4 points of a play off...

For stuff that can only sensibly reside here. You have been warned. HERE LIVETH TROLLS!

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Wegerle
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

4 points of a play off...

Post by Wegerle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 am

This really is a crazy league. We are down there in 17th position, yet only 4 points of a play off spot and 7 points off a relegation spot.
Do we look down or up? I think we'll be o.k. this season and finish mid-table but boy are things tight in this league!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Re: 4 points of a play off...

Post by 222gers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 am

As the season progresses the stronger teams, by and large, will consolidate their positions higher up with the skint clubs out with the washing.

As for us, I think we'll struggle to keep our heads above water. We are weak in some areas and as injuries set in we will be exposed. Plus of course, we have the transfer embargo in place for January.

I'd be delighted if we can finish in the position we currently hold. Get used to it. It's called FFP !

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am

3 points dropped at home on Saturday and I can almost guarantee that we will need to sack the manager, look forward to life in League 1 get rid of all the players who aren't playing for the shirt... again.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Damien
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Post by Damien » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm

We're top of the struggles down the wrong end of the table. Keep that up and McClaren will rightly have done his job and deserve to keep it. We are going to lose to a lot of the top teams, and this is when we will need to hold our nerve... me included :wink:

IJM
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by IJM » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Damien wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm
We're top of the struggles down the wrong end of the table. Keep that up and McClaren will rightly have done his job and deserve to keep it. We are going to lose to a lot of the top teams, and this is when we will need to hold our nerve... me included :wink:
Quote "Mclaren will rightly have done his job and deserve to keep it".

Well Ollie's remit last season was : 1) Reduce the wage bill - achieved
2) Maintain our Championship status - achieved
3) Introduce youth players - achieved

...... yet he was still sacked - appalling behaviour from the QPR board.

I have employed many people in the past and if I have set them a target and they delivered, I rewarded them, not sack 'em.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Only ten games have been played. The margins between the play-offs (i.e. 6th best team) and relegation places (i.e. 21st team) are never going to be great. Go back to any recent seasons and I am sure it would have been the same story - about a 12 point difference (just 3 or 4 wins) between the two at this stage.
Come on you Sooopa ........

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Isn't this the beauty the Championship though, such a tight entertaining league, where a high percentage of clubs start the season thinking they have a good chance of being there or thereabouts come May. The prem on the other hand, clubs mainly strive for safety apart from maybe the top six or so. It really is a double edged sword imo, promo from the champs to the prem.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 pm

krama wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 pm
Isn't this the beauty the Championship though, such a tight entertaining league, where a high percentage of clubs start the season thinking they have a good chance of being there or thereabouts come May. The prem on the other hand, clubs mainly strive for safety apart from maybe the top six or so. It really is a double edged sword imo, promo from the champs to the prem.
Not so sure I'd call it entertaining. Most, or at least many teams are intent on “game management” ie killing the game off by nefarious means if they're a goal up. There have been unpredictable results so far it's true. I feel the bigger clubs will be occupying all the top half of the league quite soon. Brentford look like being the small club to break the monopoly.

SM
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by SM » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 pm

It’s a ridiculous league, you only have to string a few back-to-back results together and you can fly up the table.

Overall I think the standard is very poor this year. We should comfortably stay up IMO.
Isle Of Wight R'ssssssssss

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Entertaining 222, as in anyone can beat anyone on the day, as you rightly point out, not so much in the play.
Agree SM, we'll be fine this season, no doubt about that.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:34 am

krama wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 pm
Entertaining 222, as in anyone can beat anyone on the day, as you rightly point out, not so much in the play.
Which I think implies unpredictable, rather than entertaining. I'd suggest the level of this league can more accurately be described as industrial for the most part, with a clear sprinkling of cynical.

Which is why I'm mystified where you get your prognostic (self-) certainty from, krama - we're probably more likely than not to stay up this season, but it's certainly not nailed-on.
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

krama
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by krama » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:34 am
krama wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 pm
Which I think implies unpredictable, rather than entertaining. I'd suggest the level of this league can more accurately be described as industrial for the most part, with a clear sprinkling of cynical.

Which is why I'm mystified where you get your prognostic (self-) certainty from, krama - we're probably more likely than not to stay up this season, but it's certainly not nailed-on.
I'm mystified why you pm'd me wanting a "truce" and then carry on with digs at me. Please explain, here or via pm if you must. It's all very weird to be honest. :?

Lee Gib
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by Lee Gib » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Could you two both please stop swinging your dicks over every thread? It's getting a bit tiresome tbh.

carrotstick
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by carrotstick » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:54 pm

Lee Gib wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:18 pm
Could you two both please stop swinging your dicks over every thread? It's getting a bit tiresome tbh.
Well said Lee aniclap aniclap

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Geoduck clam anyone? :lol:

It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.