POLL: McClaren... Stay or Go?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Should McClaren Be Sacked Now / The End Of The Season?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 57

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Re: POLL: McClaren... Stay or Go?

Post by dm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:28 pm

White Duck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm
dm wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Given the current state the club is in, and will be for the foreseeable future, I cannot imagine a manager capable of improving us would want the job. We'll have to stick with SMc.
I really disagree with this 'he's the best we can get and no-one else would want the job' kind of thing. Just not correct IMO.
Why would a manager worth their salt want to come to QPR at this time, particularly with the increased challenges next season?

Mr Beef
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Mr Beef » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 pm

White Duck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm
White Duck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm

I really disagree with this 'he's the best we can get and no-one else would want the job' kind of thing. Just not correct IMO.
Genuine question. Who do you think will be much better, and will want to come into a club who are already sailing very close to the FFP limit and are about to lose its parachute payments?
I'd definitely consider Ainsworth and the brothers at Lincoln are clearly on the up: also Jackett if Portsmouth don't get promoted this season. All would surely consider the job with us and would be prepared to work with what we have.
All decent choices, and probably a step up from Schteve, but arguably Jackett apart they are all in stable positions so the question is whether they would want to exchange that for the volitility of the QPR job.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 pm

With the utmost reluctance I vote no although I have little faith in him. I think we would be rebuffed by the managers people are suggesting. Ramsay taking over would be interesting but unlikely to happen.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:44 pm

Mr Beef wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:35 pm
White Duck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm
Mr Beef wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Genuine question. Who do you think will be much better, and will want to come into a club who are already sailing very close to the FFP limit and are about to lose its parachute payments?
I'd definitely consider Ainsworth and the brothers at Lincoln are clearly on the up: also Jackett if Portsmouth don't get promoted this season. All would surely consider the job with us and would be prepared to work with what we have.
All decent choices, and probably a step up from Schteve, but arguably Jackett apart they are all in stable positions so the question is whether they would want to exchange that for the volitility of the QPR job.
How much further can Wycombe and Lincoln climb and achieve? I would argue the prospect of joining QPR in the Championship would be seen as a step forward for their careers. The safe option would be to stay where they are but it depends how ambitious they are.
Lex Talionis........

Andy_N19
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Andy_N19 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 pm

One constant seems that successive managers are a soft touch to the group of players we have.
More carrot than stick. You watch Norwich and you don't get the impression that Farke tolerates slacking
whereas our bunch aren't driven as much as they could be.

Wild Thing isn't setting the world alight @ Wycombe
Jackett isn't my cup of tea.
Our threadbare financial position would fit the Cowley brothers and they'd do, but David Wagner would be good too
if we're a tad ambitious.
Staff Benda Bilili

Albert Steptoe
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Albert Steptoe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 am

Wednesday’s performance was so far below acceptable that he, and his 87 coaches, should have been gone that night.

Of course the bigger problem is that the people above him think that Hasselbaink was a better choice for the job than Warnock, so they’ll invariably appoint another dud anyway.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 pm
One constant seems that successive managers are a soft touch to the group of players we have.
More carrot than stick. You watch Norwich and you don't get the impression that Farke tolerates slacking
whereas our bunch aren't driven as much as they could be.

Jackett isn't my cup of tea.
Our threadbare financial position would fit the Cowley brothers and they'd do, but David Wagner would be good too
if we're a tad ambitious.
Farke of course is a widely acknowledged managerial genius now, but Norwich finished 14th under him last season, and lost 3 of their first 4 games back in August. At QPR, he'd had been driven out the door before he ever got the chance to show what he can do.

And if you think Wagner won't have significantly more enticing options than coming to LR, you're dreaming.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

Andy_N19 wrote:
Because stability and consistent improvement on a threadbare budget are in no way what we would be after.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am

Crabsandwich wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
Because stability and consistent improvement on a threadbare budget are in no way what we would be after.
I think it is Wycombe's style of play that would would set peoples teeth on edge if it turned up at QPR. I would also like Gareth Ainsworth to never be manager of QPR, he deserves better than that. He's a great guy, a real fan of the club and is completely unworthy of the opprobrium he would inevitably get when the supporters get after him. SMC has this season and next season before we need to think about appointing a manager, perhaps hold your horses and keep your powder dry until then.
We aren't getting relegated this season; there is every likelihood we will next season due to the diminishing fortunes so why demand added extra expenses we don't have to a situation that won't be improving any time soon.
Help the club by buying a season ticket, turn up and support the team, even if it is a game like Wednesday's which left a very bad taste in the mouth, and find something to give you joy and happiness when your football team isn't doing it for you.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am

Yes let's just give up and accept relegation next season (assuming we don't somehow conjure a way to go down this season) :roll:

I hope the owners and directors have more about them and take the necessary action to make us competitive and secure in this division which is the minimum our club should find acceptable.
Lex Talionis........

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am
Crabsandwich wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am
Andy_N19 wrote:
I think it is Wycombe's style of play that would would set peoples teeth on edge if it turned up at QPR. I would also like Gareth Ainsworth to never be manager of QPR, he deserves better than that. He's a great guy, a real fan of the club and is completely unworthy of the opprobrium he would inevitably get when the supporters get after him. SMC has this season and next season before we need to think about appointing a manager, perhaps hold your horses and keep your powder dry until then.
We aren't getting relegated this season; there is every likelihood we will next season due to the diminishing fortunes so why demand added extra expenses we don't have to a situation that won't be improving any time soon.
Help the club by buying a season ticket, turn up and support the team, even if it is a game like Wednesday's which left a very bad taste in the mouth, and find something to give you joy and happiness when your football team isn't doing it for you.
I don't disagree, getting the job here would probably be the ruining of him. We still have nonsense expectations as a fanbase, the idea that we're too good for 'gritty' football if it gets results is beyond me, especially when considering our likely budget for next season.

As bad as Wednesday was I felt a lot worse after West Brom at home because we deserved something from that game. I didn't feel as engaged with the garbage that was served up against Rotherham.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am

The idea our fans will only accept a beautiful and pure form of passing play is rubbish. They want 100% commitment and determination from a well structured and coached team who are able to pass the ball in the right direction and able to kick the ball tegularly towards the opponent's goal and not into touch: something the current team haven't been doing recently.

Gritty players such as Derry and Hill are rightly seen by most as amongst our best players over recent years, and nothing get the crowd noise levels up more than a crunching tackle or two.
Lex Talionis........

Crabsandwich
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by Crabsandwich » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

Oh God, don't get Esox started on Clint Hill!

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

White Duck wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am
The idea our fans will only accept a beautiful and pure form of passing play is rubbish. They want 100% commitment and determination from a well structured and coached team who are able to pass the ball in the right direction and able to kick the ball tegularly towards the opponent's goal and not into touch: something the current team haven't been doing recently.

Gritty players such as Derry and Hill are rightly seen by most as amongst our best players over recent years, and nothing get the crowd noise levels up more than a crunching tackle or two.
nailonhead

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm

White Duck wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am
Yes let's just give up and accept relegation next season (assuming we don't somehow conjure a way to go down this season) :roll:

I hope the owners and directors have more about them and take the necessary action to make us competitive and secure in this division which is the minimum our club should find acceptable.
I'm sure we all hope that, but our income drops by around £16M next season, so being competitive and secure will by definition become harder, for whoever is in the manager's seat.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?