Steve Mcclaren

Serious QPR topics only. Posted images may be deleted. Off-topic or thread hijacking posts will be moved/removed and posters disallowed access to this forum. NO TICKET RELATED POSTS. ALL TICKET RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please put ticket related posts in the right place only.

Moderators: nige101uk, willesdenr, qprdotorgadmin, ZENITH R, Virginia_R

n22hoop
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Re: Steve Mcclaren

Post by n22hoop » Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 am

Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 am
n22hoop wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am
willo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:33 pm

To attempt to dismiss criticism of the way you behave on here by claiming obsession is frankly quite sad. Cop yourself on man.
Obsession is having almost 20k posts on this message board. Obsessed with the sound of his own opinion.

Empty vessels make the most noise.....
consider it as spreading enlightenment :D
Odious individual
"Football is the love of form. A spectacle that scarcely leaves a trace in the memory and does not enrich or impoverish knowledge. This is its appeal : it is exciting and empty." Mario Vargas Llosa

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Sat May 12, 2018 12:02 pm

n22hoop wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:00 am
Esox Lucius wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:57 am
n22hoop wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 am

Obsession is having almost 20k posts on this message board. Obsessed with the sound of his own opinion.

Empty vessels make the most noise.....
consider it as spreading enlightenment :D
Odious individual
Are you standing in front of a mirror?
It's not the despair that will kill you, it's the hope.

QPR-NI
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by QPR-NI » Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm

McClaren to be confirmed in next 24hrs according to Sky Sports.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

It's academic now, I guess, but I think most of us would have reasonably happily sucked up the prospect of Steve McClaren coming in as a coach and right-hand man to Ollie, rather than unceremoniously - and indeed distastefully - displacing him in the way it looks likely he's to be foisted on the fanbase. (I wonder if this was on the table at any stage, though my hunch is, if it was, it wasn't sellable to either or both.) We know or believe SM may be a half-decent coach, but a proven occupant of the hot seat he certainly ain't. It's certainly going to be an interesting year, as we go into the club's self-proclaimed 'next step' - which I think of a bit like dumping the devoted and loyal next door, but who looks a bit like an 'orse and who hasn't read much, just because you think you're going to some tinpot University and believe you're on your way up in the world.

What really sticks in my craw is that Ollie should be dismissed after the final game, so the likes of Hoos and Tony were able to avoid any ire from fans, but also meaning we weren't able to give the manager the send-off he deserved. (I wonder how long it will take him to be inducted in the QPR Forever Rs, once Andy S. has worked through the backlog of Ron Abbott, Simon Osborn and Rachid 'The Bash' Harkouk, but am not holding my breath.)

I also wonder how the players will be feeling, many of whom IH has brought through this season personally. Presumably, even though they're pro footballers, they do give a shit.

I hope McClaren, if he is to come, accepts he's got a lot to prove, even at his age. Post Middlesbrough and England, just to put his career in context, the guy's had EIGHT coaching/management jobs in the last NINE years (including two spells at Derby and Twente) - six of which lasted a year or less. Was bombed out of Newcastle, Wolfsburg, Derby (twice) and fell on his sword after five minutes at Forest. Also hardly covered himself in glory with England. So, he was decent at Twente and Boro years ago now, and that's about it. Patchy is probably about the kindest word one can use.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd say the idea that his record makes him a clearly superior managerial candidate to Ian Holloway at worst a risky wager, and at best wishful thinking. But, obviously Hoos and Tony know a lot more about football than I do, so I'd better just get on with 'supporting the team', and trust their evident expertise in appointing the top talent and then keeping faith with their own decisions. aniwall
"There's a blue light/in my best friend's room" -Mazzy Star

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Do you seriously think that SMC would come in as understudy to IH? Give your head a wobble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Incidentally, run his historical record alongside IH's and you will be suitably upset.
Last edited by Esox Lucius on Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Duck
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by White Duck » Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm
What really sticks in my craw is that Ollie should be dismissed after the final game, so the likes of Hoos and Tony were able to avoid any ire from fans, but also meaning we weren't able to give the manager the send-off he deserved. (I wonder how long it will take him to be inducted in the QPR Forever Rs, once Andy S. has worked through the backlog of Ron Abbott, Simon Osborn and Rachid 'The Bash' Harkouk, but am not holding my breath.)
Yeah I made that first point when the news first broke: a real shame we could not show him how much we appreciated him at the Birmingham game.

Hopefully he will be one of the inductees into Forever Rs next season though it might be too much too soon for him.....
Lex Talionis........

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Esox Lucius wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:00 pm
Do you seriously think that SMC would come in as understudy to IH? Give your head a wobble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Incidentally, run his historical record alongside IH's and you will be suitably upset.
I didn't say as his 'understudy' - I said as his coach.

And I already did run his record against IH's, thanks very much - it's no better, and if anything worse. Ian isn't Warnock-esque, nor is he not the greatest tactician as we all know, but he gets clubs promoted.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

White Duck wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 pm
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Yeah I made that first point when the news first broke: a real shame we could not show him how much we appreciated him at the Birmingham game.

Hopefully he will be one of the inductees into Forever Rs next season though it might be too much too soon for him.....
I bet they won't be inducting Ollie for years, if ever. Hoos says they'd welcome him back to LR with open arms - isn't that big of him/them ? - but, if I were Ollie, I'd be staying a long way away from those backstabbers for the foreseeable.

westlondonlalala
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by westlondonlalala » Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm
White Duck wrote:
stainrod's elbow wrote:

I bet they won't be inducting Ollie for years, if ever. Hoos says they'd welcome him back to LR with open arms - isn't that big of him/them ? - but, if I were Ollie, I'd be staying a long way away from those backstabbers for the foreseeable.
He was paid well don’t forget that, it’s not like he was on national minimum wage & now he’s homeless.

