bitter and resentful. I think it made sense while the transfer window was open, in order to try and force him into a decision one way or the other, but beyond that it just starts to feel spiteful.

I'd agree the fee seems very disappointing, but whatever the reasons, there didn't seem to be much interest in him. I guess in the end they thought £250k was better than nothing. I think the more worrying thing is it leaves us looking very weak on the left side defensively.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Rbee
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:34 pm

The commentator before today's game congratulated Manning on ''His dream move to Swansea.''

I know what I read in to that!

old pauline
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:59 pm

One way of looking at the Manning departure.

We got him in, at around the same age as Kelman, as a striker.

He didn't make it as a striker but did a good job filling in in midfield and at left back.

We now have a young striker, probably for about the same money, who might score the goals we need.

End result - net gain
Come on you Sooopa ........

JHC

Post by JHC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm

dm wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 am
As much as I'm disappointed at the initial £250k fee and at how Manning's departure has worked out, I don't share the anger some seem to have with the lad. He's not under any obligation to sign a new contract nor to stay at the club. Would he have got an Eze type move if he had signed? It must be at least doubtful given no Premier League clubs bid for him and he must surely have been aware of that. For what ever reason, he wanted away and no one should be forced to stay in a job they don't want.

I'm also not upset at the club. It's understandable Warburton didn't want to play him. He was in a difficult position, particularly with BOS in similar circumstances. There was nothing to be gained by not allowing him to move to Swansea. We at least have the £250k plus around the same in wage savings.

Sometimes things just don't work out and no one is really at fault. With the exception of this one, it's been a good transfer window. Let's be happy with the good stuff.
I agree completely with this. In reality, Manning has never been able to get regular time in midfield and his defensive liabilities have limited interest in him as a full back. With luck he proves everyone who doubts his abilities wrong and becomes a Premier league star. With the right sell on clause the deal may look much better a year or two from now. Go Ryan!!!

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm

JHC wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 pm
dm wrote:

I agree completely with this. In reality, Manning has never been able to get regular time in midfield and his defensive liabilities have limited interest in him as a full back. With luck he proves everyone who doubts his abilities wrong and becomes a Premier league star. With the right sell on clause the deal may look much better a year or two from now. Go Ryan!!!
You have to ask why he was unable to get regular time in midfield in all the time he was here.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Rbee wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:47 am
A few sources are saying 250k initially then extras after a number of appearances etc, sell on clause too.

One paper quotes Manning as saying that he felt he had outgrown the club and wanted to take his career in a different direction
To Wales.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:56 pm

QPR_John wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm
JHC wrote:
dm wrote:

You have to ask why he was unable to get regular time in midfield in all the time he was here.
Freeman, Luongo, Scowen, Eze, Chair, BOS, Bettache, Amos...
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR_John
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by QPR_John » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:56 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 pm
JHC wrote:

Freeman, Luongo, Scowen, Eze, Chair, BOS, Bettache, Amos...
Exactly

jimjams
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by jimjams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm
QPR_John wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:01 am
£250k for Manning is a steal so why were other Championship clubs not interested.
It's a good question. You would think that Manning's attacking stats last season aligned with his years of Championship experience would have attracted more interest from clubs at our level. To my knowledge, there's never been any suggestion that he was "difficult" behind the scenes, so it does seem strange.
I guess Swansea are more likely to be challenging for at least a play-off place this season than we are,
but it feels like a pretty underwhelming move for him.

He'll be good back-up for Bidwell though 8)
In the last few weeks Warburton went out of his way to say he had been good and was training well, so I'd concur.

I think Swansea have a good chance of going up this season, but the Championship is a hard mistress. I remember Freeman being linked with Middlesbrough when they were tipped for promotion, but they just missed out on the playoffs that year and finished 17th last year.

In any case, Swansea are probably paying him more than we are, and I wouldn't be too negative toward Manning if that's why he left.

We don't pay much for a Championship side. The implicit offer we make by way of compensation is that we can give you a chance of development with hopefully a chance to move on somewhere bigger, but (though I wouldn't criticize QPR for this at all) this hasn't worked out. Ryan Manning has done basically all we asked of him, played out of position and made a success of it, but that big move hasn't come.

While some might take that as a player thinking he's better than he is, I think it makes it reasonable to refuse to sign. After all, we're basically asking him to accept "jam tomorrow" in return for another year or two of below-market wages. But what's going to happen between now and then? Why should he give us more time? If he does develop into a premier league player, I don't think he is much less likely to do that at Swansea. So if they are going to pay him better, he might as well go there.

I don't think QPR did much wrong either. Realistically, we won't get relegated without Mannning, and we wouldn't have been promoted with him. So if Warburton is going to follow up on his task of making the playing side of the club one that works financially, then we might as well get what we can for him now.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:51 pm
SM wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:57 am
£250k is a laughable price to sell him for.

I would rather we called his bluff and sat him rotting away on the bench for a season. Maybe then he would be more inclined to have signed.

It’s a very poor piece of business for us, and not for the first time that we’ve sold a player considerably below market value. A real shame.
What would leaving him on the bench for the whole season have achieved though ?

We'd be wasting a.talented player who would still be collecting his wages anyway, and he'd be getting increasingly bitter and resentful. I think it made sense while the transfer window was open, in order to try and force him into a decision one way or the other, but beyond that it just starts to feel spiteful.

I'd agree the fee seems very disappointing, but whatever the reasons, there didn't seem to be much interest in him. I guess in the end they thought £250k was better than nothing. I think the more worrying thing is it leaves us looking very weak on the left side defensively.
It’s a slightly different scenario, but it’s not too dissimilar to Jeremy Peace at WBA with Peter Odemwingie.

They may have lost out financially in that particular deal and kept an unhappy player on their hands - but they made a real statement of intent over how they handled it. They call the shots, and won’t be bullied by any individual or club. I bet it served them well on future business.

I don’t think we have received ‘top’ money for any of the key players we have sold over recent years, going back as far as Charlie Austin, it was still relatively modest in relation to the rest of the market...

But £250k for a rough diamond that you’ve polished up after signing from Galway. It just shouldn’t be allowed to happen IMO.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss