Where next?

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

dm
dot.org player kit 2007
dot.org player kit 2007

Where next?

Post by dm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:27 am

After yesterday's BFG signing where next do we need to strengthen the squad?

There may be a case for another CB - SMc said they'd been looking for 'CBs' - plural. A like-for-like replacement for Robinson would be perfect - a LB that can play at CB. We have Hamalainan as cover at LB but I am not at all sure he's up to Championship standard.

A striker is, of course, a certainty - isn't it most transfer windows? I'm encouraged by the Hugill rumours. We may not get him but a loan must be a better option than paying the current massively inflated going rate for a half decent striker. Moving Washington on or loaning him out would be wise and help with the new striker wages.

So, I think those two positions in the first team squad and that will be it.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Re: Where next?

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am

I'm still keen on Kylian Mbappé :D
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

deadendjob
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by deadendjob » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 am

Off the top of my head we'd look like this:

GK
Ingram
Lumley

RB
Furlong
Baptiste

CB
Hall
Lynch
Leistner
NEW CB

LB
Bidwell
NEW LB

CM
Manning
Luongo
Scowen
Cousins
NEW CM

CAM
Freeman
Eze
NEW CAM

RM
Smyth
Wheeler
Wszołek

LM
BOS
Shodipo?
NEW LM

ST/CF
Sylla
Smith
Washington
Chair
Oteh
NEW ST

Devonranger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by Devonranger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:05 am

We look a bit light in the full back slots although would the cover at RB be split between Kakay and the young lad from Fulham who has just arrived?

Striker and may be the young lad from Kidderminster to add at centre back?

Think the midfield slots have quite alot options and we need to make sure boys are getting game time.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 am

We still have Niko Hamalainen and Giles Phillips as well in the first team squad.

RType
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by RType » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:22 pm

I think we'll get on or two more defenders and a striker (probably on loan) and that'll be it unless we sell anyone else

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 pm

deadendjob wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 am
Off the top of my head we'd look like this:

GK
Ingram
Lumley

RB
Furlong
Baptiste

CB
Hall
Lynch
Leistner
NEW CB

LB
Bidwell
NEW LB

CM
Manning
Luongo
Scowen
Cousins
NEW CM

CAM
Freeman
Eze
NEW CAM

RM
Smyth
Wheeler
Wszołek

LM
BOS
Shodipo?
NEW LM

ST/CF
Sylla
Smith
Washington
Chair
Oteh
NEW ST
Baptiste can also cover at CB, i wouldn't mind seeing Manning at LB again, although he might get found out. I guess a lot is dependant on how much football the club think they'll get out of Grant Hall. I don't think we need another CM, cover for Scowen would be welcome but probably not a priority. I don't know if it was money or fitness but in theory i think Perch would have been worth hanging on to. Maybe McClaren can get something out of Goss as well.

I think Chair is your 3rd AM, more than he is a striker. Really Smith, Sylla and Washington are the only central strikers, although i think Smyth could be. I'm looking forward to seeing what McClaren can get out of Sylla and hopefully we'll see Shodipo again. Until we know the system it's hard to know where we should strengthen really.

old pauline
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by old pauline » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:01 pm

I really wouldn't pursue Washington as a striker. He doesn't have the burst of pace needed to get in behind and he isn't quick footed enough either. I think the only role for him is wide left if we happen to go 5 across the middle of three up front.
Come on you Sooopa ........

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I actually think he does a decent Job on the left, but isn't quite as tricky as some. I'm curious how he would do in a 2 and with a new coach but it isn't really a formation that suits us. Maybe a role as a sub, there are certainly some parallels with Mackie, although he'd need a bit of a confidence boost.

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 pm

As a LM I would him behind both BOS and Shodipo for different reasons. Unless SMC is about to perfom a miracle I feel that Washington is just one of those signings where it just didn't work out for either party. No complaints about his work ethic or his commitment either, just not a part in the puzzle wrt QPR.

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:09 pm
As a LM I would him behind both BOS and Shodipo for different reasons. Unless SMC is about to perfom a miracle I feel that Washington is just one of those signings where it just didn't work out for either party. No complaints about his work ethic or his commitment either, just not a part in the puzzle wrt QPR.
Agreed, i'd have those ahead of him, unless you wanted someone to provide a bit more cover. I haven't got an issue in general but i did feel he started to hide a bit as his confidence dropped. I like BOS and i really hope SMC can get Shodipo back involved. I thought Holloway's treatment of him was appalling.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Satch wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm
I actually think he does a decent Job on the left, but isn't quite as tricky as some. I'm curious how he would do in a 2 and with a new coach but it isn't really a formation that suits us. Maybe a role as a sub, there are certainly some parallels with Mackie, although he'd need a bit of a confidence boost.
My own curiosity about Washie is at an end - he hasn't done well in any configuration up top. Just for the record, we reportedly paid the same fee for him that we've sold Smithies for. Not a great reflection at both ends is it, business-wise?

I'd cut my losses on him if we can - £1m would be acceptable if we can get it. He needs to move back down a league if we're to one day move up one. Sorry Conor!
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Satch
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Satch » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 am

I don't recall it ever being suggested we paid that much for him. Tbf, he was a player getting goals in the league below, i don't remember many complaints when we signed him and to put it in perspective, it's about what we paid for Mike Sheron. It really hasn't worked out well for him or us, which is a shame. Feels like a signing that's worked out badly, rather than a bad signing.

BiscuitRanger
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by BiscuitRanger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:51 am

My first response, naturally, was pub.
Looking at the remaining squad it doesn't look too shabby. I think we will surprise this season.
C'Mon U RRR'sss
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

ZENITH R

Post by ZENITH R » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 am

Well, before we rush to end his QPR career ... how about seeing what Steve M can do with him first.

A change of coach and approach can sometimes work wonders.

I'd keep him, but if we see the same as before in the first 4 months of the season, consider letting him go in January.
Saturday 9th November 1968: QPR V Burnley in the First Division - I saw the Hoops for the first time and my obsession began!

Remember:
Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.