Biden

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: Biden

Post by Montag » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:00 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:52 am
Montag wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Thanks for posting those, DM. I appreciate you answering. The problem is that I'm not sure that Joe Biden really exists in the real, mental sense. This means that other people are formulating policy. Here's who he used to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcpO329xTGI

A bit of a contrast to Trumps crime bill and Bill Clinton signed it.
As I previously said, Biden is not my cup of tea - very few American politicians are - but the choice is between him and Trump. Are you seriously saying Trump is preferable?
Do you mean is Trump more likeable? No, he's not. Or is it about policy? What about Biden's terrible cognitive decline which the media are trying to hide? Should this not be a factor? Why didn't the Dems select a proper candidate? What about Tulsi Gabbard - potentially a great candidate.
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."
Richard III, Act IV, W. Shakespeare

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Montag wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:00 pm
dm wrote:
Montag wrote:
Thanks for posting those, DM. I appreciate you answering. The problem is that I'm not sure that Joe Biden really exists in the real, mental sense. This means that other people are formulating policy. Here's who he used to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcpO329xTGI

As I previously said, Biden is not my cup of tea - very few American politicians are - but the choice is between him and Trump. Are you seriously saying Trump is preferable?
Do you mean is Trump more likeable? No, he's not. Or is it about policy? What about Biden's terrible cognitive decline which the media are trying to hide? Should this not be a factor? Why didn't the Dems select a proper candidate? What about Tulsi Gabbard - potentially a great candidate.
I did not mean whether Trump is more likeable than Biden. I meant whether you'd prefer Trump to win the presidency over Biden. Would you?

It is about policy and, as I previously said, that Biden accepts there's a climate emergency and has pledged to do something about it would be enough for me. Trump is a climate change denier. But it's also about Trumps utter lack of competence, intelligence and empathy. I'd rather Biden with cognitive decline than Trump who, as described well by Uxbridge a few posts ago, is the most appalling POTUS in history.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 pm

It seems that Trump has decided that if China, Russia and India won't rein in their emissions why should the US shoulder the burden and lose jobs? He sees it as a simple business decision. The US economy has benefitted. Despite Trumps personality and blabbering I think many centrist Democrats are turning away from their party because they don't like what's happening to it. In fact a very large swathe of Obama voters switched to Trump 4 years ago. The same thing has already happened here to the Labour Party. I have attached a youtube video featuring an Academic called Brett Weinstein (A progressive). Very interesting to hear what he says. Makes an awful lot of sense. If anyone fancies having a look, hear him out. Sorry it's a bit long and do not be deceived that it is from The Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1YZkAdn3Ls
"Go, muster men: My council is my shield ; We must be brief, when traitors brave the field."

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:28 am

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:34 am
dm wrote:
Montag wrote:

This is what I struggle with. Even if you're a life-long conservative, how do you look at Trump and think "He's a great leader and a great representative for our country" ?

The man's an emotional infant, unable to withstand the mildest hint of criticism without lashing out in retaliation. I genuinely don't know how you can be a billionaire and the most powerful man on the planet, and still be as insecure as a sulky teenager.

He's turned the presidency into a family business, and his isolationist approach to international affairs has provoked horror and disbelief from US allies across the globe.

His divide and rule tactics have taken the country to the brink of civil war, and he's dropping heavy hints that he will refuse to abide by the results of the upcoming election. The man has no respect for anyone or anything, certainly not the office he holds. No loyalty either, other than to those who support him unquestioningly. He'd throw his own family under the bus in a heartbeat if he thought it was the best option for him personally.

His arrogant, ignorant approach to the pandemic has contributed significantly to over 200k deaths, a fact he seems to barely consider worthy of acknowledgement. He's still undermining efforts to combat the virus to this day. But then what would you expect from a pathological liar ?

The sad reality seems to be that none of this matters to his base, as long as he hates the people they hate. And the even sadder reality is that this country is heading down the exact same track.
You hold your nose and make a pact that with an ageing supreme court bench this brief period of distastefulness; which is counter to the values of a huge number of Republican's especially the evangelicals will be hugely rewarded by swinging the bench to the most appallingly right leaning, constructionist (when it suits) judiciary in modern times with justices young enough to see out decades.

Unfortunately all those who made this deal have been rewarded beyond their wildest hopes. Leaving deeper scars and division that will last long after Trump.

UxbridgeR
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by UxbridgeR » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:20 am

You're right. With RBG's passing and Trump determined to rush through a new appointment before the election, things could be about to take a serious turn for the worse, even if he loses, which seemingly he's not going to accept anyway. I never imagined there would be a serious possibility of Roe vs Wade being overturned in my lifetime, but here we are.

Are you based in the US permanently, Satch ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:20 am
You're right. With RBG's passing and Trump determined to rush through a new appointment before the election, things could be about to take a serious turn for the worse, even if he loses, which seemingly he's not going to accept anyway. I never imagined there would be a serious possibility of Roe vs Wade being overturned in my lifetime, but here we are.

Are you based in the US permanently, Satch ?
I'm not as concerned about Trump rejecting the result as there's no real requirement for him to acknowledge it that i'm aware of, although it's likely to tie the court up if so. It will inevitably entrench the increasingly radical alt-right further aswell. However, it seems he's going to get that nomination through and the likely candidates look awful, to the point that analysts are suggesting Kavanagh might even end up having to act as the bulwark against sweeping legal changes like the repeal of Roe. As you say hard, to believe it's in genuine peril.

Yep, although i'm still a permanent resident so can't vote.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:07 pm

I have always maintained that unless you are a resident of a country, you don't really know how well a leader or government are doing domestically. Margaret Thatcher is even now very highly regarded in other countries but having lived through her policies of deliberate mass unemployment my opinion was/is somewhat different. I'm interested in your view Satch. Until the pandemic, I understood the US to be in a boom. Was that the feeling on the ground? Unlike his predecessors, Trump has avoided new wars and cancelled TTIP. Statistically he has presided over an increase in median incomes. Is this recognised? In your opinion, has the unrest in the last few months gone in his favour or against him? Also, what does everyone think about the possibility of a trade deal with a Biden administration? Both Biden and Pelosi like Obama have made distinctly hostile noises towards the UK. With the possibility of a No-Deal Brexit surely we are going to need a friend in the White House?

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 am

Montag wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:07 pm
I have always maintained that unless you are a resident of a country, you don't really know how well a leader or government are doing domestically. Margaret Thatcher is even now very highly regarded in other countries but having lived through her policies of deliberate mass unemployment my opinion was/is somewhat different. I'm interested in your view Satch. Until the pandemic, I understood the US to be in a boom. Was that the feeling on the ground? Unlike his predecessors, Trump has avoided new wars and cancelled TTIP. Statistically he has presided over an increase in median incomes. Is this recognised? In your opinion, has the unrest in the last few months gone in his favour or against him? Also, what does everyone think about the possibility of a trade deal with a Biden administration? Both Biden and Pelosi like Obama have made distinctly hostile noises towards the UK. With the possibility of a No-Deal Brexit surely we are going to need a friend in the White House?
The US was enjoying record lows in unemployment before Covid. What is not often acknowledged was the trend was there long before Trump, he largely benefitted from previous administration. That, and his short term protectionist policies help maintain the trend.
Ask an ecnomist, and I'm sure they will tell that restrictive practices and trade tariffs are in no ones interest. Any "special" deal with a Trump-led administration will screw the UK. Trump is not a friend of any nation, especially his own.

The UK had trade deals and friends in the EU. Granted far from perfect, but better than anything Trump would broker. Biden, I don't know, we shall see.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 am
Montag wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:07 pm
The US was enjoying record lows in unemployment before Covid. What is not often acknowledged was the trend was there long before Trump, he largely benefitted from previous administration. That, and his short term protectionist policies help maintain the trend.
Ask an ecnomist, and I'm sure they will tell that restrictive practices and trade tariffs are in no ones interest. Any "special" deal with a Trump-led administration will screw the UK. Trump is not a friend of any nation, especially his own.

The UK had trade deals and friends in the EU. Granted far from perfect, but better than anything Trump would broker. Biden, I don't know, we shall see.
Trade tariffs and restrictions seemed to have worked pretty well for China so far.

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:04 am

dm wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Montag wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:00 pm
dm wrote:

I did not mean whether Trump is more likeable than Biden. I meant whether you'd prefer Trump to win the presidency over Biden. Would you?

It is about policy and, as I previously said, that Biden accepts there's a climate emergency and has pledged to do something about it would be enough for me. Trump is a climate change denier. But it's also about Trumps utter lack of competence, intelligence and empathy. I'd rather Biden with cognitive decline than Trump who, as described well by Uxbridge a few posts ago, is the most appalling POTUS in history.
Really ? Worse than GWB and the British, US and Iraqi lives he lost? What about what Obama did to Libya and it's people and the effect this has had on Europe? Has Trump done anything to compare? Or in the current climate, is he worse than the slave-owning Washington and Jefferson?

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 am

Montag wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:54 am
Trade tariffs and restrictions seemed to have worked pretty well for China so far.
At what cost?

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:36 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 am
Montag wrote:
At what cost?
Enormous cost to Europe and the US.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:36 pm
BiscuitRanger wrote:
Montag wrote:
At what cost?
You are wrong

Montag
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Montag » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:16 pm

BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm
Montag wrote:
BiscuitRanger wrote:

At what cost?
You are wrong
So are you.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Montag wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:16 pm
BiscuitRanger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm
Montag wrote:

You are wrong
So are you.
"If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right"... Luther Ingram