Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Soops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Post by Soops » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 pm

...of the obscure kind. Not play-off semi finals, come backs under the lights, Chelsea 6-0 / 1-0 etc, but the moments you remember that you've never seen mentioned on here or other websites. That does mean they're more likely to be things that happened some time ago, but for me:

1. Tricky Trev doing a sublime rollback and 360 degree turn to leave Man City's Kinkladze in his dust (I'm sure the younger generation and/or FIFA gamers will have a name for the trick!)
2. Jan Molby being clean through on goal for a 50/50 challenge with Jan Stejskal - all of Molby's weight (plenty of it) was going into his shooting foot as he connected with the ball, but the strength of Stejskal's right hand absorbed it all at the moment of impact and he came away with the ball.

Bear-Grills
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Favourite Loftus Road moments...

Post by Bear-Grills » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Soops wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 pm
...of the obscure kind. Not play-off semi finals, come backs under the lights, Chelsea 6-0 / 1-0 etc, but the moments you remember that you've never seen mentioned on here or other websites. That does mean they're more likely to be things that happened some time ago, but for me:

1. Tricky Trev doing a sublime rollback and 360 degree turn to leave Man City's Kinkladze in his dust (I'm sure the younger generation and/or FIFA gamers will have a name for the trick!)
2. Jan Molby being clean through on goal for a 50/50 challenge with Jan Stejskal - all of Molby's weight (plenty of it) was going into his shooting foot as he connected with the ball, but the strength of Stejskal's right hand absorbed it all at the moment of impact and he came away with the ball.
The Rangers supporters rising as one to applaud the Blackpool players off the pitch in a cup match after they had somehow held out for a 0-0 draw against a very, very good Rangers side who had battered them for the entire game (they returned the compliment in the replay, where we finally finished them off).
If drink isn't the answer, you were asked the wrong question

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Beating the SW6 poseurs 1-0 and them ending up with 9 men on the pitch along with Mata refusing to take a corner. That, and the Stoke game game at home were some of the best LR atmospheres for donkey's years.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

nic
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by nic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Play off semi final 1-0 victory against Oldham.

Grown men crying, all sides of the ground jumping.

No contest.

Soops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by Soops » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Think the Oldham and Chelsea games may have been mentioned on here once or twice over the years :lol:
I was looking for obscure moments!!

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 pm

Home to Sheffield Wednesday 1991: my mate and I had knocked back a good few beers beforehand and I bullishly placed a much larger bet than normal on the game. I was therefore delighted when Super Ray Wilkins lobbed in the opening goal as I had £20 on him at 16-1.
Lex Talionis........

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Not exactly a LR moment but in the mid 70's was on the train from Euston to Manchester with my father to go to see Rangers play Utd at OT the next day. We were in the buffet car when half the qpr team came in for refreshments...there was Phil Parkes, Mick Leach, Don Givens and Dave Thomas....Dave Thomas and Don Givens came to sit opposite us on the buffet car table....I was so in awe I knocked my coffee all over Dave Thomas!!!! He was fine about it and we said were going to OT.
We were staying at the swanky Midland Hotel in Manchester overnight and thought the team would be there as well...but no such luck that time. A great QPR moment. 8)

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Anyone remember the astonishing double save made by Phil Parkes at the Loft end in the cup at home to Fulham ? Rapturous applause from both sets of fans which continued for ages even after the ball had been cleared up to the other end.

redinjun
dot.org player kit sponsor

Post by redinjun » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:07 pm

1986 Milk cup semi, in the Paddock right behind Martin Allen as he put in a superb bending cross that Grobbelar started to go for then realized he wasn't going to get, moved back on his heels just as Terry Fenwick came in with a bullet header - pandemonium!

I saw Martin walking through Henley and went and said hello and that I remembered that cross and he said that playing in that team on that cup run was the pinnacle of his career.

I also remember a bloke in the upper loft shouting "Oi ref... you must have see through eyes!"

Markybabar
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by Markybabar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Crazy 4-3 game Home to Wycombe around 18 years ago. Red cards, penalties and mad football.

Richard Langley smashing in a 25 yard volley against Blackpool.

3 nil home win against Plymouth to overtake them at the top of the table. Tony Thorpe scoring the third I believe.

The Luigi Di Canio Era. Chants, Hope & Olè Football.

Just a few of many wonderful memories from the home of football.
I KNOW IAM, I'M SURE I AM, I'M RANGERS 'TILL I DIE!