You & he may feel aggrieved but it’s the nature of the sport I’m afraid, If your looking for loyalty & sentiment then your following the wrong game.

What about the rest of the managers we gave the tin tac to I.e Warnock & JFH? Did we stab those in the back or are you purely basing your grievance on league position?

Esox Lucius
dot.org vip
dot.org vip

Post by Esox Lucius » Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:11 pm
Esox Lucius wrote:

And I already did run his record against IH's, thanks very much - it's no better, and if anything worse. Ian isn't Warnock-esque, nor is he not the greatest tactician as we all know, but he gets clubs promoted.
Seriously??? Using win % as the metric, as it seems to be the most common, SMC is a few points higher overall at most of his clubs and he has won the national title at one his clubs and managed the National side.
*For the purposes of my comment, having SMC as a coach under IH is synonymous with being his understudy.

Stans left foot
Level 4 dot.orger
Level 4 dot.orger

Post by Stans left foot » Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 am

Life can be a bitch, especially for Derby it seems

be ironic if next season we beat them in the play-offs, again.

With Steefie in charge v his old club who found him less than worthless and spat him out.
Stranger things have happened....
"Fing Poo Wah" ( your comments are as much interest to me as a dogs fart ).

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Really ?

5 years at Boro in the PL, during which time they won the League Cup, reached the final of the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup semi-final. Won the Dutch title with FC Twente and managed in the Bundesliga. He's also managed his country, even if his country would rather forget that.

That's more than the likes of Harry Redknapp have ever managed, and he's still seen as some wise old managerial owl.

Granted he's been much less successful in recent years, but he did very well at Derby first time round, and had they won the play-off final (as they should have done), he'd be perceived very differently now. Small margins and all that.
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed May 16, 2018 12:06 pm

westlondonlalala wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm
White Duck wrote:

He was paid well don’t forget that, it’s not like he was on national minimum wage & now he’s homeless.

You & he may feel aggrieved but it’s the nature of the sport I’m afraid, If your looking for loyalty & sentiment then your following the wrong game.

What about the rest of the managers we gave the tin tac to I.e Warnock & JFH? Did we stab those in the back or are you purely basing your grievance on league position?
Great- so we come back, yet again, to the pecuniary gains of being a football manager supposedly trumping all other values. Have a word with yourself!

I'm not following the 'wrong game' - I'm following a vision of the game that's precious and real (for some, if not many). We've loved the likes of Alan McDonald, Kevin Gallen and Jamie Mackie because they clearly loved QPR. If you think the game is just about money, go and get sloshed with Ian Taylor and Lee Hoos.

Yes, for the record, I do think Warnock was rather badly treated, and even said on his podcast he regretted sacking him.

stainrod's elbow
Level 3 dot.orger
Level 3 dot.orger

Post by stainrod's elbow » Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

UxbridgeR wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am
stainrod's elbow wrote:
Esox Lucius wrote:

Really ?

5 years at Boro in the PL, during which time they won the League Cup, reached the final of the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup semi-final. Won the Dutch title with FC Twente and managed in the Bundesliga. He's also managed his country, even if his country would rather forget that.

That's more than the likes of Harry Redknapp have ever managed, and he's still seen as some wise old managerial owl.

Granted he's been much less successful in recent years, but he did very well at Derby first time round, and had they won the play-off final (as they should have done), he'd be perceived very differently now. Small margins and all that.
I've written in more detail about McClaren's record in another thread. He's not been completely useless, obviously, but Mboro was quite a while ago now, and had money thrown at it. He's won a championship in another league. Most of the rest of his record in England has been mediocre/uneven to poor, and overall patchy at best. And you're hardly strengthening your argument by citing his time with England - though you seem more concerned with using it to bait 'Arry, i.e preaching to the converted (who did, however, win the playoff final, as I remember, with the one moment of decisive quality on the day from one of 'his' players).

I'd say SM needs us more than vice-versa right now, and he's one of the few managers who would come (like Ian was), but doesn't even have the advantage of Ollie's home-spun passion and affinity with the crowd. I will need to be won over, and think it could quite easily go tits up.

UxbridgeR
Level 5 dot.orger
Level 5 dot.orger

Post by UxbridgeR » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

stainrod's elbow wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

I've written in more detail about McClaren's record in another thread. He's not been completely useless, obviously, but Mboro was quite a while ago now, and had money thrown at it. He's won a championship in another league. Most of the rest of his record in England has been mediocre/uneven to poor, and overall patchy at best. And you're hardly strengthening your argument by citing his time with England - though you seem more concerned with using it to bait 'Arry, i.e preaching to the converted (who did, however, win the playoff final, as I remember, with the one moment of decisive quality on the day from one of 'his' players).

I'd say SM needs us more than vice-versa right now, and he's one of the few managers who would come (like Ian was), but doesn't even have the advantage of Ollie's home-spun passion and affinity with the crowd. I will need to be won over, and think it could quite easily go tits up.
Zamora was a Hughes signing.

The point about the England job is that SM was highly rated enough to be considered and ultimately appointed. No disrespect to IH, but I doubt he will ever be in that position.

It's fair enough to be sceptical about SM, but I can't really understand your attitude to Holloway's departure. You were regularly critical of him when he was here, but now he's gone, we're in full on grieving mode. What changed ?
Are headphones getting bigger, or are idiots getting smaller ?