The Punch Brothers

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

The Punch Brothers

Post by dm » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 am

Is anyone on here a fan?

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: The Punch Brothers

Post by sparkypark » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm

dm wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 am
Is anyone on here a fan?
Great band!
Between my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests. I'll dig with it.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

sparkypark wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:58 pm
dm wrote:
Is anyone on here a fan?
Great band!
Thanks sparkypark. I only discovered them four months ago but listened to little else since which is very unlike me. Absolutely incredible musicianship and song craft, yet you're the only other person I've found whose heard of them. Going to see them at the Barbican in November for their only UK date with the new album.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Just checked them out on youtube...not heard of them before but always up for new recommendations. Not bad....!

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm

krama wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm
Just checked them out on youtube...not heard of them before but always up for new recommendations. Not bad....!
Pleased you looked them up krama. Like so much good art, quite a lot of their stuff isn't immediate. You need to invest some time to reap rewards. Also, they draw on a range of genres so although they're based in bluegrass, they're pretty broad in style.

krama
Level 2 dot.orger
Level 2 dot.orger

Post by krama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:40 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm
krama wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm
Pleased you looked them up krama. Like so much good art, quite a lot of their stuff isn't immediate. You need to invest some time to reap rewards. Also, they draw on a range of genres so although they're based in bluegrass, they're pretty broad in style.
Always up for new stuff DM, so glad you mentioned this band. Most of my music is 1970's based but within that is pretty broad, although my main stay would be the heavy blues based rock of that era, but love anything that is GOOD! Have to say that excludes much of the modern day commercial garbage!!! :mrgreen:

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 pm

dm wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm
sparkypark wrote:
dm wrote:
Is anyone on here a fan?
Great band!
Thanks sparkypark. I only discovered them four months ago but listened to little else since which is very unlike me. Absolutely incredible musicianship and song craft, yet you're the only other person I've found whose heard of them. Going to see them at the Barbican in November for their only UK date with the new album.
Also check out Chris Thile (Punch Bros main man) and Brad Mehldau album. Mehldau is a jazz pianist but the mix of him and Thile is quite brilliant. I can’t make the November concert - do report back on it.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm

sparkypark wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 pm
dm wrote:
sparkypark wrote:

Great band!
Also check out Chris Thile (Punch Bros main man) and Brad Mehldau album. Mehldau is a jazz pianist but the mix of him and Thile is quite brilliant. I can’t make the November concert - do report back on it.
Very impressed by the Chris Thile/Brad Mehldau album. It's the sort of thing that you wouldn't expect to work, but it does. The interplay is quite complex at times with just enough dissonance to keep a jazz fan like me happy.

sparkypark
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by sparkypark » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm

222gers wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm
sparkypark wrote:
dm wrote:

Very impressed by the Chris Thile/Brad Mehldau album. It's the sort of thing that you wouldn't expect to work, but it does. The interplay is quite complex at times with just enough dissonance to keep a jazz fan like me happy.
Hmmm; a QPRdot.orger who likes a bit of dissonance. :D

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 pm

sparkypark wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm
222gers wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 pm
sparkypark wrote:

Hmmm; a QPRdot.orger who likes a bit of dissonance. :D
There's been no shortage of dissonance on this board over the years !

DG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DG » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Saw them at Cambridge Folk Festival last year. They were great. Very accomplished across all the instruments. I really liked their set.

CFF has quite a lot of this sort of music now, since the revamp a couple of years ago.
Locum meum praecepta mea

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau album. Despite being massively into contemporary jazz I've never much like Mehldau but this album is very good. Thile has worked with other top artists on other recordings such as The Goat Rodeo Sessions with Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, and Edgar Meyer which I like a lot.

I think Thile is approaching musical genius status. People speak of him as being the best mandolin player on the planet and when you see him effortlessly play such a range of styles from trad bluegrass to jazz to Bach all with such effortless elan, I can see why.

However, it's the Punch Brothers I am really enthused about and I would have loved to have caught them at Cambridge, DG. I must check that festival out next year.

Here's a track from their latest album All Ashore for anyone interested in a taster

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Did you ever catch any Jakob Dylan and the Wallflowers back in the day dm? A similar feel to this.
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm
Did you ever catch any Jakob Dylan and the Wallflowers back in the day dm? A similar feel to this.
No, they're a new one for me. I'll check them out. Thanks Esox.

Rbee
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Rbee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:35 pm

dm wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm
Despite being massively into contemporary jazz

Here's a track from their latest album All Ashore for anyone interested in a taster[/youtube]
Thanks for posting, certainly different.

Who are you into Jazz wise?