DBHoops
Level 1 dot.orger
Level 1 dot.orger

Post by DBHoops » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Markybabar wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 pm
Crazy 4-3 game Home to Wycombe around 18 years ago. Red cards, penalties and mad football.

3 nil home win against Plymouth to overtake them at the top of the table. Tony Thorpe scoring the third I believe.

That Wycombe 4-3 was phenomenal - also notable for the American Marching Band who appeared on the pitch at half time, being stuck in the corner of the loft and Ellerslie for the second half & playing along with the chants. It was bring a mate for a fiver day and my two mates still talk about that game to this day

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 pm

DBHoops wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 pm
Markybabar wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 pm

That Wycombe 4-3 was phenomenal - also notable for the American Marching Band who appeared on the pitch at half time, being stuck in the corner of the loft and Ellerslie for the second half & playing along with the chants. It was bring a mate for a fiver day and my two mates still talk about that game to this day
I remember the marching band. It would be nice to have that sort of thing more often although of course the Forever Rs is always interesting. Anything but dull-as-dishwater pop music.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Ian Stewart lobbing a wonder goal from near the half way line (I think) - I can't remember the game, or even the year, but it would have been sometime in the earlyish 1980s - does any remember it?

Clive Allen's quarter final cup winner v Palace in '82. Mayhem!

I also remember a schoolfriend's dad taking us to a home match with Luton, which we won 3-2 in the last 5 minutes - I think Dean Neal (remember him?) might have scored it. Only about 10,000 there, but I remember feeling very happy that night. Probably '81.

The 7-0 butchering of Burnley on my birthday - 1979 or 1980.

Not at LR, but that 4-1 away win at Cambridge in 81/82, with Clive Allen socring a fantastic fourth, running across flowerbeds after because the away supporters' coach was delayed, and my mate Chris Ambler screaming 'we're pissing on theeemmm' as we tumbled down that tiny terrace.

Tears in the Wembley upper tier when that Fenwick equaliser went in against the Spuds.

1-1 at Craven Cottage one night in '82 (there's a pattern here, right?) - I think my namesake Mr Stainrod got our goal, and Ray Lewington hit a spectacular equaliser.

The seven we let in the F A Cup vs Arsenal under Gerry - every time they went forward, they looked like they'd score.

Special mention, though, for my first ever Rangers game v Derby, 1976/77, 1-1 (Givens pen), att. 22,527. Still etched on my brain. Football seemed so much more raw and real then. The smell of tobacco, the award-winning programme, chips after the game and the football results in 5pm in the car with James Alexander Gordon.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm
Ian Stewart lobbing a wonder goal from near the half way line (I think) - I can't remember the game, or even the year, but it would have been sometime in the earlyish 1980s - does any remember it?

Clive Allen's quarter final cup winner v Palace in '82. Mayhem!

I also remember a schoolfriend's dad taking us to a home match with Luton, which we won 3-2 in the last 5 minutes - I think Dean Neal (remember him?) might have scored it. Only about 10,000 there, but I remember feeling very happy that night. Probably '81.

The 7-0 butchering of Burnley on my birthday - 1979 or 1980.

Not at LR, but that 4-1 away win at Cambridge in 81/82, with Clive Allen socring a fantastic fourth, running across flowerbeds after because the away supporters' coach was delayed, and my mate Chris Ambler screaming 'we're pissing on theeemmm' as we tumbled down that tiny terrace.

Tears in the Wembley upper tier when that fondle equaliser went in against the Spuds.

1-1 at Craven Cottage one night in '82 (there's a pattern here, right?) - I think my namesake Mr Stainrod got our goal, and Ray Lewington hit a spectacular equaliser.

The seven we let in the F A Cup vs Arsenal under Gerry - every time they went forward, they looked like they'd score.

Special mention, though, for my first ever Rangers game v Derby, 1976/77, 1-1 (Givens pen), att. 22,527. Still etched on my brain. Football seemed so much more raw and real then. The smell of tobacco, the award-winning programme, chips after the game and the football results in 5pm in the car with James Alexander Gordon.
You're right about the game being more raw and real. Visceral I'd say. My after match routine was a slow meandering walk to the pub ( they didn't open 'til 5.30 then), straight onto the Youngs Winter Warmer which was lethal, and being half dead by about 9.30. The pub was run by ex Fulham and England centre forward Bedford Jezzard, so plenty of chat about the game. Great days really.

redinjun

Post by redinjun » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:03 pm
That was a 6 - 0 home win against Stoke on the plastic, I memorized that game as I had root canal the next day and used it to keep my mind occupied.