Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Re: Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Post by nic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am

Soops wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm
Think the Oldham and Chelsea games may have been mentioned on here once or twice over the years :lol:
I was looking for obscure moments!!
Ok, the squirrel!

bwhoops

Post by bwhoops » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 am

Can't remember the year or opponent but I do remember a game where Stan had a bit of a run-in with the ref. A few minutes later and the referee is running backwards over quite a distance. Stan, who somehow manages to be in the refs path, deliberately bends down on one knee to 'tie' his boot lace up. At the very last moment he rises up out of the way and then turns round with a big smile towards the supporters in the loft! It got quite a cheer at the time. (Perhaps you needed to be there to appreciate it)!

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm
The seven we let in the F A Cup vs Arsenal under Gerry - every time they went forward, they looked like they'd score.
Yeah I was thinking of that game: we were better than you remembered as it was only 0-6!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 138764.stm

It was the only QPR game I've been to where I was in an executive box but can't remember why!

Look at the Arsenal team that day: no resting all your first team back then.....
Lex Talionis........

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 am

Think it was in 2008 a Tuesday night against top of the table Birmingham - freezing cold snowing and down to ten men when Di Carmine scored a goal and my son who was ten at the time ran halfway down the lower loft to join in the melee at the front with fans and players - I then knew that even though I had been taking him for eight years and he knew most things about the club he had hoops in his veins for real

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:05 am

Not sure who it was against, and it may have happened more than once, but Gareth Ainsworth attempting to head the ball while both he and it were on the ground cracked me up. Also remember him doing a fabulous swan dive mocking an opponent who he thought had been faking it. Top man.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am

Mark Lazarus standing at the edge of the pitch on the Ellerslie Road side taking his shorts off after they got ripped awaiting a new pair from the kit man. Rodney Marsh passed the ball to him and stopped running so Lazarus had to go off on a run with his shorts in his hand. Also Marsh dribbling past a GK in acres of space and instead of tapping it into the empty net he stopped it on the line and sat on it taunting the keeper to try and get it, which he couldn't. The ref rightly booked Marsh for being a twat.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Soops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Soops » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Some great memories shared here, even if I don’t personally remember most of them!
Couple more:
David Webb always used to come out of the tunnel after the rest of the team were on the pitch - and he seemed to get a bigger cheer than the whole team.
When The Bard came on after 2 seasons out or however long it was..... brought a tear to the eye to have him back.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 pm

nic wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am
Soops wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm
Think the Oldham and Chelsea games may have been mentioned on here once or twice over the years :lol:
I was looking for obscure moments!!
Ok, the squirrel!
Everton?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Tail end of the season, 83rd minute (ish) against Leicester, big fella on loan burst through and slotted the winner - that was the moment I dared to dream of promotion. Just can't remember his name.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm

redinjun wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 pm
Tail end of the season, 83rd minute (ish) against Leicester, big fella on loan burst through and slotted the winner - that was the moment I dared to dream of promotion. Just can't remember his name.
Ishmael Miller
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

patrickqpr
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by patrickqpr » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Not obscure but my favourite moment was the second half v Newcastle in 1984. Having been to White Hart Lane the week before I got to see us lose 5-0 and then come back from 0-4 to draw 5-5 with Newcastle was unbelievable!

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm

Don't know how people can remember such minute details of a game that happened decades ago...
Last edited by krama on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am
Mark Lazarus standing at the edge of the pitch on the Ellerslie Road side taking his shorts off after they got ripped awaiting a new pair from the kit man. Rodney Marsh passed the ball to him and stopped running so Lazarus had to go off on a run with his shorts in his hand. Also Marsh dribbling past a GK in acres of space and instead of tapping it into the empty net he stopped it on the line and sat on it taunting the keeper to try and get it, which he couldn't. The ref rightly booked Marsh for being a twat.
Not sure that's being a twat. It's called entertainment and showmanship, something that is sadly lacking from todays game.

Greyhound
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Greyhound » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:42 pm

Mid 90s, when you just had a single tousle-haired youth with buck teeth as the team mascot, instead of the small army of mascots and flag-wavers you get today. On this occasion, the mascot was a 20 year old bloke, who I think was marking the occasion of his impending nuptials by being mascot for the day. Obviously the normal routine of holding the skipper's hand and having a brief playground kickaround with a few of the kinder players goes out of the window, and the whole poorly thought-through exercise seemed extremely awkward for all involved. To add to the fun, he was roundly booed when he trotted out - it just seemed the right thing to do.

Mark Falco leaving the pitch after the pre-match warm-up during the unforgettable era of the inflatable terrace banana. A wag in the Paddock shouts out, 'Oi Mark, this banana is as big as your nose', and is met with a volley of abuse by the decidedly unamused Falco.

A 1-1 home draw with Norwich in 1989 which was an absolutely sublime feast of passing, inventive football (well before the days when this was the norm).

fxbghdfn
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by fxbghdfn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 pm

That time the seats either side of me were empty and I was able to walk pain free after. :wink: