Preston ale recommendations

This is a general message forum for all football and other general posts. Images, banter and topic wandering allowed. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS IN DEDICATED THREAD IN HERE ONLY. All ticket related posts elsewhere will be deleted.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

Giorgio
dotorgsponsor
dotorgsponsor

Re: Preston ale recommendations

Post by Giorgio » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:33 pm
Thanks for posting that, it is always useful information for the travelling fan(s) and the Moorbrook sounds like it could be after The Vine's crown as the best away pub :D One season I AM going to get to Deepdale, that and Fleetwood are the only grounds I haven't been to in Lancashire.
..Wrinkly is so happy about WBA getting relegated so he gets the chance to go to the Vine again...!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Post by dm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:49 pm

222gers wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm
It would be in order to reciprocate and provide info regarding Real Ale in the vicinity of our ground. Sadly, the area isn't blessed with many pubs that are worth the candle. The two 'Spoons pubs in Hammersmith have a good range of ales but aren't what I would call good pubs. The Andover is currently closed but will reopen in a few weeks. The Raven at the western end of Goldhawk Rd is a nice pub with four of five ales.

I've never been in the Weld but have heard it's pricey. Anyone have any suggestions ?
With so many pubs closed in the area over the last couple of decades, the choice is really very poor.

I quite like some of the beer Brewdog produces but they're expensive and some people have an issue with the whole business. I've had one or two nice IPAs in The Pocket Watch on the few occasions I've been in there. You do get a very decent pint of Guinness in the Shepherd and Flock.

That's about it.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:04 pm

dm wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:49 pm
222gers wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm
It would be in order to reciprocate and provide info regarding Real Ale in the vicinity of our ground. Sadly, the area isn't blessed with many pubs that are worth the candle. The two 'Spoons pubs in Hammersmith have a good range of ales but aren't what I would call good pubs. The Andover is currently closed but will reopen in a few weeks. The Raven at the western end of Goldhawk Rd is a nice pub with four of five ales.

I've never been in the Weld but have heard it's pricey. Anyone have any suggestions ?
With so many pubs closed in the area over the last couple of decades, the choice is really very poor.

I quite like some of the beer Brewdog produces but they're expensive and some people have an issue with the whole business. I've had one or two nice IPAs in The Pocket Watch on the few occasions I've been in there. You do get a very decent pint of Guinness in the Shepherd and Flock.

That's about it.
I forgot about the Tabard on Stamford Brook Road - a large selection of Real Ales but a tidy old walk to the ground,a good half hour or more. Slightly nearer is the Duchess of Cambridge at the eastern end of Stamford Brook Rd. However, I haven't been there for a long time as I had a bit of an issue over the condition of the ale. May be OK now though. I seem to remember them offering free pies to Rangers fans on Saturdays in the dim and distant past.

Pnealefan

Post by Pnealefan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys. We've tended to avoid the area around the ground in previous season as most places have been labelled home fans only bar some dump of a pub the @pnepolice guy says was home friendly.

Safe journey up.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Pnealefan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 pm
Thanks for the recommendations guys. We've tended to avoid the area around the ground in previous season as most places have been labelled home fans only bar some dump of a pub the @pnepolice guy says was home friendly.

Safe journey up.
You're right to avoid the pubs near the ground. Two handy pubs for Real Ale which are a bus ride from the ground are the Kings Arms at Putney bridge which is the only Wadworth pub in London and a bit nearer, in Fulham Palace Rd, is the Suffolk Punch which is now a West Berks Brewery pub. When you play at Brentford try the Magpie & Crown which is scruffy but sells great ale at under four quid and the Express which has about ten ales. I'm thinking you may have been to these on previous trips. Happy drinking !

wrinklyhoop
2010/11 Sponsor
2010/11 Sponsor

Post by wrinklyhoop » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 am

Settled on St Gregory's social club on the Blackpool Road. Parking for £3 and £1 entrance. No ales in sight, but a 'drinkable' pint of Boddingtons for around £3 and a pie and mushy peas for £2, so no overdraft needed. Plus only a couple of minutes walk from the away end.

Hope those cynical b*stards get promoted, so we don't have to endure their antics again.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am

For Preston fans travelling to us, the first stop has to be the Euston Tap. Then ... errr.

I have a CAMRA meeting tonight. I shall tell people about the recommendation of a Waddies pub. They will be baffled. A lot aren't overenamoured by the beer from our town's brewery.
I'm Ray Gardner. I drink Blackcurrant Tango. Come and get me!

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Don wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 am
For Preston fans travelling to us, the first stop has to be the Euston Tap. Then ... errr.

I have a CAMRA meeting tonight. I shall tell people about the recommendation of a Waddies pub. They will be baffled. A lot aren't overenamoured by the beer from our town's brewery.
Not the very best I grant you Don, but I have successfully slaked my thirst with Waddies Horizon quite a few times this boiling hot summer. Nice word slake........

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am

222gers wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:04 pm
Don wrote:

Not the very best I grant you Don, but I have successfully slaked my thirst with Waddies Horizon quite a few times this boiling hot summer. Nice word slake........
I'm going out on the slake tonight. I shall probably Hyperslake. Thanks 222, you've reminded me of an excellent word that I shall use at maximum inappropriateness.

Slake you very much.
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am

222gers wrote:
Don wrote:

Horizon is alright. Just don't go near the 'Game of Stones'.

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am

Don wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am
222gers wrote:
Don wrote:

Horizon is alright. Just don't go near the 'Game of Stones'.
I really like Horizon. Others I have enjoyed were the Rugby beer Dirty Rucker and George & Dragon. The others are unremarkable. 6X is, well, 6X.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

222gers wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am
I really like Horizon. Others I have enjoyed were the Rugby beer Dirty Rucker and George & Dragon. The others are unremarkable. 6X is, well, 6X.

6X is not what it was. As Waddies say themselves "6X originally had an ABV of 6% but this was reduced to 4.3% and later to 4.1% in draught, due to the rationing of raw ingredients during WWII." The war explains the original cut in ABV but the other (from 4.3) was in the last decade and was an attempt to reposition the beer in the free trade market. A couple of years ago, they did brew a small batch using the original recipe. Bloody lovely.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm

What's your opinion on the bottled "Old Crafty Hen" you can buy from Tesco's Don?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

Don
dot.org legend
dot.org legend

Post by Don » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 pm

I can't remember trying it. The Hens have become a bit rubbish under Greene King. This one might be interesting.

Any other Untappd users on here?

222gers
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by 222gers » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Don wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm
222gers wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am

6X is not what it was. As Waddies say themselves "6X originally had an ABV of 6% but this was reduced to 4.3% and later to 4.1% in draught, due to the rationing of raw ingredients during WWII." The war explains the original cut in ABV but the other (from 4.3) was in the last decade and was an attempt to reposition the beer in the free trade market. A couple of years ago, they did brew a small batch using the original recipe. Bloody lovely.
It's sad and annoying when a great beer disappears or is bastardised. My local brewery was Youngs - terrific beer. Then old John Young died and his family sold the brewery to property developers. Youngs beer production was switched to Charles Wells and it was rubbish despite the company saying itwas exactly the same. Now it's been moved on again to Marstons I think. I'm told it's still just a shadow of its glorious past.